Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Waiver Posted for SHARES Outage on July 8, 2015 - UA Has Resumed Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PV_Premier
UA.com waiver information:

Airports:
All cities

Original travel dates:
July 8, 2015

Flight changes:
The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new flights departing between July 8, 2015 and July 10, 2015, as long as travel is rescheduled in the same cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
For wholly rescheduled travel departing after July 10, 2015, or for a change in departure or destination city, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply. Rescheduled travel must be completed within one year from the date when the ticket was issued.
Print Wikipost

Waiver Posted for SHARES Outage on July 8, 2015 - UA Has Resumed Operations

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by seenitall
Don't get excited. This assuaging statement from the pilot is practically meaningless. While burning more fuel makes it possible for you to go faster than standard cruise, it is only by a small percentage -- probably well less than 5 minutes savings per hour of flight time. In any event, ATC flow control limits the speeds at which planes on an airway can fly -- so unless your plane can get up to 43,000 feet or greater to get an open airway, or unless every plane on your airway also wants to burn a$$, you won't be arriving appreciably sooner.
Agreed.. Load up for fuel is either due to strong headwinds or anticipated delays on arrival (due to weather or abundance of landing flights). The illusion you will make up time in the air is a joke as unless you have strong wind currents or quick take-off = a plane's maximum speed is a plane's maximum speed.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by seenitall
Don't get excited. This assuaging statement from the pilot is practically meaningless. While burning more fuel makes it possible for you to go faster than standard cruise, it is only by a small percentage -- probably well less than 5 minutes savings per hour of flight time. In any event, ATC flow control limits the speeds at which planes on an airway can fly -- so unless your plane can get up to 43,000 feet or greater to get an open airway, or unless every plane on your airway also wants to burn a$$, you won't be arriving appreciably sooner.
More likely it's for the just in case we need to sit and wait at the apron and burn fuel for a while...
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:27 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by kluau88
Just saw Captain Denny Flanagan here at ORD this morning and he was doing his thing by passing out coffee at B16. People were truly impressed and I saw a few people go up and get his name. He does represent what FlyerFriendly is suppose to be!
Is this the same B16 that someone (i think it was you) posted upthread that had all the agents run away so "they wouldn't have to answer any questions"?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:30 am

Programs: UA MP (1K, 1MM)
UA #1084 (SFO-SEA) taking off 90 mins late, originally 6am flight.

Last edited by SFHokie; Jul 8, 2015 at 8:58 am Reason: Added more details
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by RooseveltL
The illusion you will make up time in the air is a joke as unless you have strong wind currents or quick take-off = a plane's maximum speed is a plane's maximum speed.
1. They don't always fly at the aircraft's maximum speed. So it is indeed possible to fly faster than planned.

2. They may be able to route differently (i.e., more direct) from the original flight plan.

So it is absolutely possible to "make up time in the air."
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by UAL250
About to push back on 1537. Loaded up a lot of fuel to go as fast as possible.
I hope the pilot doesn't get in trouble for this.

Back in the CO days, this was a big no no.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:35 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond
They can't seems to figure who's on our plane and not, multiple people boarded for a slc flight, this is going to lax,

We have recieved 2 additional delays since we boarded

And now more people deplaneing

What a mess
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
The illusion you will make up time in the air is a joke as unless you have strong wind currents or quick take-off = a plane's maximum speed is a plane's maximum speed.
We don't flight plan for the airplane's max speed as that is not its most efficient speed. On the 737, for example, the flight plan might be Mach 0.76 but we can increase to as much as M0.80. It's enough to make a difference.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:38 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by bob_the_d
interesting @DENAirport is updating us and @united is not.
This

https://twitter.com/united/status/618789982468075520

is the 2nd or 3rd tweet I've seen from them re. This one announcing a waiver.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
Their entire system seems a total mess and is backlogged. @:-)

Just got this email advising me our flight Beijing to Mongolia was delayed 2 hours.

Very useful to know seeing we already arrived 3 hours back.

United flight CA955 on July 8 is delayed.

Now departs: 5:00 p.m. on July 8, Beijing, CN (PEK - Capital) Now arrives: 6:30 p.m. on July 8 at Ulaanbaatar, MN (ULN)

Please be at the gate for boarding prior to the original scheduled departure time of 3:10 p.m., as the departure time could be revised again.

Information is subject to change. For up-to-the-minute flight status information, go to united.com, use the United mobile app or check flight information screens at the airport.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:46 am
Used to be MBS PremExec

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Marriott Titanium w/Lifetime Plat, Hilton LIfetime ♢, National Exec, Amex Plat
I'm at an ORD-area hotel, presenting in 2 hours to what is supposed to be 300 people as things kick off at noon. It will be about 1/3 of that if I'm lucky. I heard the company's CEO discussing with his team that they will NOT be flying UA next year....He is livid. Apparently they were all booked on UA thanks to a negotiated meeting discount.

A (mostly) wasted trip for me here. Thanks, UA! Go SHARES!
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cblaisd
This

https://twitter.com/united/status/618789982468075520

is the 2nd or 3rd tweet I've seen from them re. This one announcing a waiver.
Although the website still says:

There are currently no exception policies in effect.

Another lesson in crisis mis-management.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:49 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
Waiver is up: Flight changes:
The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new flights departing between July 8, 2015 and July 10, 2015, as long as travel is rescheduled in the same cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
For wholly rescheduled travel departing after July 10, 2015, or for a change in departure or destination city, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply. Rescheduled travel must be completed within one year from the date when the ticket was issued.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:50 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
Although the website still says:

There are currently no exception policies in effect.
No, it says this:

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...elnotices.aspx

Code:
Network Connectivity Issue	Airports:
All cities
Original travel dates:

July 8, 2015

Flight changes:
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:50 am

Programs: AA EXP and Lifetime Gold, UA LifetMarriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Agreed.. Load up for fuel is either due to strong headwinds or anticipated delays on arrival (due to weather or abundance of landing flights). The illusion you will make up time in the air is a joke as unless you have strong wind currents or quick take-off = a plane's maximum speed is a plane's maximum speed.
Your car has a maximum speed of 140 or more, but you drive 35, 45 or maybe 80 depends on the speed limit. It is similar to fly a plane because it costs a lot of fuel to fly at maximum speed. The pilot can also choose different altitude where there is less traffic but cost more fuel.

On the transcon flight, a pilot can make up 30 minutes difference with higher fuel cost flight plan. The decision is made by pilot.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.