Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Announces new Auckland and Tel Aviv service from San Francisco

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we are announcing two additional routes out of San Francisco International Airport (SFO), in addition to our previously announced Xi’an, China service. Pending government approval, we plan to operate service between San Francisco-Tel Aviv (TLV) and San Francisco-Auckland (AKL) on our Dreamliner aircraft beginning in 2016.

Check out additional details, including launch dates, in our press release.

-UA Insider

http://newsroom.united.com/2015-10-0...Make-it-Better
United Airlines Made SFO the Best Pacific Hub. And Then Found 3 Ways to Make it Better.

Airline to launch one new Atlantic and two new Pacific services

October 08, 2015

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 8, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines, the U.S. airline with the most comprehensive route network and the most trans-Pacific service, will further expand its global reach with new nonstop service from San Francisco to:

Tel Aviv, Israel, with service three times each week beginning March 30, 2016;
Auckland, New Zealand, with service three times each week beginning July 1, 2016, expanding to daily service in October; and
Xi'an, China, previously announced, three-times-weekly service beginning May 8, 2016, for the summer season.

Each new service is subject to government approval.

The airline intends to operate the new flights with the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, the world's most advanced passenger airplane.

The Tel Aviv and Xi'an flights will be available for booking on united.com on October 10, 2015, with the Auckland flights available for booking on October 17, 2015.

San Francisco-Tel Aviv: Linking High-Tech Markets

As part of United's evaluation for serving San Francisco (SFO) to Tel Aviv (TLV) nonstop, the airline considered the opinions of thousands of customers who petitioned for the service through the SFOTLV.ORG petition effort.

"Providing corporate customers from throughout the Bay Area and Silicon Valley nonstop service to the high-tech market in Israel has been high on our priority list at United," said Dave Hilfman, United's senior vice president of worldwide sales. "Now with the 787-9 Dreamliner, we're delighted to make it a reality."

Flight | From To | Departure | Arrival

UA954 | SFO TLV | 8 p.m. We/Fr/Su | 8:10 p.m. the next day

UA955 | TLV SFO | 12:55 a.m. Tu/Fr/Su | 6 a.m. the same day

Flight times will be 14 hours, 10 minutes eastbound and 15 hours, 5 minutes westbound.

United has served Israel since 1999. The airline currently offers twice-daily Boeing 777 nonstop flights between Tel Aviv and New York/Newark.

San Francisco-Auckland

United's three-times weekly service to Auckland (AKL), New Zealand's largest city and main transportation hub to other points throughout the country, will launch July 1, 2016, with 787-8 aircraft. The schedule will expand to daily flights operating with 787-9 aircraft on Oct. 28, 2016, in time for the peak-winter travel season.

The Auckland flights will operate in partnership with United's Star Alliance partner Air New Zealand.

Flight | From To | Departure | Arrival

UA917 | SFO AKL | 10:45 p.m. | 6:55 a.m. two days later

UA916 | AKL SFO | 1:20 p.m. | 6:40 a.m. the same day

Flight times will be 13 hours, 10 minutes westbound and 12 hours, 20 minutes eastbound.

United in San Francisco

From its San Francisco hub, United operates nearly 280 daily flights to more than 90 destinations in North America, Latin America, Europe and Asia/Pacific.
Print Wikipost

UA Announces new Auckland and Tel Aviv service from San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by sfo3388
I work for a biopharma company in bay area. Today my company sent an email to all admin people who book flights about the new SFO-TLV service. This is major!

And United is offering status match to all my company employees.

It is not just high tech in Isarel.
Didn't know there was such a biotech scene in SF. That was, AFAIK, one of the reasons behind CO initially adding a second daily flight. It's one of the big drivers of LX's twice daily A330 flights TLV-ZRH

Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
I'm pretty puzzled as to why SFO-TLV is not flown from ORD or IAD instead. Seems like a waste
Because IAD would serve as almost exclusively connections which can anyways be accomplished through EWR.

As for ORD, there would certainly be a lot of traffic there. LY tried it and failed, though that may have had less to do with the numbers and more to do with the timing. That being said, if ORD or SFO pax will anyways need to connect, probably easier to make ORD pax connect in EWR which is a shorter flight and get SFO pax on a direct flight, not to mention the likelihood of higher paying J pax from SFO

Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
Not sure if there are lots of people going to TLV from the west coast to begin with. TLV is a dicey market. For US airlines, it seems only NYC area really works. DL canned it from ATL and AA dropped it from PHL.

ORD seems like a logical add after EWR. From SFO, good luck to them. They'll need it.
US used PHL for connections only on the TLV route. Very little O&D TLV-PHL on US. AA dropping it makes sense to concentrate on other markets.

MIA worked very well for LY and that was dropped for issues related to LY and the economy, and had little to do with the market (which was strong), even though it isn't NYC.

LY has already announced intentions to return to both MIA and ORD once they get their 787s delivered

Originally Posted by mahasamatman
I my experience, that's only for upper management. At least that was the case at my last company (a very large multi-national tech company based in the Bay Area). Engineers flew Coach no matter how long the flight.
Not just upper management, and not just large companies. I get flown in J to EWR/JFK as a lower level employee in a smaller company
Old Oct 9, 2015, 2:13 am

Programs: UA 1k, AA EXPLT, NZ GE, VA PLT Hyatt Diam, Marr Plat, HH Diam
NZ does offer seats towards the front of their 777 Y cabins available only to their elites (and *G) pax that offer a few extra inches of legroom. The 3-4-3 config actually isn't all that bad -- the NZ Y seats are, IMHO, the most comfortable Y seat in the skies today.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 3:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by bioyuki
In general, most tech companies have a policy of longhaul in J, but not F.
I know lots of people working for companies where it's Premium Economy for 6+ hours or overnight, with only board level getting Business.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by bioyuki
In general, most tech companies have a policy of longhaul in J, but not F.
I don't believe that is an accurate blanket statement about tech companies travel policies..one insight from reading threads on Flyertalk is very large companies that I would have speculated would have J class employee benefits for crossing the Pacific in fact require them to fly econ.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:16 am

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by lhrsfo
I know lots of people working for companies where it's Premium Economy for 6+ hours or overnight, with only board level getting Business.
Count me as another who works for a name-brand SF tech firm with a Y-only policy.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:19 am

Programs: Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
The 789 is probably the perfect aircraft for SFO-AKL.

I like the new routes. Tech (and related services) will definitely drive the TLV traffic, plus SFO will now be the connection point to TLV from DEN west. LAX will likely provide a particularly large amount of feed.

And SFO-AKL will be one of the most coveted saver awards in the entire system.
Yes! Prior to this news, the chances of award business seats to AKL using United miles was close to zero.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
Originally Posted by JHake10
I grew up in NYC and now live in the bay area, and don't really see this flight working out based on the demographics. But, hey, you never know.
If you mean numbers of Jewish people, there are plenty.

Originally Posted by mduell
I wonder if AA's pullout helped the business case here.
AA pulled out of SFO?

Originally Posted by JHake10
I know there a few startups such as Waze which is based in Israel. I guess I didn't think that market was that large outside a handful of companies.
Pretty much every large tech company in the valley has some presence in Israel, usually due to an acquisition.

That said, if UA is doing this for the tech business then it should add SJC/BLR. That plane will fill every day.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 9, 2015 at 11:28 am Reason: Let's stay to the UA realted issues
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by luckypierre
I don't believe that is an accurate blanket statement about tech companies travel policies..one insight from reading threads on Flyertalk is very large companies that I would have speculated would have J class employee benefits for crossing the Pacific in fact require them to fly econ.
There are policies on both extremes. However, companies with Y-only policies are less influential in driving international route decisions. Many of the biggest tech companies allow long haul travel in J. I'm not aware of any widespread allowance of F, though a few allow C-level, though those folks don't travel as much as lower level folks.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by frankmu
Prior to this news, the chances of award business seats to AKL using United miles was close to zero.
IMO, the chances still will be. Time will tell I guess.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 9:47 am

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by joshwex90
LY tried it and failed, though that may have had less to do with the numbers and more to do with the timing.
This might be a little misleading. LY flew to ORD for many years and pulled out a few years after 9/11, just like tons of other routes around the world.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Oct 9, 2015 at 11:29 am Reason: deleted response to deleted material
Old Oct 9, 2015, 12:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by mre5765
That said, if UA is doing this for the tech business then it should add SJC/BLR. That plane will fill every day.
Air India announced SFO-BLR a few days ago.

Realistically I can't see UA ever doing any of these flights out of SJC. As much as I'd love to see it, they lose out on all of the connecting traffic that they can get through SFO. That's not to say that they couldn't be profitable with (say) SJC-TLV, but SFO-TLV is always going to be more profitable.

Yes, ANA seem to be doing OK out of SJC, but that's in addition to several SFO-NRT/HND flights across multiple airlines - not instead of them. The same is true for Hainan to PEK (they don't fly to SFO, but several other airlines do), and also for BA to LHR.

SJC-TLV would leave almost zero in-alliance connections at both ends - IAH/DEN at the SJC end, and probably only TK at the other end (and LH/etc, but with a serious backtrack)
Old Oct 9, 2015, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Originally Posted by mre5765
AA pulled out of SFO?
Due to prior legal issues in Israel, AA cancelled the pmUS PHL-TLV flight after the merger was completed.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:06 pm

no

Air India announced DEL-SFO, not BLR-SFO.
United would never expand from a non-hub.

Originally Posted by docbert
Air India announced SFO-BLR a few days ago.

Realistically I can't see UA ever doing any of these flights out of SJC. As much as I'd love to see it, they lose out on all of the connecting traffic that they can get through SFO. That's not to say that they couldn't be profitable with (say) SJC-TLV, but SFO-TLV is always going to be more profitable.

Yes, ANA seem to be doing OK out of SJC, but that's in addition to several SFO-NRT/HND flights across multiple airlines - not instead of them. The same is true for Hainan to PEK (they don't fly to SFO, but several other airlines do), and also for BA to LHR.

SJC-TLV would leave almost zero in-alliance connections at both ends - IAH/DEN at the SJC end, and probably only TK at the other end (and LH/etc, but with a serious backtrack)
Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:06 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Originally Posted by docbert

Realistically I can't see UA ever doing any of these flights out of SJC.
Exactly. UA doesn't even fly SJC-ORD. Why in the world would we expect them to start an international SJC-XXX? That would make no sense in their network. And I say that as someone who's closer to SJC than to SFO.
Old Oct 9, 2015, 1:08 pm

not really

they pulled TLV as it was unprofitable from PHL. While a pretty full flight, it was full of mostly low yield connections traveling over the PHL hub from elsewhere in the country. PHL simply doesn't have the critical mass of o/d flow to TLV that a NYC or a SFO has. It's that simple. AA's prior legal issues you mention meant that AA had to pay severance of around $16MM to former TWA employees in Israel. I may be off on the number somewhat, but whatever it was, had the route been profitable, it would not have been such a substantial number to put AA off from serving the route.
Originally Posted by txflyer77
Due to prior legal issues in Israel, AA cancelled the pmUS PHL-TLV flight after the merger was completed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.