Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Announces new Auckland and Tel Aviv service from San Francisco

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we are announcing two additional routes out of San Francisco International Airport (SFO), in addition to our previously announced Xi’an, China service. Pending government approval, we plan to operate service between San Francisco-Tel Aviv (TLV) and San Francisco-Auckland (AKL) on our Dreamliner aircraft beginning in 2016.

Check out additional details, including launch dates, in our press release.

-UA Insider

http://newsroom.united.com/2015-10-0...Make-it-Better
United Airlines Made SFO the Best Pacific Hub. And Then Found 3 Ways to Make it Better.

Airline to launch one new Atlantic and two new Pacific services

October 08, 2015

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 8, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines, the U.S. airline with the most comprehensive route network and the most trans-Pacific service, will further expand its global reach with new nonstop service from San Francisco to:

Tel Aviv, Israel, with service three times each week beginning March 30, 2016;
Auckland, New Zealand, with service three times each week beginning July 1, 2016, expanding to daily service in October; and
Xi'an, China, previously announced, three-times-weekly service beginning May 8, 2016, for the summer season.

Each new service is subject to government approval.

The airline intends to operate the new flights with the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, the world's most advanced passenger airplane.

The Tel Aviv and Xi'an flights will be available for booking on united.com on October 10, 2015, with the Auckland flights available for booking on October 17, 2015.

San Francisco-Tel Aviv: Linking High-Tech Markets

As part of United's evaluation for serving San Francisco (SFO) to Tel Aviv (TLV) nonstop, the airline considered the opinions of thousands of customers who petitioned for the service through the SFOTLV.ORG petition effort.

"Providing corporate customers from throughout the Bay Area and Silicon Valley nonstop service to the high-tech market in Israel has been high on our priority list at United," said Dave Hilfman, United's senior vice president of worldwide sales. "Now with the 787-9 Dreamliner, we're delighted to make it a reality."

Flight | From To | Departure | Arrival

UA954 | SFO TLV | 8 p.m. We/Fr/Su | 8:10 p.m. the next day

UA955 | TLV SFO | 12:55 a.m. Tu/Fr/Su | 6 a.m. the same day

Flight times will be 14 hours, 10 minutes eastbound and 15 hours, 5 minutes westbound.

United has served Israel since 1999. The airline currently offers twice-daily Boeing 777 nonstop flights between Tel Aviv and New York/Newark.

San Francisco-Auckland

United's three-times weekly service to Auckland (AKL), New Zealand's largest city and main transportation hub to other points throughout the country, will launch July 1, 2016, with 787-8 aircraft. The schedule will expand to daily flights operating with 787-9 aircraft on Oct. 28, 2016, in time for the peak-winter travel season.

The Auckland flights will operate in partnership with United's Star Alliance partner Air New Zealand.

Flight | From To | Departure | Arrival

UA917 | SFO AKL | 10:45 p.m. | 6:55 a.m. two days later

UA916 | AKL SFO | 1:20 p.m. | 6:40 a.m. the same day

Flight times will be 13 hours, 10 minutes westbound and 12 hours, 20 minutes eastbound.

United in San Francisco

From its San Francisco hub, United operates nearly 280 daily flights to more than 90 destinations in North America, Latin America, Europe and Asia/Pacific.
Print Wikipost

UA Announces new Auckland and Tel Aviv service from San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:06 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
But a terrible BF product. If I had booked BF on the 789, I'd be pissed.
Totally agree. "Should" be able to cancel and get full refund. Not even remotely the same product.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:16 am

Speaking of upguages EWR-DUB will be upguaged to a 764 & 3-cabin 777 for the winter flying season.

10-29-16 - 12-18-16; 2-16-17 - 2-27-16 764
12-19-16 - 2-15-17; 2-28-17 - 3-8-17 777

This the first time the sub UA FAs will work flights to/from DUB.

Last edited by JOSECONLSCREW28; Jul 16, 2016 at 1:57 pm
Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:18 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond
If I had booked BF on the 789, I'd be pissed.
Me too. Should be a re-imagined 1-2-1 type product in such a new aircraft. Instead it is the old drab dismal display.

If you GPU to J in a 777 take a side pair. SImilar to whatever is in the 789.

If you bought J, you might get into GF, which is a much better deal.

And yes Y is better on the 777.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:21 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by uastarflyer
I don't think 2-4-2 is similar to 2-2-2. It's two more seats across. And there's really only one good set of seats on the sUA 772 - 6 J/K. Everything else has light, view, or traffic issues.

True enough. 48 premium seats total on each aircraft.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:23 am

AKL is moving to the 3-cabin 777 because the 787-8 is moving to the second daily SFO-LHR flight. AKL goes to a 787-9 end of February.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 10:28 am

Me too. Should be a re-imagined 1-2-1 type product in such a new aircraft. Instead it is the old drab dismal display.

And yes Y is better on the 777.
But they're actually selling GF so that would only happen in the case of op-ups, since I highly doubt any of the flights currently have >40 J seats sold.

Yet SYD still sees the 787... could've put the 777 here for the Australian summer
Old Jul 16, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: AC SE
Peak season deserves the best hard product option UA has to offer. Will SFO Polaris room be up and running by Dec? Polaris + GF is pretty good
Unfortunately the current BF product on the 772 is probably the worst hard product. I don't believe the 772 refits will be done by then, as I think the new Polaris hard product will only be starting on the new 77W's in December.

But a terrible BF product. If I had booked BF on the 789, I'd be pissed.
I don't think 2-4-2 is similar to 2-2-2. It's two more seats across. And there's really only one good set of seats on the sUA 772 - 6 J/K. Everything else has light, view, or traffic issues.
Agreed, unfortunately I'd booked on the 789 and it's now switched to a 772. We're now booked in rear-facing seats, and 38/40 seats are selected, so we don't have any options to move. Very annoying.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium Elite
At least the chance of cancelations go down. I'll take a 777 anyday over the 787.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 3:30 pm

What I asked is if Polaris is ready on the ground. GF seat is probably as good if not better than the forthcoming Polaris seat.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 3:37 pm

What I asked is if Polaris is ready on the ground. GF seat is probably as good if not better than the forthcoming Polaris seat. As Kacee pointed out the overall premium seat count is at least on par.
Regarding the lounge, the info UA has in their FAQ's says that the first Polaris lounge is ORD in December, 2016, with the rest to be announced over the next few years so it doesn't sound like SFO will have a Polaris lounge when the AKL flights switch to the 772.

Yes, GF is good for the few that may be able to get a GF seat, but outside of the lucky few who may be able to upgrade to GF, this is a major downgrade. For anyone who was booked in BF, this isn't good. Old 772 8-across product, no Polaris lounge at SFO until sometime later on.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 3:37 pm

Originally Posted by gcashin
Agreed, unfortunately I'd booked on the 789 and it's now switched to a 772. We're now booked in rear-facing seats, and 38/40 seats are selected, so we don't have any options to move. Very annoying.
SFO AKL right now operates on 788 not 789. With only 36 15yr old design C seats.

The 772 has 48 premium seats, 8 as GF. Whether a 788, 789, 772, or even 744, the left and right sides of BF are pairs and thus require a climb. The only options for competitive premium seating are on UAUA widebody aircraft.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 3:38 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
What I asked is if Polaris is ready on the ground. GF seat is probably as good if not better than the forthcoming Polaris seat.
It won't be at SFO. Not for quite some time. So on SFO-AKL, Polaris will mean soft product only . . . bedding, pj's, etc.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by gcashin
Regarding the lounge, the info UA has in their FAQ's says that the first Polaris lounge is ORD in December, 2016, with the rest to be announced over the next few years so it doesn't sound like SFO will have a Polaris lounge when the AKL flights switch to the 772.

Yes, GF is good for the few that may be able to get a GF seat, but outside of the lucky few who may be able to upgrade to GF, this is a major downgrade. For anyone who was booked in BF, this isn't good. Old 772 8-across product, no Polaris lounge at SFO until sometime later on.
That is unfortunate about the lounge

The UAUA BF is newer design and install than the CO 772. The Dreamliner is newer of course, but with the same older CO design. Smisek should have been designing in Polaris for those instead of focusing on breaking cashews.

Calling going from a 36 seat CO BF to a 40 seat UA BF + 8 GF a "major downgrade" is hyperbole.

And dont forget the good news of having a wider seat for over 200 passengers as a result of the switch.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 3:52 pm

SFO AKL right now operates on 788 not 789. With only 36 15yr old design C seats.

The 772 has 48 premium seats, 8 as GF. Whether a 788, 789, 772, or even 744, the left and right sides of BF are pairs and thus require a climb. The only options for competitive premium seating are on UAUA widebody aircraft.
That is unfortunate about the lounge

The UAUA BF is newer design and install than the CO 772. The Dreamliner is newer of course, but with the same older CO design. Smisek should have been designing in Polaris for those instead of focusing on breaking cashews.

Calling going from a 36 seat CO BF to a 40 seat UA BF + 8 GF a "major downgrade" is hyperbole.
The SFO-AKL route started with a 788 but was scheduled to be on a 48 seat 789 over the winter, which is when the 772 is operating. So for December, for example, this is a switch from a 789 to a 772.

For a customer that booked a flight for December on a 789 and has now been switched to a rear-facing BF seat on the 772 with no forward-facing seat options, it's a downgrade.
Old Jul 16, 2016, 3:55 pm

Some of us prefer rear facing, but OMMV.

Jose said the 788 was going to SFO-LHR so I guess I don't know how they were planning to swap in the 789 before switching it back to a 772.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.