Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights - Questions and Experiences

Hide Wikipost
Old Jul 6, 19, 1:29 pm   -   Wikipost
Please read: This is a community-maintained wiki post containing the most important information from this thread. You may edit the Wiki once you have been on FT for 90 days and have made 90 posts.

Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Wiki Link
Update 2017: United p.s. is now called Transcontinental Service. This service is available on flights between EWR<>LAX, EWR<>SFO, and BOS<>SFO.
Cross Country Comfort: Introducing United Airlines’ New Transcontinental Service

Originally Posted by United POLARIS FAQ
How does the switch to United Polaris affect United p.s.® Premium Service transcontinental flights?
On December 1, 2016, BusinessFirst service on p.s. transcontinental routes became United Business®, and now features our custom Saks Fifth Avenue pillow and duvet. Previous p.s. features did not change other than the new bedding.
The first PS flights to/from EWR started 25 Oct 2015
United offers transcontinental travelers the features and comfort of long-haul international flights. Customers enjoy modern aircraft interiors with all-new seats, inflight Wi-Fi, free personal on-demand entertainment at every seat, in-seat power and USB ports.

United also provides:
* Premier Access check-in, security screening, boarding and baggage handling;
* United Club access;
* up to 6 feet, 4 inches of sleeping space in a 180-degree flat-bed seat; and
* pre-departure beverages, hot towel service, multi-course meals and a pre-arrival snack.
E+ passengers -- hot meals and drinks included
Travelers in Economy Plus on our premium transcontinental flights now enjoy more than just extra legroom — they’ll also receive a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as their choice of free alcoholic beverages, including our featured cocktail and more.
Aircraft 757-200
Original config 28 lieflat BF / 42 E+ / 72 E-
Everything You Want to Know About Where to Sit on a 757-200 (pmUA Domestic and p.s.)

Re-purposed TATL config 16 lieflat BF / 45 E+ / 108 E-
Consolidated "Seats on International 757"

other lie-flat aircraft will be used on the route, such as
Everything You Wanted to Know About Where to Sit on 777-200 HD (28BF,102E+,234E-)
Everything you want to know about where to sit on the 787-10

FAQs
Are all flights on these routes lie-flat, etc?
Yes -- all non-stop flights from SFO/LAX to/from EWR and SFO<>BOS are configured as such regardless of aircraft used. All scheduled aircraft have a lie-flat premium cabin.

Are these CPU-eligible flights?
No -- no CPU on these flights. It will take RPU/GPU/mileage+copays to upgrade. Generally, these are "hard" upgrades.

Are TODs / Cash upgrades offered?
Yes, $298 cash OW upgrades are regularly offered.

Archive: Premium Transcon Service SFO-EWR/BOS, LAX-EWR flights-Questions&Experiences {Archive}
Print Wikipost

Old Aug 2, 17, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Flew on 2006 (EWR-SFO) last night 8/1/17 and no amenity kits were provided. I did enjoy the chicken and ice cream as well as the Saks bedding though. RPU cleared while I was standing in line for group 1 and the door was closed with 2 empty seats. Not sure why the next ones on the list didn't get upgraded.
Old Aug 2, 17, 1:38 pm

Programs: Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott/SPG/Hilton Gold, PreCheck + Clear
Originally Posted by RockinRon View Post
Flew on 2006 (EWR-SFO) last night 8/1/17 and no amenity kits were provided.
FYI, on some flights recently I've noticed the amenity kit was left on the small shelf over my shoulder, next to the power port, prior to boarding. It's just a cheap fabric pouch lately, so if you're not expecting it to be there and the FA doesn't mention it, it's easy to miss.

Mostly useless, but I still like it for the Cowshed lip balm.
Old Aug 2, 17, 8:55 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Originally Posted by nottarockstar View Post
response from Twitter says all drinks are free: Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Were you provided a meal? Can you let us know if you were also charged on your outbound flight? If you were on a Premium Transcontinental flight you should not have been charged for drinks in Economy Plus. Please submit our refunds request form and select the food purchase refund option:
Update on "are drinks free or not"-gate: United Refunds did refund my money but said I didn't qualify for one.. so they aren't free in E+ on PS?

"Thank you for contacting United Refunds.

We would like to advise you of the following:

The situation you described does not qualify for an exception. However, in the interest of good customer relations, we've decided to provide you with a refund as a one-time exception."
Old Aug 2, 17, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nottarockstar View Post
Update on "are drinks free or not"-gate: United Refunds did refund my money but said I didn't qualify for one.. so they aren't free in E+ on PS?...
They are not. UA's recent move was only to provide a meal gratis to passengers seated in E+. Nothing was ever said about free alcohol. GS and 1K customers in coach continue to get a free alcoholic beverage.
Old Aug 2, 17, 10:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
They are not. UA's recent move was only to provide a meal gratis to passengers seated in E+. Nothing was ever said about free alcohol. GS and 1K customers in coach continue to get a free alcoholic beverage.
"Economy Plus travelers now enjoy a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as complimentary alcoholic beverages."

Premium Services.
Old Aug 2, 17, 10:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH View Post
Then why does the press release in post 925 specifically mention free drinks in economy plus?
Old Aug 2, 17, 10:52 pm

Programs: United Premier Platinum; Delta Platinum Medallion
Why is there so much confusion with the phrase "complimentary alcoholic beverages" as it relates to E+ seats on ps flights? Those 3 words seem pretty clear to me. Yet flight attendants and some flyertalk folks don't see it.

Having to sheepishly ask an attendant for the free alcohol (and being harshly rejected) kind of defeats the purpose of providing the benefit in the first place. It's like the job that comes with lots of vacation time but never provides the permission to use it. What's the point of the perk?
Old Aug 2, 17, 11:49 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by Kacee View Post
"Economy Plus travelers now enjoy a complimentary hot entrée, fruit and dessert, as well as complimentary alcoholic beverages."

Premium Services.
Originally Posted by nycityny View Post
Why is there so much confusion with the phrase "complimentary alcoholic beverages" as it relates to E+ seats on ps flights? Those 3 words seem pretty clear to me. Yet flight attendants and some flyertalk folks don't see it.

Having to sheepishly ask an attendant for the free alcohol (and being harshly rejected) kind of defeats the purpose of providing the benefit in the first place. It's like the job that comes with lots of vacation time but never provides the permission to use it. What's the point of the perk?
Page clip from the Premium Services. Page below as well as really poor photos of the gate screen at EWR last week.

David
Attached Images    
Old Aug 3, 17, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

My bad. Didn't see that.
Old Aug 3, 17, 10:14 am

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by RandomBaritone View Post
FYI, on some flights recently I've noticed the amenity kit was left on the small shelf over my shoulder, next to the power port, prior to boarding. It's just a cheap fabric pouch lately, so if you're not expecting it to be there and the FA doesn't mention it, it's easy to miss.

Mostly useless, but I still like it for the Cowshed lip balm.
Oh shoot. I may have missed it as I tossed the blanket on the shelf as I was sitting down. Guess next time I'll look more closely - I was expecting a tin or bag like I have seen on international flights.
Old Aug 4, 17, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Does anyone have experience with upgrades on the 777-300ER PS flights? These are the only flights I have never seen PN/R/I open in advance, while I occasionally see space pop up on all other aircraft flying the PS routes.

Have a flight next week where it's still 30/60 booked...
Mostly curious if they ever sweep for upgrades in advance of if they're all battlefield upgrades due to R never opening...
Old Aug 4, 17, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Gold, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton View Post
Does anyone have experience with upgrades on the 777-300ER PS flights? These are the only flights I have never seen PN/R/I open in advance, while I occasionally see space pop up on all other aircraft flying the PS routes.

Mostly curious if they ever sweep for upgrades in advance of if they're all battlefield upgrades due to R never opening...
some this week went out with empty seats up front. Monday/Friday ... not so much ... mid week ... great for upgrades
Old Aug 4, 17, 7:16 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G; Marriott Bonvoy Gold; ALL Gold; Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton View Post

When you can upgrade for <$300 to J, it is very attractive (especially on 77W, where the Y-J disparity is greater). I have flown SFO-EWR on the p.s. route with the new equipment, and the upgrades cleared (according to UA IT, of course ) is quite low. My experience has solely been on the Sunday noontime flight, though.
Old Aug 4, 17, 8:48 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA EXP; AS 75K; WN A List; UA 1K 1MM; Marriott Ambassador; Hilton Diamond (Aspire); Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
I have flown SFO-EWR on the p.s. route with the new equipment, and the upgrades cleared (according to UA IT, of course ) is quite low.
It's hard to know how many cleared, b/c only gate upgrades show on the list for CPU ineligible flights. Any upgrades that cleared prior to that are not displayed.

That said, agreed that ps flights are in general a difficult upgrade these days.
Old Aug 5, 17, 11:06 am

Programs: UA 1K, UA 1MM, Hilton Lifetime Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold, CLEAR, AS MVP Gold
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 View Post
When you can upgrade for <$300 to J, it is very attractive (especially on 77W, where the Y-J disparity is greater). I have flown SFO-EWR on the p.s. route with the new equipment, and the upgrades cleared (according to UA IT, of course ) is quite low. My experience has solely been on the Sunday noontime flight, though.
I have flown SFO-EWR and SFO-BOS (now PS) probably combined 6 times in the last 12 months and have only had one RPU clear and it was on the Sunday AM BOS-SFO run. Contrary to what I have seen others state there didn't seem to many biz travelers on that Sunday AM flight. Just my data point of one.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: