Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Announces new Auckland and Tel Aviv service from San Francisco

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we are announcing two additional routes out of San Francisco International Airport (SFO), in addition to our previously announced Xi’an, China service. Pending government approval, we plan to operate service between San Francisco-Tel Aviv (TLV) and San Francisco-Auckland (AKL) on our Dreamliner aircraft beginning in 2016.

Check out additional details, including launch dates, in our press release.

-UA Insider

http://newsroom.united.com/2015-10-0...Make-it-Better
United Airlines Made SFO the Best Pacific Hub. And Then Found 3 Ways to Make it Better.

Airline to launch one new Atlantic and two new Pacific services

October 08, 2015

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 8, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines, the U.S. airline with the most comprehensive route network and the most trans-Pacific service, will further expand its global reach with new nonstop service from San Francisco to:

Tel Aviv, Israel, with service three times each week beginning March 30, 2016;
Auckland, New Zealand, with service three times each week beginning July 1, 2016, expanding to daily service in October; and
Xi'an, China, previously announced, three-times-weekly service beginning May 8, 2016, for the summer season.

Each new service is subject to government approval.

The airline intends to operate the new flights with the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, the world's most advanced passenger airplane.

The Tel Aviv and Xi'an flights will be available for booking on united.com on October 10, 2015, with the Auckland flights available for booking on October 17, 2015.

San Francisco-Tel Aviv: Linking High-Tech Markets

As part of United's evaluation for serving San Francisco (SFO) to Tel Aviv (TLV) nonstop, the airline considered the opinions of thousands of customers who petitioned for the service through the SFOTLV.ORG petition effort.

"Providing corporate customers from throughout the Bay Area and Silicon Valley nonstop service to the high-tech market in Israel has been high on our priority list at United," said Dave Hilfman, United's senior vice president of worldwide sales. "Now with the 787-9 Dreamliner, we're delighted to make it a reality."

Flight | From To | Departure | Arrival

UA954 | SFO TLV | 8 p.m. We/Fr/Su | 8:10 p.m. the next day

UA955 | TLV SFO | 12:55 a.m. Tu/Fr/Su | 6 a.m. the same day

Flight times will be 14 hours, 10 minutes eastbound and 15 hours, 5 minutes westbound.

United has served Israel since 1999. The airline currently offers twice-daily Boeing 777 nonstop flights between Tel Aviv and New York/Newark.

San Francisco-Auckland

United's three-times weekly service to Auckland (AKL), New Zealand's largest city and main transportation hub to other points throughout the country, will launch July 1, 2016, with 787-8 aircraft. The schedule will expand to daily flights operating with 787-9 aircraft on Oct. 28, 2016, in time for the peak-winter travel season.

The Auckland flights will operate in partnership with United's Star Alliance partner Air New Zealand.

Flight | From To | Departure | Arrival

UA917 | SFO AKL | 10:45 p.m. | 6:55 a.m. two days later

UA916 | AKL SFO | 1:20 p.m. | 6:40 a.m. the same day

Flight times will be 13 hours, 10 minutes westbound and 12 hours, 20 minutes eastbound.

United in San Francisco

From its San Francisco hub, United operates nearly 280 daily flights to more than 90 destinations in North America, Latin America, Europe and Asia/Pacific.
Print Wikipost

UA Announces new Auckland and Tel Aviv service from San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 5:33 pm

Programs: United Plat
Originally Posted by jasondc
....but a BIG portion of the travelers who actually will be on those flights, paying the business or first class fares, etc, actually live closer to SFO, or at least equally as close to SFO. I know that when I come home from a biz trip I want to be able to get home as quickly as possible. It's that simple.
I work for a biopharma company in bay area. Today my company sent an email to all admin people who book flights about the new SFO-TLV service. This is major!

And United is offering status match to all my company employees.

It is not just high tech in Isarel.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by kevinsac
I'm still depressed UA has abandoned GF to Oz and NZ
If pmUA had 2 class plane that had enough range to fly to AKL, UA 841 LAX-AKL probably would still exist.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive

It is too bad to see a 2 class 787 to AkL. I loved flying the 3 class 747 to there in the past on united in the 1990s. The service then was amazing in F and was very spacious. The 787 feels cramped even in J. They really need to make the 787 more premium and improve the service on the 787. I much prefer the crews I get on the 747s over the 787s.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
Originally Posted by TA
This is interesting to me --

What is the benefit of flying two very similarly timed flights, aside from the capacity increase? If it's already a JV, why not put one single larger aircraft on?

If it were possible to space the departures during the day, it could take advantage of different passenger routings. But I think due to the flight duration, necessity of feeder flights, and reasonable origin/arrival times (and curfew?) it can only depart at night.
One single larger aircraft like what ? You do know that neither UA or NZ has A380 right ?

UA and NH have many TPAC flights timed together, for one thing that is basically force the competitors to have a lesser market share to even drop out the market entirely, e.g. ORD-NRT: UA 1x 744 NH 2x 77W, which force AA downgrade from 3 class 772 to 2 class 788.

For one thing though, each of the carriers frequent flyers will not crossover to fly the partner's plane no matter they have a JV or not, UA flyers will not fly NZ in Y because of lack of E+ and 3-4-3 in the 77W, NZ flyers will not fly UA because of the substandard meals and service, if you don't believe it you can ask how many people on here had switched to fly NH TPAC instead since the JV quite a few years ago ? Whenever NH brought it up in the UA forum here, many people only relate their NH experience years ago about their cramp Y seating ! How many people on here know NH fly their 2-4-3 config 77W with 34" legroom in Y ?

Last edited by ORDnHKG; Oct 8, 2015 at 6:52 pm
Old Oct 8, 2015, 6:53 pm

Location: MSP, WLG, or the forward most A seat in Y I can get
Programs: UA Plat (and all the derivatives on cars and hotels that implies)
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
One single larger aircraft like what ? You do know that neither UA or NZ has A380 right ?

UA and NH have many TPAC flights timed together, for one thing that is basically force the competitors to have a lesser market share to even drop out the market entirely, e.g. ORD-NRT: UA 1x 744 NH 2x 77W, which force AA downgrade from 3 class 772 to 2 class 788.
The timings are somewhat different, given the constraints of aircraft utilization on this route. In the southern winter NZ 7 leaves at 9, in the southern summer closer to 7:30. It gets you into Auckland at 5:30 scheduled, but often earlier. NZ's aim is to flow you through onto the flights to Australia, where their 1 stops to SYD/MEL/BNE are competing against UA, QF, VA and DL nonstops; and their 1 stops to ADL, Gold Coast etc are competitive vs transiting Sydney.

Similarly the NZ options back to America are all about filling connections from Australia, and from around New Zealand.

UA's timings will be better for connections from the east coast, and their 1:20 departure ex-AKL and 6:40 arrival into SFO will be better for connections to Midwest/east coast. Though horrible for sleeping on
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:30 pm

Programs: QF, VN, SQ, SPG, IHG PG
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
So on the SFO-AKL route, it looks like the plane will sit in Auckland all day?

Will be fun seeing UA get gate allocations in Auckland, they seem to have picked AM peak for arrival and PM peak for departure.
They could probably send it to MEL like the good old days

That way UA will be able to offer MEL pax, non-stop LAX service and a 1-stop same plane service to SFO. Though that's what NZ already kinda does!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 7:45 pm

Programs: United 1.9MM
Originally Posted by ORDnHKG
For one thing though, each of the carriers frequent flyers will not crossover to fly the partner's plane no matter they have a JV or not, UA flyers will not fly NZ in Y because of lack of E+ and 3-4-3 in the 77W, NZ flyers will not fly UA because of the substandard meals and service, if you don't believe it you can ask how many people on here had switched to fly NH TPAC instead since the JV quite a few years ago ? Whenever NH brought it up in the UA forum here, many people only relate their NH experience years ago about their cramp Y seating ! How many people on here know NH fly their 2-4-3 config 77W with 34" legroom in Y ?
Not to mention (likely) complete lack of mileage credit for UA fliers on NZ metal + potential issues with baggage fees on domestic connections down there.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
I'm pretty puzzled as to why SFO-TLV is not flown from ORD or IAD instead. Seems like a waste
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by REPUBLIC757
I'm pretty puzzled as to why SFO-TLV is not flown from ORD or IAD instead. Seems like a waste
United already fly 1 or 2 EWR-TLV flights a day. Likely they noticed that a lot of people on these flights were connecting from SFO or elsewhere on the coast.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by docbert
United already fly 1 or 2 EWR-TLV flights a day. Likely they noticed that a lot of people on these flights were connecting from SFO or elsewhere on the coast.
Not sure if there are lots of people going to TLV from the west coast to begin with. TLV is a dicey market. For US airlines, it seems only NYC area really works. DL canned it from ATL and AA dropped it from PHL.

ORD seems like a logical add after EWR. From SFO, good luck to them. They'll need it.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:30 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
Wow. Another reason to avoid UA, too many awful B789 Seats flight!
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
There has been a lot of internal debate at UA for years about whether to launch 789 service to TLV from ORD, SFO, or to add a 3rd daily from EWR, SFO-TLV's premium cabin tech traffic was the winner,
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/75073
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/25684
Old Oct 8, 2015, 8:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Because United (and not FT's many armchair quarterbacks) have the numbers that show that's where the money is (though apparently only enough for three days a week).

Too bad the times suck on the TLV-SFO segment.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:01 pm

Programs: UA/*A Gold, Global Entry, Marriott Plat, Hilton+IHG Gold, Hertz PC, DL
in an alternate universe where UA was committed to GF and put an IPTE 772 on the new routes, would the first class cabin be lucrative for SFO-AKL (or, probably more likely, TLV)?

my knowledge of tech sector travel policies is scant.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by riphamilton
in an alternate universe where UA was committed to GF and put an IPTE 772 on the new routes, would the first class cabin be lucrative for SFO-AKL (or, probably more likely, TLV)?
The 789 is probably the perfect aircraft for SFO-AKL.

I like the new routes. Tech (and related services) will definitely drive the TLV traffic, plus SFO will now be the connection point to TLV from DEN west. LAX will likely provide a particularly large amount of feed.

And SFO-AKL will be one of the most coveted saver awards in the entire system.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.