Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2015, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service
Print Wikipost

Premium Transcon Service SFO/LAX<>EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Search this Thread

Old Feb 3, 2023, 7:10 am

Location: NY Tri state- but hangs out in nicer weather in west coast
Programs: CO Plat, National VIP, Avis PC,
For transcon, how big of a difference is Premium Economy vs Business?

For the EWR to SFO route (777). If I am not going to be sleeping on the plane, how big of a difference is the experience in Premium Economy to Business? Generally, I am used to flying Economy Plus, so its not like I am used to something better. I would be using mileage, and Business is double the amount of points.

Thank you
Old Feb 3, 2023, 7:30 am

I view Business Class as a sleep necessity. If it's a daytime flight and I plan on reading, watching videos, etc. I'll usually pick a good Economy Plus or Premium Economy (if its offered) seat.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 7:46 am
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
1) You'll have more space to yourself in J vs PP, as PP seats are akin to domestic first seats, with potential for middle seats.

2) More attentive service. While the food is the same, they only do two rounds of drinks in PP. The expectation is that the FA should walk through J aisles more often, but that may not always be the case.

3) Access to UC before and after the flight in J.

4) No fees for bags between 50-70lb in J.
findark likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 8:53 am

Location: NY Tri state- but hangs out in nicer weather in west coast
Programs: CO Plat, National VIP, Avis PC,
Thank you.
I have access to UC via my membership and I am flying with a carry-on only. I dont mind getting up to ask for another drink if I need one. I guess the big difference is the more private space.

Thank you
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by drewguy
Domestic J gets UC access on widebody flights?
No. Domestic business AKA premium transcontinental routes in J get UC access.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 11:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
I usually always slum with the rest of the commoners in the back unless my upgrade clear. PE not enough of an incentive for me to buy up.

Both PE and J seats are tight for my likes. Ironically, I am a lean person

Also, east bound flights can be well under 5 hours depending on tail wind, so a relatively quick flight.

I have been traveling every week between NY and SF, but not on UA though, which I am happy about.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 12:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by ghurty
I guess the big difference is the more private space.
The big difference is not the space, it's the lie-flat seat.
as219 likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by flight_hacker
For the last few year, 80%+ of the SFO - EWR and LAX-EWR flights have been the new polaris seating. It seems like starting in May, only 1 flight per day is using the new polaris seating, and the rest are the old 777-200s or 757 lie flats.

Does anyone have insight into the reason for this or if it's just a temporary placeholder?
She may be old, toothless with her best days behind her, but that temptress Europe still manages to lure our svelte, big boys away every summer.
Daze likes this.
Old Feb 3, 2023, 8:52 pm

Programs: UA GS 4MM, RCC life member (paid), Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, CLEAR
Originally Posted by flight_hacker
For the last few year, 80%+ of the SFO - EWR and LAX-EWR flights have been the new polaris seating. It seems like starting in May, only 1 flight per day is using the new polaris seating, and the rest are the old 777-200s or 757 lie flats.

Does anyone have insight into the reason for this or if it's just a temporary placeholder?
Just found out my June 2-4 SFO-EWR flights have changed schedules and planes. My outbound now changes from 777-200 Dorm style to 787-9. There were no Polaris / Premium Economy on that day before.
My inbound was on the only 787-9 that day originally. So I was able to buy a Premium Economy and raise my chance for upgrading to J. The new schedule now has a couple more Polaris. But the UA automatic system switched me to a 777-200 Dorm without PE, and offered me $120 to sit in E+. I took over and moved myself to another 787-9 to stay in PE and waiting for J.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Feb 4, 2023, 7:54 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist
Return of sundaes/dessert cart.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/34984232-post194.html
Old Feb 15, 2023, 6:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Anyone know if the Business/Prem Plus meals always offer a veg option, and if so, recent experience on specific options (either eastbound or westbound)? Trying to decide whether I should just order a special. On a widebody, so no pre order options (though not sure why that should make a difference).
lunchtime likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 6:44 pm

Programs: Continental
Last Saturday, EWR-LAX. Butternut squash ravioli.
emcampbe likes this.
Old Feb 15, 2023, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by hockey7711
Last Saturday, EWR-LAX. Butternut squash ravioli.
Good grief. They're still offering the same tired options on this route? Don't tell me the other choice was some type of chicken?
Old Feb 15, 2023, 10:11 pm

Programs: Continental
Yep. Thai coconut chicken I believe.
Old Feb 17, 2023, 11:32 am

is the soft product on a 789 the same as longhaul Polaris in terms of meals, drinks, bedding?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.