Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2023, 10:22 am

Programs: AA PP, UA 1K/MM, WoH Globalist, HH Gold
Originally Posted by MrAndy1369
I noticed on a couple of EWR-LAX flights, the 777-222 (presumably the "ghetto" domestic 777) were used. Wouldn't this route be completely Polaris, using the 77W/787's?
All 777-222 are not equal. You’ll want to check the seatmaps, though that is no guarantee if there is a plane swap.

But yes, the recent schedule has LAX downgraded to mostly 757 and 777. One of the 777s is a Polaris, the rest HD. If you want to guarantee Polaris, there is a single 78X that remains.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Kacee
There's no guarantee of a lie flat. UA has subbed 753s and 739s.
UA guarantees it as much as anything can be guaranteed. Means they will pay you a compensation when they can't have a lie-flat aircraft on that route.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 6:16 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cfischer
UA guarantees it as much as anything can be guaranteed. Means they will pay you a compensation when they can't have a lie-flat aircraft on that route.
Nope. Several recent reports of no comp for no lie flat.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 15, 2023, 10:44 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
If true, then that might warrant a DOT complaint if I was sold something they clearly advertise but didn't fulfill

https://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly...-services.html
Old Jul 15, 2023, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, Amtrak Guest Rewards
We’re flying on UA2097 9:40pm SFO-EWR in Mid November in J. Should we expect a full meal dinner or just a snack?

1. Flight shows snack, but UA.com shows a "hot meal on all flights 800 miles or greater"
UA.com North American Dining

2. I flew this same flight back in August 2022 and it listed a snack but had a full dinner. Granted it was a 9:00pm departure then.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 5:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by phkc070408
We’re flying on UA2097 9:40pm SFO-EWR in Mid November in J. Should we expect a full meal dinner or just a snack?

1. Flight shows snack, but UA.com shows a "hot meal on all flights 800 miles or greater"
UA.com North American Dining

2. I flew this same flight back in August 2022 and it listed a snack but had a full dinner. Granted it was a 9:00pm departure then.
Yes, a meal will be available.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 10:39 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Good news bad news, my wife got upgraded on yesterday's SFO-EWR to PS and enjoyed the UC access even though she is no longer a member. However, the bad news was the flight was cancelled ("mechanical") and had to fly another carrier to get to NYC AM (AA into JFK). Of course money and soon to expire PPs refunded. FWIW, she purchased business on AA and said she preferred the AA hard product on this route to UA's PS. I can't comment as I have not flown AA into JFK for years now from SFO.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 10:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
plenty of reports receiving comp. UA advertises this, they would get into some significant issues if they don't provide compensation.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by nomad420
Good news bad news, my wife got upgraded on yesterday's SFO-EWR to PS and enjoyed the UC access even though she is no longer a member. However, the bad news was the flight was cancelled ("mechanical") and had to fly another carrier to get to NYC AM (AA into JFK). Of course money and soon to expire PPs refunded. FWIW, she purchased business on AA and said she preferred the AA hard product on this route to UA's PS. I can't comment as I have not flown AA into JFK for years now from SFO.
Shame she wasn’t able to get booked on AA via UA and still get ORC. And she could have still credited her AA flight.

And she isn’t the only to have a preference for the AA A321T business seats versus UA Polaris. I also think the food as well as the lounge access (LAX/JFK sides) are better than UC access. Last but not least you can use showers with AA before/after since, AC (SFO), FL (LAX), and Greenwich (JFK) have showers.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Also, on a couple of LAX flights Premium Economy is offered for sale, which can be an issue in case of a change to a non-Polaris bird.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 11:10 am

Programs: UA MM Plat, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
Shame she wasn’t able to get booked on AA via UA and still get ORC. And she could have still credited her AA flight.

And she isn’t the only to have a preference for the AA A321T business seats versus UA Polaris. I also think the food as well as the lounge access (LAX/JFK sides) are better than UC access. Last but not least you can use showers with AA before/after since, AC (SFO), FL (LAX), and Greenwich (JFK) have showers.
UA was offering her less desirable flight time on their equipment of course. She booked the AA flilght on her own as she needed to get to NYC ASAP. AA's A321T looked nice on the images I have seen of it. Isn't that a 3 class flight with a F section as well?
Old Jul 16, 2023, 11:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by Infinite1K
United would not oblige even if asked, let alone offering proactively, especially on the premium transcon route.

UA was offering her less desirable flight time on their equipment of course. She booked the AA flilght on her own as she needed to get to NYC ASAP. AA's A321T looked nice on the images I have seen of it. Isn't that a 3 class flight with a F section as well?
Yep. Have done AA F cross country a few times on miles. Excellent experience both on the ground and in the air. I really enjoy the nap room at the AA AC at SFO.
Old Jul 16, 2023, 12:31 pm

Yes, they also have a F cabin. 1-1 configuration, slightly better food and access to better lounges (JFK Chelsea, LAX FFD when it was open).
Old Jul 18, 2023, 6:26 pm

Programs: UA Plat
Is there any difference between economy and economy plus? The United website says

Enhanced service

Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights enjoy extra legroom and will receive free non-alcoholic drinks and snacks.
http://www.united.com/ual/en/us/fly/...-services.html
​​​​​​​
But aren’t non-alcoholic drinks and some small snacks already free in economy? I remember pre-COVID there was a brief period of time that alcoholic drinks and hot meals were free for economy plus.
Old Jul 18, 2023, 6:51 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion; IHG Platinum; Marriott Gold; Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by cesco.g
Also, on a couple of LAX flights Premium Economy is offered for sale, which can be an issue in case of a change to a non-Polaris bird.
So what kind of compensation occurs when that happens? I normally fly Delta but booked a Premium Economy EWR-SFO seat on United which seems more comfortable than Comfort+ on a Delta 757 (Delta downgraded that route to all 757s while JFK-LAX is all 767s). Is it possible that if the aircraft is swapped I might end up in regular economy and not even Economy Plus?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.