Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Announces new Auckland and Tel Aviv service from San Francisco

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we are announcing two additional routes out of San Francisco International Airport (SFO), in addition to our previously announced Xi’an, China service. Pending government approval, we plan to operate service between San Francisco-Tel Aviv (TLV) and San Francisco-Auckland (AKL) on our Dreamliner aircraft beginning in 2016.

Check out additional details, including launch dates, in our press release.

-UA Insider

http://newsroom.united.com/2015-10-0...Make-it-Better
United Airlines Made SFO the Best Pacific Hub. And Then Found 3 Ways to Make it Better.

Airline to launch one new Atlantic and two new Pacific services

October 08, 2015

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 8, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines, the U.S. airline with the most comprehensive route network and the most trans-Pacific service, will further expand its global reach with new nonstop service from San Francisco to:

Tel Aviv, Israel, with service three times each week beginning March 30, 2016;
Auckland, New Zealand, with service three times each week beginning July 1, 2016, expanding to daily service in October; and
Xi'an, China, previously announced, three-times-weekly service beginning May 8, 2016, for the summer season.

Each new service is subject to government approval.

The airline intends to operate the new flights with the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, the world's most advanced passenger airplane.

The Tel Aviv and Xi'an flights will be available for booking on united.com on October 10, 2015, with the Auckland flights available for booking on October 17, 2015.

San Francisco-Tel Aviv: Linking High-Tech Markets

As part of United's evaluation for serving San Francisco (SFO) to Tel Aviv (TLV) nonstop, the airline considered the opinions of thousands of customers who petitioned for the service through the SFOTLV.ORG petition effort.

"Providing corporate customers from throughout the Bay Area and Silicon Valley nonstop service to the high-tech market in Israel has been high on our priority list at United," said Dave Hilfman, United's senior vice president of worldwide sales. "Now with the 787-9 Dreamliner, we're delighted to make it a reality."

Flight | From To | Departure | Arrival

UA954 | SFO TLV | 8 p.m. We/Fr/Su | 8:10 p.m. the next day

UA955 | TLV SFO | 12:55 a.m. Tu/Fr/Su | 6 a.m. the same day

Flight times will be 14 hours, 10 minutes eastbound and 15 hours, 5 minutes westbound.

United has served Israel since 1999. The airline currently offers twice-daily Boeing 777 nonstop flights between Tel Aviv and New York/Newark.

San Francisco-Auckland

United's three-times weekly service to Auckland (AKL), New Zealand's largest city and main transportation hub to other points throughout the country, will launch July 1, 2016, with 787-8 aircraft. The schedule will expand to daily flights operating with 787-9 aircraft on Oct. 28, 2016, in time for the peak-winter travel season.

The Auckland flights will operate in partnership with United's Star Alliance partner Air New Zealand.

Flight | From To | Departure | Arrival

UA917 | SFO AKL | 10:45 p.m. | 6:55 a.m. two days later

UA916 | AKL SFO | 1:20 p.m. | 6:40 a.m. the same day

Flight times will be 13 hours, 10 minutes westbound and 12 hours, 20 minutes eastbound.

United in San Francisco

From its San Francisco hub, United operates nearly 280 daily flights to more than 90 destinations in North America, Latin America, Europe and Asia/Pacific.
Print Wikipost

UA Announces new Auckland and Tel Aviv service from San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Nov 14, 2015, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sharmaintl
I am an executive in a Fortune 20 company. No one, including SVP/GMs are permitted to travel in J. Economy for us all. Only the very top execs travel by corporate jet. I usually get upgraded using GPUs, but have slugged it on 12+ flights in economy more than once when the GPU did not clear. It is my pet peeve with the company. Given the current economic conditions, I do not see that policy changing anytime soon.
This is certainly a YMMV situation. I have a friend who works for a US Pharma company that allows its employees to travel in J on long haul intl flights and she is more that a few notches down the org chart. I have another friend who works for a large US consulting company whose policy allows for Sr Managers and above to travel in J on INTL. On domestic flights he is only allowed to buy Y.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 12:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by joshwex90
  1. As discussed, Jewish population isn't close to the only factor
  2. Even if it was, what does dual citizenship have anything to do with that? It's not only dual British/American citizens who visit London (for example)
  3. LAX is a UA hub
LHR provides a lot of connecting traffic, though, unlike TLV.
(Go off any flight early in the morning at T5 and tell me how many people head to flight connections rather than border control? At TLV, I would suspect almost all PAX head for border control.)
Old Nov 14, 2015, 12:38 pm

Programs: United mileage Plus 1k and Million Miler, Krisflyer, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Virgin
Originally Posted by dgdevil
Not to mention (likely) complete lack of mileage credit for UA fliers on NZ metal + potential issues with baggage fees on domestic connections down there.
this is a huge problem, as well as miles credits. Made worse now with UA connecting with Qantas/Jetstar as much or more than ANZ. It's a lottery whether your 2nd bag is free or not. And even when fare classes are listed as crediting on UA web page, 80% of time they don't.

The relationship between UA and ANZ was horrible before the new added flights between US and NZ.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 2:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
LHR provides a lot of connecting traffic, though, unlike TLV.
(Go off any flight early in the morning at T5 and tell me how many people head to flight connections rather than border control? At TLV, I would suspect almost all PAX head for border control.)
You're right that LHR is a large connecting hub and you're right that TLV is mostly O&D.

But I wasn't referring to any passenger using LHR at all. I was pointing out that just like it's not just British ex-pats flying to/from LHR, it's not only Jews flying to/from Israel. And LHR was just a random example with hundreds (thousands?) others like it around the globe
Old Mar 30, 2016, 3:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As scheduled
From Silicon Valley to Silicon Wadi - Nonstop on United Airlines Beginning Today

United is the first U.S. airline to serve Israel from the West Coast
New three-times-weekly service, launching with Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner, will strengthen business, tourism and cultural relationships with Israel

SAN FRANCISCO, March 30, 2016 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines will inaugurate its newest intercontinental nonstop service with great fanfare this evening, linking San Francisco and Tel Aviv with the first-ever nonstop flights between the two cities.

United flight 954 will depart San Francisco International Airport at 8 p.m. and arrive in Tel Aviv tomorrow at 8:10 p.m. Flight time to Tel Aviv aboard United's most advanced aircraft, the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner, will be 14 hours 10 minutes. United will operate service to Tel Aviv from San Francisco three times weekly on Wednesdays, Fridays and Sundays.

On the return, United flight 955 will depart Tel Aviv at 12:55 a.m. on Tuesdays, Fridays and Sundays, arriving in San Francisco at 6 a.m. the same day (all times local). Flight times will be 15 hours five minutes.

The service will operate for several weeks in June and July with Boeing 777 aircraft.

"Our new service between San Francisco and Tel Aviv is a direct response to customer demand," said Dave Hilfman, United's senior vice president of Worldwide Sales. "Our customers told us they wanted convenient, direct flights between these two markets. We took their needs to heart, considered thousands of customers who petitioned for the service and identified an opportunity to serve a significant customer base of high-tech-related business traveling between the Bay Area and Silicon Valley and Tel Aviv."
San Francisco is a key center for Israeli business travel and one of the most popular U.S. leisure destinations for Israelis. From its San Francisco hub, United operates nearly 280 daily flights to more than 90 destinations in North America, Latin America, Europe and the Asia/Pacific region.

"We congratulate United for its new route between San Francisco and Israel," said Anat Ben Yosef, Consul, Israel Ministry of Tourism. "Not only will United's service be extremely convenient for tourists traveling to Israel from northern California and the Pacific Northwest -- but it will also be a boon for the vast numbers of travelers in the high-tech industry who virtually commute between the Silicon Valleys of California and Israel. Last year was a record year for tourism from the United States to Israel, and we expect this year to be even better."
Old Mar 30, 2016, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

most advanced aircraft, the Boeing 787-9 Dreamliner
Unfortunately my first thought when reading this was "Hope the flight doesn't CX for MX".
Old Mar 30, 2016, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Anyone here happen to be going on the inaugural flight?
Old Mar 30, 2016, 6:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Anyone know why they are already subbing 772s in June/July?

-RM
Old Apr 7, 2016, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA.AV
When does UA service to New Zealand commence?

I heard it was imminent. With American also heading downunder, there could be serious over-capacity, especially during the SH Winter.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 8:36 pm

Programs: UA MP HH LTD
Looks like by Aug 1.

Last edited by goalie; Apr 7, 2016 at 8:51 pm Reason: Clean up after merge
Old Jul 16, 2016, 3:06 am

Looks like AKL is getting Global First:

San Francisco – Auckland Planned service increase from 3 weekly to 1 daily unchanged, however from 30OCT16 service operates with 3-class 777-200ER. Planned 787-9 operation postponed until 28FEB17
Old Jul 16, 2016, 4:40 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by belfordrocks

San Francisco – Auckland Planned service increase from 3 weekly to 1 daily unchanged, however from 30OCT16 service operates with 3-class 777-200ER. Planned 787-9 operation postponed until 28FEB17
Interesting substitution..aircraft availability? issues with the dispatch reliability of the UA 87 fleet?
Old Jul 16, 2016, 5:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

Peak season deserves the best hard product option UA has to offer. Will SFO Polaris room be up and running by Dec? Polaris + GF is pretty good
Old Jul 16, 2016, 8:34 am

Programs: 1 thousand

Woohoo. Acceptable Y seats down to AKL!

Judging by the high pricing for at least December and January it's clear there's a lot of demand.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by televisor
Woohoo. Acceptable Y seats down to AKL!
But a terrible BF product. If I had booked BF on the 789, I'd be pissed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.