Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Waiver Posted for SHARES Outage on July 8, 2015 - UA Has Resumed Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PV_Premier
UA.com waiver information:

Airports:
All cities

Original travel dates:
July 8, 2015

Flight changes:
The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new flights departing between July 8, 2015 and July 10, 2015, as long as travel is rescheduled in the same cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
For wholly rescheduled travel departing after July 10, 2015, or for a change in departure or destination city, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply. Rescheduled travel must be completed within one year from the date when the ticket was issued.
Print Wikipost

Waiver Posted for SHARES Outage on July 8, 2015 - UA Has Resumed Operations

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:54 am

Outages like this aren't unique to 'SHARES'

American http://www.cnet.com/news/failure-of-...s-all-flights/

Sabre http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3710964.html

At the end of the day that doesn't matter to the customer. What matters is it happened.

Delta seems to have the only apparently reliable system though even they've had two website outages in the last two years.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by l'etoile
Waiver is up: Flight changes:
The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new flights departing between July 8, 2015 and July 10, 2015, as long as travel is rescheduled in the same cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
For wholly rescheduled travel departing after July 10, 2015, or for a change in departure or destination city, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply. Rescheduled travel must be completed within one year from the date when the ticket was issued.
1) online system still wants to charge me huge fees and change in price
2) cannot get through to any agent on phone

So waiver is not much help for me!
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:09 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by cblaisd
No, it says this:

http://www.united.com/CMS/en-US/trav...elnotices.aspx

Code:
Network Connectivity Issue	Airports:
All cities
Original travel dates:

July 8, 2015

Flight changes:
At the time I posted, there was no published exception. I copied and posted directly from the UA website, with no time lag.

I'm glad to see UA finally got their exception policy up, and that it is reasonably generous. Not sure why it took them so long.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:13 am

Originally Posted by Kacee
At the time I posted, there was no published exception. I copied and posted directly from the UA website, with no time lag.

I'm glad to see UA finally got their exception policy up, and that it is reasonably generous. Not sure why it took them so long.
They use akamai -- basically there is sometimes a delay (depending on where you are) in getting the latest content.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:14 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Some good news in this thread......

I called the 1K Desk (that's how she answered it!) and was able to get my refund for today's trip in vain done in less than 4 minutes. Now it'll take 3-5 business days to post, but at least submitting it was easy.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:20 am

Programs: MYOB
SHARES was not the issue. It will likely never be publicly acknowledged, but this is very likely a backbone network ROUTING issue. SHARES is sitting in the data center running along just fine.

I understand that users that have alternate/direct access to the host (not via the UA backbone) had SHARES access, and it is working fine. There are other systems (Flight Planning) that awere not available as well. While this is a catastrophic network routing failure.....it is not the PSS Host that is the problem.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jul 8, 2015 at 7:01 pm Reason: Discuss the issues, not the posters
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:22 am

Anyone able to do online changes to impacted flight today without being charge huge change fees? To change my flight tonight it wants over $1000 on my credit card. Just to change to a few hours later flight in same class of service.

Waiver is no good if it cannot be used.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by xzh445
SHARES was not the issue. It will likely never be publicly acknowledged, but this is very likely a backbone network ROUTING issue. SHARES is sitting in the data center running along just fine.

I understand that users that have alternate/direct access to the host (not via the UA backbone) had SHARES access, and it is working fine. There are other systems (Flight Planning) that awere not available as well. While this is a catastrophic network routing failure.....it is not the PSS Host that is the problem.
Being a network engineer, I'd love to see root cause of the outage though I suspect we never will.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:23 am

Programs: 1K - UAL, Platinum DL, Marriott, Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by Bookexp
Your car has a maximum speed of 140 or more, but you drive 35, 45 or maybe 80 depends on the speed limit. It is similar to fly a plane because it costs a lot of fuel to fly at maximum speed. The pilot can also choose different altitude where there is less traffic but cost more fuel.

On the transcon flight, a pilot can make up 30 minutes difference with higher fuel cost flight plan. The decision is made by pilot.
Agreed - Car like a plane - sometimes the maximum velocity is not controlled by the driver but driving/road/highway conditions or ATC. As others pointed out earlier - the best a pilot can hope is get optimal routing and tailwind. In my experiences the biggest contributors to early arrivals (make up time) have been:
ideal airport conditions (taxi->takeoff in 7 minutes vs. planned 50 minutes) or ATC treatment
tailwind or minimum headwind
occasionally a pilot will request faster cruising (if conditions are ideal) but I typically see adjustments to arrival time as soon as plane is airborne

As this dialogue is slightly off thread subject - I'll drop it. Good luck to all in the struggle today.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:31 am

Programs: MYOB
Originally Posted by RockinRon
Being a network engineer, I'd love to see root cause of the outage though I suspect we never will.
I suspect you are right.

Sent a note to some of my freinds that are still there, and they say it is pointing toward a routing issue. Whether it was a component (hardware) failure, or routing (configuration) remains to be seen. And, of course, will never be acknowledged.

Last edited by xzh445; Jul 8, 2015 at 9:56 am
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Outages like this aren't unique to 'SHARES'

American http://www.cnet.com/news/failure-of-...s-all-flights/

Sabre http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3710964.html

At the end of the day that doesn't matter to the customer. What matters is it happened.

Delta seems to have the only apparently reliable system though even they've had two website outages in the last two years.

The issue is not that it happened, rather the frequency which which it happens to UA.

There are even a handful of them that have happened that were less disruptive and not picked up by news (e.g., there was one last year around the redeye bank ex-West Coast that had zero impact on the East Coast, since nobody was up).

SHARES, CO IT, whatever you want to call it, it's the post-merger United Continental IT that's the issue.

Laypeople, including many front liners at UA, use those names interchangeably.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by blueman2
1) online system still wants to charge me huge fees and change in price
2) cannot get through to any agent on phone

So waiver is not much help for me!
the twitter team might be able to help.

another option is to eat the fees for whatever the website is trying to charge you, screen shot everything incl. exception notice/waiver, then file for a refund of the change fees and fare differences.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:39 am

MODS: can we perhaps create a separate HELP thread for people being impacted and who need help quickly? I am afraid help requests (like mine ) are being missed due to the other discussions.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:40 am

Originally Posted by PV_Premier
the twitter team might be able to help.

another option is to eat the fees for whatever the website is trying to charge you, screen shot everything incl. exception notice/waiver, then file for a refund of the change fees and fare differences.
Thanks! For some reason, I never get a response on twitter. But I will try.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 1K, MR Bonvoy Bonzaiiiii, National EE
Originally Posted by Kacee
1. They don't always fly at the aircraft's maximum speed. So it is indeed possible to fly faster than planned.

2. They may be able to route differently (i.e., more direct) from the original flight plan.

So it is absolutely possible to "make up time in the air."
Yup, I made up 2 hours in the air on an NRT-EWR flight a few years back. Pilot loaded it up with extra fuel and hit the gas hard.

I could have sworn this exact thing happened a few years back - the protection circuit didn't work right and it was a hard failure.

Originally Posted by RockinRon
Same here - Network Engineer stuck in ORD now trying to get to a customer site. Flight was canceled last night and I had to delay 1 day - if this gets mucked up today I am going to have to pick another airline perhaps... sucks being hub captive at EWR though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.