Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jan 26, 2023, 7:56 pm

Originally Posted by ucdtim17
So is it likely the post-May 5 schedule will be updated with more PE options, or are those planes committed elsewhere, and what you see is what you get with the late spring/summer schedule?

Or no one here has any idea
Schedule updated through 6/1, adding an 8:30 am 77W SFO-EWR leg. Pricing still on the high end.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 10:27 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
Post-May Transcon losing Polaris seating

For the last few year, 80%+ of the SFO - EWR and LAX-EWR flights have been the new polaris seating. It seems like starting in May, only 1 flight per day is using the new polaris seating, and the rest are the old 777-200s or 757 lie flats.

Does anyone have insight into the reason for this or if it's just a temporary placeholder?
Old Feb 2, 2023, 10:29 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I would wait. The schedule is not final yet.
SPN Lifer and JALsnipe like this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 10:51 am

Programs: UA 1K, JetBlue Mosaic
Happens every year - aircraft schedules not final and will change at least once between now and the date of the flight as EWR764 said.

Last march I saw the 777HDs return to EWR-SFO and were swapped out about a month before departure. J inventory was zeroed out as well until the aircraft was finalized.

SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 10:52 am

Programs: Mileage Plus
Good to know, thanks!
Old Feb 2, 2023, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
This has been discussed in the main premium transcon thread. The feeling is that the polarized widebodies are going to move (back) to int'l routes. But, of course, who knows...
Old Feb 2, 2023, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by JALsnipe
Happens every year - aircraft schedules not final and will change at least once between now and the date of the flight as EWR764 said.

Last march I saw the 777HDs return to EWR-SFO and were swapped out about a month before departure. J inventory was zeroed out as well until the aircraft was finalized.

Just booked a 777-200 EWR-SFO on 4/11. Polaris 3L 6:05 PM timeslot. The 5:00 PM had the old style 777 and the 8:50 PM has the 757. Hoping that they don't swap the plane, but I am fully expecting it. I wish the FAA just made United scrap the Pratt & Whitney 777s for good. Why United decided to bring back the dorm style business class seating is beyond me. I was seriously considering flying to LAX earlier in the day and connecting up to SFO in favor of the 787-10, but I'll give United a chance on this and there is no guarantee that the LAX route won't aircraft swap.

Last edited by morria26; Feb 2, 2023 at 1:12 pm
Old Feb 2, 2023, 2:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K & 2MM, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by as219
This has been discussed in the main premium transcon thread. The feeling is that the polarized widebodies are going to move (back) to int'l routes. But, of course, who knows...
A key dynamic this year is the return of many flights to Asia (Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc.), which along with another year of an expanded schedule to Europe leaves fewer Polarized planes for domestic routes. The transcon and Hawai'i Polaris-fest was fun while it lasted.
nnn likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lotemblizej
A key dynamic this year is the return of many flights to Asia (Hong Kong, Tokyo, etc.), which along with another year of an expanded schedule to Europe leaves fewer Polarized planes for domestic routes. The transcon and Hawai'i Polaris-fest was fun while it lasted.
Agreed. But here's the thing: the 777s and 787s I've been on have been either sold out completely in all classes or near sold-out. That's a lot of capacity to lose if the move the widebodies to Asia routes and go back to all 752s. What are they going to do?
Old Feb 2, 2023, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Agreed. But here's the thing: the 777s and 787s I've been on have been either sold out completely in all classes or near sold-out. That's a lot of capacity to lose if the move the widebodies to Asia routes and go back to all 752s. What are they going to do?
To start you'd have to look at other flights those days to see if the widebodies are pulling pax from other flights. Then you have to figure out whether UA is flying too much capacity on other, smaller routes where they can shift some planes to transcon to make up that capacity (say 2x 73X vs. 789). And if all else fails, fares go up!
Old Feb 2, 2023, 6:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
I doubt they are going to all 752 - even pre-pandemic they had widebodies running, though many were the domestic 777.

Which I presume they could/would use on some of those frequencies. Are there any of those 777HD still in storage? If so, they could always bring those back into service.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 9:22 pm

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
I doubt they are going to all 752 - even pre-pandemic they had widebodies running, though many were the domestic 777.

Which I presume they could/would use on some of those frequencies. Are there any of those 777HD still in storage? If so, they could always bring those back into service.
Pre-pandemic they also had the sUA 752 with 28J. But either way, the sCO 752 or the 777HD is going have drastic reduction of premium seating. And given the pathetic catering gives even more reason for people to fly the other options on these routes.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 9:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Are the sUA 752s really gone or could they be de-mothablled? I sure do miss those.
Old Feb 2, 2023, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Are the sUA 752s really gone or could they be de-mothablled? I sure do miss those.
Some are gone, some are mothballed: (from the UA fleet website: https://sites.google.com/site/unitedfleetsite/ and the removals page: https://sites.google.com/site/united...nline-aircraft)

Probably gotta ask folks like Bunky and UAinAUS about any de-mothballing options.

​​​​​​​David
MatthewLAX likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 1:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Those PMUA 752 were the original PS aircrafts. Truly a sentimemtal favorites of many FTers in this forum.

My memory is fading, but I recall those PW engines and airframes require heavy mantenance to comply with Federal safty stanrads that would cost several 10s of milions per aircraft. It would be hard to bringback those stored birds.
Perhaps our experts in this thread can share more. relevant informaiton.
MatthewLAX likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.