Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: sonyeoshin
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Note: free meals in E+ have been discontinued since COVID.

Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E- (retired)
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat J / 42 E+ / 118 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28J,102E+,234E-)
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 777-200 Polaris/PremPlus seats
Everything You Want to Know about Where to Sit on 787-9 true Polaris and PP version
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin. Do be aware of the potential unscheduled swap to a domestic non lie flat aircraft, such as a 737 or 753.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Old Jan 16, 2023, 10:29 pm
  #151  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: TOA
Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Posts: 20,061
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Hope UA can expedite the 746 Polaris configuration.
I look forward to flying that configuration of the 747!

David
nexus7556 likes this.
DELee is offline  
Old Jan 16, 2023, 11:29 pm
  #152  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 1999
Posts: 11,500
Originally Posted by Repooc17
752 (757-200) deployment has been normal on this route, and would not be considered as changes. Pick any date, and you will see them, especially the first flight of the day, last flight of the day, and mid-day flight, basically time of the day with smaller traffic.

772 domestic configuration (2-4-2), yes, that would be a change.
This will pretty much eliminate Premium Economy then ... ?? .....
Repooc17 likes this.
cesco.g is offline  
Old Jan 17, 2023, 10:22 am
  #153  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Apr 2003
Location: FLL, MEL, SIN, WAS
Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Posts: 12,493
Originally Posted by DELee
I look forward to flying that configuration of the 747!

David
typo… should be 764
DELee likes this.
UA_Flyer is offline  
Old Jan 17, 2023, 11:51 am
  #154  
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 1,656
So is it likely the post-May 5 schedule will be updated with more PE options, or are those planes committed elsewhere, and what you see is what you get with the late spring/summer schedule?

Or no one here has any idea
ucdtim17 is offline  
Old Jan 18, 2023, 9:34 am
  #155  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Programs: AA PP, UA Platinum/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
Posts: 1,464
Originally Posted by cesco.g
This will pretty much eliminate Premium Economy then ... ?? .....
No PE. And the E+/E- seats would have not seat back video with the non ER variant of the 777 HDs.
Infinite1K is offline  
Old Jan 18, 2023, 11:01 am
  #156  
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: SAN
Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Posts: 6,857
If it's true that the 77Ws/781s/788s/789s currently used on these routes are going to be replaced with 772s and 752s, it will be quite interesting to see what happens. I failed upgrades 90% of the time last year, and so far it's not looking any better. Obviously there's demand for paid J no matter what the cost...but will that remain if non-Polarized planes are used?
as219 is online now  
Old Jan 18, 2023, 12:28 pm
  #157  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Programs: AA PP, UA Platinum/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
Posts: 1,464
Originally Posted by as219
If it's true that the 77Ws/781s/788s/789s currently used on these routes are going to be replaced with 772s and 752s, it will be quite interesting to see what happens. I failed upgrades 90% of the time last year, and so far it's not looking any better. Obviously there's demand for paid J no matter what the cost...but will that remain if non-Polarized planes are used?
Not to mention that people that have been paying for business and gotten used to the true Polaris seating (1-2-1) during the COVID years. Add in the inferior food and beverage situation with United and it could have interesting results.
Infinite1K is offline  
Old Jan 19, 2023, 12:01 pm
  #158  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Posts: 4,192
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Not to mention that people that have been paying for business and gotten used to the true Polaris seating (1-2-1) during the COVID years. Add in the inferior food and beverage situation with United and it could have interesting results.
I travel round trip from NYC to Orange County, CA, many times per year. Despite the much longer car ride to and from LAX, I have been flying EWR-LAX specifically to enjoy the Polaris seats on widebodies instead of 737-700. If they mostly evaporate, my calculus may shift a bit, as the 757 lie-flat isn't as much better than the 737-700 than the Polaris seat... The other factor in my decision tree I should point out is that Javi's restaurant at SNA is gone & getting their burritos to eat on the plane & drinking a cocktail while waiting for it to be prepared was an SNA attractor for me...
physioprof is offline  
Old Jan 19, 2023, 12:29 pm
  #159  
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: PHX
Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Posts: 57,201
Originally Posted by physioprof
I travel round trip from NYC to Orange County, CA, many times per year. Despite the much longer car ride to and from LAX, I have been flying EWR-LAX specifically to enjoy the Polaris seats on widebodies instead of 737-700. If they mostly evaporate, my calculus may shift a bit, as the 757 lie-flat isn't as much better than the 737-700 than the Polaris seat... The other factor in my decision tree I should point out is that Javi's restaurant at SNA is gone & getting their burritos to eat on the plane & drinking a cocktail while waiting for it to be prepared was an SNA attractor for me...
Why not AA SNA-JFK on the 321T?
Kacee is offline  
Old Jan 19, 2023, 12:35 pm
  #160  
 
Join Date: Feb 2015
Programs: UA 1K
Posts: 960
I don't know if this has any impact (probably doesn't), and it's also third party hearsay...... But I have two college friends who work in tech in SF. Not in same company, but aligned. Anyway, one of them hadn't seen the inside of a terminal at SFO in years and the other somewhat inconsistently. Their companies simply flew their own planes or chartered them where needed. That has absolutely cratered in the past year+, as in-person needs have shifted dramatically along with budgets. Again, I don't know if this phenomenoon is large enough to have any impact on the market, but when their companies travel now they're simply booked as rev passengers up front. An $11k J ticket for a 3 day trip to London would be nothing.
gold23 is offline  
Old Jan 19, 2023, 12:58 pm
  #161  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Programs: AA PP, UA Platinum/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
Posts: 1,464
Originally Posted by gold23
I don't know if this has any impact (probably doesn't), and it's also third party hearsay...... But I have two college friends who work in tech in SF. Not in same company, but aligned. Anyway, one of them hadn't seen the inside of a terminal at SFO in years and the other somewhat inconsistently. Their companies simply flew their own planes or chartered them where needed. That has absolutely cratered in the past year+, as in-person needs have shifted dramatically along with budgets. Again, I don't know if this phenomenoon is large enough to have any impact on the market, but when their companies travel now they're simply booked as rev passengers up front. An $11k J ticket for a 3 day trip to London would be nothing.
Interesting data point about flying to London, but this thread is about the EWR-LAX/SFO routes specifically. Also while quite a few companies will spring for business class for 10+ hour route to London, they are not going to do that for a "domestic" trip.
Infinite1K is offline  
Old Jan 20, 2023, 4:55 am
  #162  
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Programs: AA PP, UA Platinum/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Diamond
Posts: 1,464
I got a notification in the United app about pre ordering meals and beverages for an upcoming “p.s.” flight in J. However no reference was made to where you could pre order and I don’t see any options when looking at my reservation. Anyone else experience this?
Infinite1K is offline  
Old Jan 21, 2023, 12:39 pm
  #163  
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Posts: 4,192
Originally Posted by Kacee
Why not AA SNA-JFK on the 321T?
(1) We greatly prefer EWR to JFK. Whether this is a rational preference is definitely a valid inquiry...

(2) We have loyalty to UA & choose to keep trying to make GS status. Whether this is a rational preference is definitely a valid inquiry...
SPN Lifer, Kacee and techtwink like this.
physioprof is offline  
Old Jan 26, 2023, 5:12 pm
  #164  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SFO/SJC
Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Posts: 14,984
We’re booked in Premium plus on a EWR-SFO in a few weeks. Hard to believe but it’s been years since I’ve flown this route.

Can anyone who’s flown in PP recently share what to expect on the flight. I assume there will be dinner options (early afternoon departure) - anyone know if there is typically a veg option offered? And if these meals are closer to economy (on TATL/TPAC, since obviously most domestic don’t offer that) or closer to the biz offering. Just trying to gage what to expect.

might actually book another flight on this route in Y soon. Is there any distinction in Y on these premium transcon services compared to regular domestic service, other than the improved aircraft compared to say, 737s?
emcampbe is online now  
Old Jan 26, 2023, 5:19 pm
  #165  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Aug 2017
Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Posts: 10,886
Originally Posted by emcampbe
We’re booked in Premium plus on a EWR-SFO in a few weeks. Hard to believe but it’s been years since I’ve flown this route.

Can anyone who’s flown in PP recently share what to expect on the flight. I assume there will be dinner options (early afternoon departure) - anyone know if there is typically a veg option offered? And if these meals are closer to economy (on TATL/TPAC, since obviously most domestic don’t offer that) or closer to the biz offering. Just trying to gage what to expect.

might actually book another flight on this route in Y soon. Is there any distinction in Y on these premium transcon services compared to regular domestic service, other than the improved aircraft compared to say, 737s?
Same as the meal up front, which isn't great. the menu hasn't changed in years, so it will be the same selection as what you had previously.

Don't expect much.
emcampbe likes this.
Repooc17 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.