Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Announces new Auckland and Tel Aviv service from San Francisco

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we are announcing two additional routes out of San Francisco International Airport (SFO), in addition to our previously announced Xi’an, China service. Pending government approval, we plan to operate service between San Francisco-Tel Aviv (TLV) and San Francisco-Auckland (AKL) on our Dreamliner aircraft beginning in 2016.

Check out additional details, including launch dates, in our press release.

-UA Insider

http://newsroom.united.com/2015-10-0...Make-it-Better
United Airlines Made SFO the Best Pacific Hub. And Then Found 3 Ways to Make it Better.

Airline to launch one new Atlantic and two new Pacific services

October 08, 2015

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 8, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines, the U.S. airline with the most comprehensive route network and the most trans-Pacific service, will further expand its global reach with new nonstop service from San Francisco to:

Tel Aviv, Israel, with service three times each week beginning March 30, 2016;
Auckland, New Zealand, with service three times each week beginning July 1, 2016, expanding to daily service in October; and
Xi'an, China, previously announced, three-times-weekly service beginning May 8, 2016, for the summer season.

Each new service is subject to government approval.

The airline intends to operate the new flights with the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, the world's most advanced passenger airplane.

The Tel Aviv and Xi'an flights will be available for booking on united.com on October 10, 2015, with the Auckland flights available for booking on October 17, 2015.

San Francisco-Tel Aviv: Linking High-Tech Markets

As part of United's evaluation for serving San Francisco (SFO) to Tel Aviv (TLV) nonstop, the airline considered the opinions of thousands of customers who petitioned for the service through the SFOTLV.ORG petition effort.

"Providing corporate customers from throughout the Bay Area and Silicon Valley nonstop service to the high-tech market in Israel has been high on our priority list at United," said Dave Hilfman, United's senior vice president of worldwide sales. "Now with the 787-9 Dreamliner, we're delighted to make it a reality."

Flight | From To | Departure | Arrival

UA954 | SFO TLV | 8 p.m. We/Fr/Su | 8:10 p.m. the next day

UA955 | TLV SFO | 12:55 a.m. Tu/Fr/Su | 6 a.m. the same day

Flight times will be 14 hours, 10 minutes eastbound and 15 hours, 5 minutes westbound.

United has served Israel since 1999. The airline currently offers twice-daily Boeing 777 nonstop flights between Tel Aviv and New York/Newark.

San Francisco-Auckland

United's three-times weekly service to Auckland (AKL), New Zealand's largest city and main transportation hub to other points throughout the country, will launch July 1, 2016, with 787-8 aircraft. The schedule will expand to daily flights operating with 787-9 aircraft on Oct. 28, 2016, in time for the peak-winter travel season.

The Auckland flights will operate in partnership with United's Star Alliance partner Air New Zealand.

Flight | From To | Departure | Arrival

UA917 | SFO AKL | 10:45 p.m. | 6:55 a.m. two days later

UA916 | AKL SFO | 1:20 p.m. | 6:40 a.m. the same day

Flight times will be 13 hours, 10 minutes westbound and 12 hours, 20 minutes eastbound.

United in San Francisco

From its San Francisco hub, United operates nearly 280 daily flights to more than 90 destinations in North America, Latin America, Europe and Asia/Pacific.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:57 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Really happy to see new service from SFO.

For my company, SFO-TLV will be a great add. We've got a significant development center there, as TLV is becoming a hot spot for cloud/mobile development and this new route will keep a number of people off of SFO-FRA/SFO-EWR/SFO-MUC where the primary connections are made today. I also think the timing makes a lot of sense on both ends; 20:00 departure works well with feed from all over the west -- SEA, PDX, LAX, LAS, PHX, RNO, HNL, maybe even DEN.

I'm a *bit* surprised at the AKL add -- just because ANZ already services the route - but no complaints, as E+ on UA >>>> NZ Y.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA, LY, BA, AA
Originally Posted by N830MH
Whoa! That not a good time. I think they can leave from SFO at 2pm instead of 8pm. It will be too late for that.
Departing at 2pm means not much option upon landing. 20:00 departure and 20:00 +1 arrival allows for a full day of work in SFO and then allows for arriving in TLV and heading straight to sleep to get over jetlag

Originally Posted by JAaronT
Won't it sit for over a day in TLV too?
4:45
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:20 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
Originally Posted by televisor
NZ do offer Premium Economy, but that's a completely different price range, so not really comparable.
As far as my company travel policy is concerned, as long as the word economy is in the description, we're allowed to book it, so it's comparable in that regard.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:35 pm

Programs: United 1.9MM
A lot of contradictory phrasing in the NZ media article.

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/business/new...ectid=11526074

United is returning to New Zealand with flights between Auckland and San Francisco as it deepens its partnership with Air New Zealand.

From next July, United will use Dreamliners to fly as often as daily across the Pacific in a deal between the Star Alliance partners that will boost capacity on the route and open the way for cheaper fares.

The deal could also deter American Airlines - from the rival Oneworld alliance and a potential threat to Air New Zealand - from entering the transpacific market.

Air New Zealand chief executive Christopher Luxon said his airline would work with United to promote each other's services on the San Francisco route. The airlines have anti-trust immunity to work closely with each other.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 1:40 pm

Programs: UA 1K/1.5 million miler, SU Gold, JL Sapphire
Originally Posted by dgdevil
A lot of contradictory phrasing in the NZ media article.

http://m.nzherald.co.nz/business/new...ectid=11526074

United is returning to New Zealand with flights between Auckland and San Francisco as it deepens its partnership with Air New Zealand.

From next July, United will use Dreamliners to fly as often as daily across the Pacific in a deal between the Star Alliance partners that will boost capacity on the route and open the way for cheaper fares.

The deal could also deter American Airlines - from the rival Oneworld alliance and a potential threat to Air New Zealand - from entering the transpacific market.

Air New Zealand chief executive Christopher Luxon said his airline would work with United to promote each other's services on the San Francisco route. The airlines have anti-trust immunity to work closely with each other.
Indeed.

No rivals == you can charge whatever you want, as long as the plane gets fairly full.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:03 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
I am sure that the term "cheaper fares" got tossed in there at the level of a casual business travel reporter, and with no further insight into the matter.

I highly doubt that UA enters with the thought, "Let's help this market achieve lower fares!"
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Sydneyair
Even ignoring the small ones, I believe AAPL FB GOOG all have a major presence in TLV. Those 3 employers have lots of employees and flushed with cash, easily supporting such a flight. This isn't about tiny startups like Waze. I think MSFT may have too but not too sure.

Now that Aer Lingus is being bought by IAG and may likely no longer partner with UA, and UA eager to satisfy the demands of their tech clients, it wouldn't surprise me if UA launches SFO-DUB next.
Intel has a sizeable presence in Silicon valley and TLV as well. But if the route is focused on all these tech companies, I wish they would do flights out of SJC. I know it's not UA's hub, but I'm still surprised a legacy hasn't been able to make SJC work as a hub. there is so much silicon valley cash, and for companies like aapl, csco or intc, SJC is 10 mins away versus an hour for SFO.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:12 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
If this flight could stand alone by itself at SJC, disconnected from the SFO hub, then some startup airline or private equity company should've been all over it with 2 planes...

I don't think there is such a flush traveler market that it can stand alone from SJC.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
Originally Posted by fly18725
While some route announcements can be made quickly, there are number of signs that point to this being in work for quite a while. In addition, the CEO is rarely part of the decision making process for a new route.
I didn't imply the decision was made by Munoz directly. You do have to agree that starting to create a culture of "yes" as opposed to a culture of "no" will go a long ways to making decisions like this happen. I know for a fact this has been talked about for a decade within CO sales and res teams, there was not enough wide-body capacity to implement with CO, when UA came in there were a lot of people that though it would be a done deal, only to be told, the focus was on cutting costs not expansion. Of course the CEO doesn't make every decision, but he can sure create an atmosphere where ideas flourish rather than flounder.

But, I will be far more cautious to make positive comments about United in the future, as this being one of the first in a long while, and of course, it must be picked apart. You really can't say anything here about United at times without getting a negative response, even something positive.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
Intel has a sizeable presence in Silicon valley and TLV as well. But if the route is focused on all these tech companies, I wish they would do flights out of SJC. I know it's not UA's hub, but I'm still surprised a legacy hasn't been able to make SJC work as a hub. there is so much silicon valley cash, and for companies like aapl, csco or intc, SJC is 10 mins away versus an hour for SFO.
You know there's also a lot of tech in downtown SF, and some spread throughout the Peninsular (San Mateo County), like Oracle or Facebook.

Those will be very poorly served by a SJC flight.

Actually for Apple (Cupertino CA), it's only about 35 mins to SFO (one can easily avoid traffic by taking I-280 instead of US-101)

If SJC access is all that crucial, they can always fly BA SJC-LHR-TLV.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:31 pm

Programs: NZ , QF , MK
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
So on the SFO-AKL route, it looks like the plane will sit in Auckland all day?

Will be fun seeing UA get gate allocations in Auckland, they seem to have picked AM peak for arrival and PM peak for departure.
I thought the departure ex AKL is at 13:20? That's what the press release says

http://newsroom.united.com/2015-10-0...Make-it-Better

So the aircraft won't be at AKL all day.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold, IHG Gold, Marriott Gold
On the surface, yes, but given that they're likely to apply for JV eventually and wanting to avoid upsetting each other, they may continue engaging on duopoly pricing on this route.

I would expect marginal fare relief at best.
If they want to fill the seats, marginal relief wont do, they have to be aggressive in pricing especially in the offseason. It is likely than NZ might cut their SFO service down to daily, once UA goes to daily.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by hyho61
If they want to fill the seats, marginal relief wont do, they have to be aggressive in pricing especially in the offseason. It is likely than NZ might cut their SFO service down to daily, once UA goes to daily.
They've already factored that in - 3x weekly 788 at launch but up to daily 789 at southern summer. That's less than 50% of capacity during off-peak.

I anticipate only short-term fare relief as UA builds awareness for the route. But unless AA announces LAX-AKL, I expect 2017 pricing to be at the same levels of what NZ commands today again.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA G
let me summarize that article for the TLDR crowd :

UA 954 SFO 2000 - TLV 2010+1 357
UA 955 TLV 0055 - SFO 0600 257

Bookable starting Saturday 10/10
Are they opening immigration early for this flight? IIRC, CBP at SFO doesn't open until 7:30.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 2:59 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K 1MM (finally!), IHG AMB-Spire, HH Diamond

Oscar's first change is a change I like!

I assume the NZ and UA flight departures from SFO are fairly close to one another? I recall seeing the NZ "all blacks" jet certain evenings at SFO

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.