Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Announces new Auckland and Tel Aviv service from San Francisco

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we are announcing two additional routes out of San Francisco International Airport (SFO), in addition to our previously announced Xi’an, China service. Pending government approval, we plan to operate service between San Francisco-Tel Aviv (TLV) and San Francisco-Auckland (AKL) on our Dreamliner aircraft beginning in 2016.

Check out additional details, including launch dates, in our press release.

-UA Insider

http://newsroom.united.com/2015-10-0...Make-it-Better
United Airlines Made SFO the Best Pacific Hub. And Then Found 3 Ways to Make it Better.

Airline to launch one new Atlantic and two new Pacific services

October 08, 2015

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 8, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines, the U.S. airline with the most comprehensive route network and the most trans-Pacific service, will further expand its global reach with new nonstop service from San Francisco to:

Tel Aviv, Israel, with service three times each week beginning March 30, 2016;
Auckland, New Zealand, with service three times each week beginning July 1, 2016, expanding to daily service in October; and
Xi'an, China, previously announced, three-times-weekly service beginning May 8, 2016, for the summer season.

Each new service is subject to government approval.

The airline intends to operate the new flights with the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, the world's most advanced passenger airplane.

The Tel Aviv and Xi'an flights will be available for booking on united.com on October 10, 2015, with the Auckland flights available for booking on October 17, 2015.

San Francisco-Tel Aviv: Linking High-Tech Markets

As part of United's evaluation for serving San Francisco (SFO) to Tel Aviv (TLV) nonstop, the airline considered the opinions of thousands of customers who petitioned for the service through the SFOTLV.ORG petition effort.

"Providing corporate customers from throughout the Bay Area and Silicon Valley nonstop service to the high-tech market in Israel has been high on our priority list at United," said Dave Hilfman, United's senior vice president of worldwide sales. "Now with the 787-9 Dreamliner, we're delighted to make it a reality."

Flight | From To | Departure | Arrival

UA954 | SFO TLV | 8 p.m. We/Fr/Su | 8:10 p.m. the next day

UA955 | TLV SFO | 12:55 a.m. Tu/Fr/Su | 6 a.m. the same day

Flight times will be 14 hours, 10 minutes eastbound and 15 hours, 5 minutes westbound.

United has served Israel since 1999. The airline currently offers twice-daily Boeing 777 nonstop flights between Tel Aviv and New York/Newark.

San Francisco-Auckland

United's three-times weekly service to Auckland (AKL), New Zealand's largest city and main transportation hub to other points throughout the country, will launch July 1, 2016, with 787-8 aircraft. The schedule will expand to daily flights operating with 787-9 aircraft on Oct. 28, 2016, in time for the peak-winter travel season.

The Auckland flights will operate in partnership with United's Star Alliance partner Air New Zealand.

Flight | From To | Departure | Arrival

UA917 | SFO AKL | 10:45 p.m. | 6:55 a.m. two days later

UA916 | AKL SFO | 1:20 p.m. | 6:40 a.m. the same day

Flight times will be 13 hours, 10 minutes westbound and 12 hours, 20 minutes eastbound.

United in San Francisco

From its San Francisco hub, United operates nearly 280 daily flights to more than 90 destinations in North America, Latin America, Europe and Asia/Pacific.
Print Wikipost

UA Announces new Auckland and Tel Aviv service from San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:12 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by btbx11
This is a curious comment to me. Are you doubting that there are large companies that send their employees overseas in business (and first) class? I consult with a 250,000+ employee Bay Area co-based company with world-wide reach. Standard travel policy provides for J class for all employees when travelling internationally. Most SVP/GVP+ have first class provisions custom written into their employment contracts.
The only such company I know that is large and co-located (with IAH) is CVX, which actually employs more like 70K people. They do allow their staff on flights over 4-5 hours (not sure what the current figure is) to take J, but that is unusual, and is a perk for people who are often going on trips that can take them 24 or more hours to a remote site.

I'm not saying that no one does it, but a lot of the high tech companies don't as a matter of course allow J travel at this point.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:18 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
This is a curious comment to me. Are you doubting that there are large companies that send their employees overseas in business (and first) class? I consult with a 250,000+ employee Bay Area co-based company with world-wide reach. Standard travel policy provides for J class for all employees when travelling internationally. Most SVP/GVP+ have first class provisions custom written into their employment contracts.
Yes, I definitely doubt that. Especially if the population is mostly FF (1k qual) like ours. and forget VP and above. They get J. I'm talking about the guys who are in the air every 2 weeks and outnumber the VP's by a 10:1 ratio
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
I don't doubt that some tech firms have this policy but it's definitely not an across-the-board policy for major Bay Area tech firms.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:45 pm

Programs: I want to be free! Free!

Honestly that does seem odd to me, but there aren't that many firms of the size of which you speak. I would keep in mind that financial firms (VC/PE) and consulting firms (on client money) are likely to frequent this route too. I just don't think a 787 is a crazy amount of J to fill relative to the sources of traffic coming out of SF; certainly not so if you throw in tech/financial traffic from SEA/LAX which (I think) are likely to make the connection in SF versus transiting NYC or Europe. Could be wrong though - I don't how how the long/think thesis is really playing out with customer demand.
Old Oct 15, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Million Miler, BA
Originally Posted by Kacee
The 787s are going to be focused at SFO and LAX. SFO's going to have a whole bunch of 787 flights apart from TLV, including HND, TPE, SYD, and ICN (in addition to KIX, which is already a 787).
Sorry if am late to this thread, but after the repositioning of 787s to the west coast next year, which Dreamliner routes will still exist at IAH?
Old Oct 15, 2015, 5:00 pm

I know who you're talking about and I'm not sure why there are some many doubters. There are plenty of large companies that allow all employees to travel in J on international flights of a certain length, and plenty that don't.

Think of it this way: the J cabins would be much, much smaller if people weren't buying the seats.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 6:12 am
gby

Great move UA.

As someone that is just the market segment for this flight (I have an upcoming flight on UA TLV->EWR->SFO already, sadly prior to start of service of this new route) I welcome this very much.

I know a few people that avoid taking UA due to connection inside the US and prefer Lufthansa or Turkish due to making the connection in EU.

Hopefully there is enough of traffic to both make UA a good extra buck AND lower the pax load on TLV->EWR just little bit :-)

Great move UA.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 7:30 am

I doubt that most shareholders of public companies would look kindly on an across-the-board J Class international travel policy.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 10:46 am

Programs: UA Gold + 1MM; HHonors Gold; Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by JetAway
I doubt that most shareholders of public companies would look kindly on an across-the-board J Class international travel policy.
I am an executive in a Fortune 20 company. No one, including SVP/GMs are permitted to travel in J. Economy for us all. Only the very top execs travel by corporate jet. I usually get upgraded using GPUs, but have slugged it on 12+ flights in economy more than once when the GPU did not clear. It is my pet peeve with the company. Given the current economic conditions, I do not see that policy changing anytime soon.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 9:09 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
Originally Posted by JetAway
The economic value of having a highly productive employee at maximum productivity immediately upon arrival is worth FAR more than the differential between the cost of coach and business on a 12 hour flight. As a shareholder of many large companies, I want to get maximum productivity from their employees to maximize my return. I am not interested in reducing costs if it reduces my return by more than the supposed savings. (Of course, I am also not going to fly an admin 6,000 miles to hand out name badges at a meeting, so I am assuming that employees traveling internationally are delivering significant value to the enterprise.)
Old Oct 18, 2015, 9:26 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by Air Houston
The economic value of having a highly productive employee at maximum productivity immediately upon arrival is worth FAR more than the differential between the cost of coach and business on a 12 hour flight. As a shareholder of many large companies, I want to get maximum productivity from their employees to maximize my return. I am not interested in reducing costs if it reduces my return by more than the supposed savings. (Of course, I am also not going to fly an admin 6,000 miles to hand out name badges at a meeting, so I am assuming that employees traveling internationally are delivering significant value to the enterprise.)
Is this still so clearly the case given employees can now work remotely from basically anywhere? Does the price of a J ticket really improve your productivity that much more than the cheaper option of arriving one day ahead flying E+ and working from a hotel where you can get a night of sleep in a real bed before that important meeting?

Add on topic: why Auckland, already served by NZ, and why not - say - BNE?
Old Oct 18, 2015, 10:42 pm

Programs: 1MM, UA 1k
Originally Posted by sharmaintl
I am an executive in a Fortune 20 company. No one, including SVP/GMs are permitted to travel in J. Economy for us all. Only the very top execs travel by corporate jet. I usually get upgraded using GPUs, but have slugged it on 12+ flights in economy more than once when the GPU did not clear. It is my pet peeve with the company. Given the current economic conditions, I do not see that policy changing anytime soon.
Thank you.
Old Oct 18, 2015, 11:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fly18725
I know who you're talking about and I'm not sure why there are some many doubters.
I sat next to an employee of said company on the UD SFO-HKG last year.

Considering the corporate discounts that companies like this can pull, not sure why anyone would be so shocked at a J travel policy for international long-haul.

And back to personal experience, I've seen plenty of corporate travel policies that allow outside counsel to fly J on international long-haul.
Old Oct 19, 2015, 7:55 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by stopdiabetes
Sorry if am late to this thread, but after the repositioning of 787s to the west coast next year, which Dreamliner routes will still exist at IAH?
For May 2016 GRU, LHR and LOS are still on the schedule, plus DEN to feed the NRT hop. All on 788s.
Old Nov 14, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: United mileage Plus 1k and Million Miler, Krisflyer, Air New Zealand, Qantas, Virgin
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
AKL nice!
Yes, and AA announced regular flights akl to lax too, and air nz akl to houston, so plenty of competition for first time ever.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.