Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

UA Announces new Auckland and Tel Aviv service from San Francisco

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 8, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: UA Insider
Hi everyone,

Today we are announcing two additional routes out of San Francisco International Airport (SFO), in addition to our previously announced Xi’an, China service. Pending government approval, we plan to operate service between San Francisco-Tel Aviv (TLV) and San Francisco-Auckland (AKL) on our Dreamliner aircraft beginning in 2016.

Check out additional details, including launch dates, in our press release.

-UA Insider

http://newsroom.united.com/2015-10-0...Make-it-Better
United Airlines Made SFO the Best Pacific Hub. And Then Found 3 Ways to Make it Better.

Airline to launch one new Atlantic and two new Pacific services

October 08, 2015

SAN FRANCISCO, Oct. 8, 2015 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines, the U.S. airline with the most comprehensive route network and the most trans-Pacific service, will further expand its global reach with new nonstop service from San Francisco to:

Tel Aviv, Israel, with service three times each week beginning March 30, 2016;
Auckland, New Zealand, with service three times each week beginning July 1, 2016, expanding to daily service in October; and
Xi'an, China, previously announced, three-times-weekly service beginning May 8, 2016, for the summer season.

Each new service is subject to government approval.

The airline intends to operate the new flights with the Boeing 787 Dreamliner, the world's most advanced passenger airplane.

The Tel Aviv and Xi'an flights will be available for booking on united.com on October 10, 2015, with the Auckland flights available for booking on October 17, 2015.

San Francisco-Tel Aviv: Linking High-Tech Markets

As part of United's evaluation for serving San Francisco (SFO) to Tel Aviv (TLV) nonstop, the airline considered the opinions of thousands of customers who petitioned for the service through the SFOTLV.ORG petition effort.

"Providing corporate customers from throughout the Bay Area and Silicon Valley nonstop service to the high-tech market in Israel has been high on our priority list at United," said Dave Hilfman, United's senior vice president of worldwide sales. "Now with the 787-9 Dreamliner, we're delighted to make it a reality."

Flight | From To | Departure | Arrival

UA954 | SFO TLV | 8 p.m. We/Fr/Su | 8:10 p.m. the next day

UA955 | TLV SFO | 12:55 a.m. Tu/Fr/Su | 6 a.m. the same day

Flight times will be 14 hours, 10 minutes eastbound and 15 hours, 5 minutes westbound.

United has served Israel since 1999. The airline currently offers twice-daily Boeing 777 nonstop flights between Tel Aviv and New York/Newark.

San Francisco-Auckland

United's three-times weekly service to Auckland (AKL), New Zealand's largest city and main transportation hub to other points throughout the country, will launch July 1, 2016, with 787-8 aircraft. The schedule will expand to daily flights operating with 787-9 aircraft on Oct. 28, 2016, in time for the peak-winter travel season.

The Auckland flights will operate in partnership with United's Star Alliance partner Air New Zealand.

Flight | From To | Departure | Arrival

UA917 | SFO AKL | 10:45 p.m. | 6:55 a.m. two days later

UA916 | AKL SFO | 1:20 p.m. | 6:40 a.m. the same day

Flight times will be 13 hours, 10 minutes westbound and 12 hours, 20 minutes eastbound.

United in San Francisco

From its San Francisco hub, United operates nearly 280 daily flights to more than 90 destinations in North America, Latin America, Europe and Asia/Pacific.
Print Wikipost

UA Announces new Auckland and Tel Aviv service from San Francisco

Search this Thread

Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by hamburglar
fyi i don't see any award availability
Oct 10 becomes bookable
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:23 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Originally Posted by sfo3388
With flight number 916 and 917, United is the operating carrier.
Negatron. UA is slowly moving away from the traditional flight numbering scheme that allows easy identification of the subsidiary.

As another random example, UA663 EWR-IAH on 01Apr16 is scheduled to be a pmCO 737-800, though "663" is a traditional pmUA flight number.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Sydneyair
let me summarize that article for the TLDR crowd :

UA 954 SFO 2000 - TLV 2010+1 357
UA 955 TLV 0055 - SFO 0600 257

Bookable starting Saturday 10/10
Whoa! That not a good time. I think they can leave from SFO at 2pm instead of 8pm. It will be too late for that.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:36 am

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Originally Posted by N830MH
Whoa! That not a good time. I think they can leave from SFO at 2pm instead of 8pm. It will be too late for that.
A 2pm SFO departure would mean the return flight would land SFO at midnight. (assuming the same ~3 hour turn in TLV)

That would be much worse, both for connections out of SFO and for usage of the plane (which I assume will head out to Asia sometime around noon after landing at 6am at SFO).
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:45 am

Programs: UA SP, DL SM MM, AS 75K, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond.
I see this as a good signal. Growth, rather than cutbacks to improve the financial performance of United. Perhaps the first tangible "change" in the way UA operates under Munoz. I've known internal sales and res employees have been screaming for west coast to TLV for a decade. Maybe someone is finally listening.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: 1 thousand
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
Pity these will both be operated with 787 with 9 across in the back. These are far too long flights to be crammed so tight. I won't be booking these flights unless I can secure business class at booking. I would rather do a premium economy 1 stop on a foreign carrier, even if its a couple thousand dollars more. I wish UA would consider a premium economy sub-cabin.
NZ Y (3-4-3 in a 777) is also quite horrible -- I'm not actually sure which one is worse (I've only ever flown BA's 788, no idea how the UA 788 compares). At least UA offer E+. NZ do offer Premium Economy, but that's a completely different price range, so not really comparable.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by transportbiz
I see this as a good signal. Growth, rather than cutbacks to improve the financial performance of United. Perhaps the first tangible "change" in the way UA operates under Munoz. I've known internal sales and res employees have been screaming for west coast to TLV for a decade. Maybe someone is finally listening.
While some route announcements can be made quickly, there are number of signs that point to this being in work for quite a while. In addition, the CEO is rarely part of the decision making process for a new route.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: NZ Koru
So on the SFO-AKL route, it looks like the plane will sit in Auckland all day?

Will be fun seeing UA get gate allocations in Auckland, they seem to have picked AM peak for arrival and PM peak for departure.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by cavemanzk
So on the SFO-AKL route, it looks like the plane will sit in Auckland all day?

Will be fun seeing UA get gate allocations in Auckland, they seem to have picked AM peak for arrival and PM peak for departure.
Won't it sit for over a day in TLV too?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:24 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
Good news.

I wonder though, is the southern winter the best time to launch SFO-AKL? But I guess, if it does well in the winter, it can only do better when summer rolls around.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by JAaronT
I think just 4:45. It's done on purpose so they can land back in SFO at 6am instead of some ungodly 4am slot.

6am is great because it allows a full day of work and is earlier than pretty much all the TPAC arrivals, ensuring very smooth FIS.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:26 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by TA
Good news.

I wonder though, is the southern winter the best time to launch SFO-AKL? But I guess, if it does well in the winter, it can only do better when summer rolls around.
They've already pre-planned the upgauge - 3x weekly 788 at launch, daily 789 for southern summer.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA Gold (.85 MM), HH Diamond, SPG Platinum (LT Gold), Hertz PC, National EE
Originally Posted by JAaronT
Maybe I'm missing something, but based on the flight times, in both cases the aircraft will be on the ground for about 4.5 hrs.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:48 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Sydneyair
I think just 4:45. It's done on purpose so they can land back in SFO at 6am instead of some ungodly 4am slot.

6am is great because it allows a full day of work and is earlier than pretty much all the TPAC arrivals, ensuring very smooth FIS.
Oh, der. 12:55am is Friday morning, not Saturday.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by transportprof
Did you mean Boeing?

I flew an Airbus into TLV and it really wasn't that bad.
No boing like the sound of a spring...that's sprung.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.