Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Waiver Posted for SHARES Outage on July 8, 2015 - UA Has Resumed Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 8, 2015, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: PV_Premier
UA.com waiver information:

Airports:
All cities

Original travel dates:
July 8, 2015

Flight changes:
The change fee and any difference in fare will be waived for new flights departing between July 8, 2015 and July 10, 2015, as long as travel is rescheduled in the same cabin (any fare class) and between the same cities as originally ticketed.
For wholly rescheduled travel departing after July 10, 2015, or for a change in departure or destination city, the change fee will be waived, but a difference in fare may apply. Rescheduled travel must be completed within one year from the date when the ticket was issued.
Print Wikipost

Waiver Posted for SHARES Outage on July 8, 2015 - UA Has Resumed Operations

Search this Thread

Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by blueman2
I am afraid help requests (like mine ) are being missed due to the other discussions.
If the waiver is posted but not coded in the website, best you can do is call it in and have an agent override it (or pay it and fight it later).

There's not much anyone on FT can do to override the website if it's not functioning as you expect.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:44 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
It impresses me how bad the general impression of UA is in the wider culture. This is the top story on Gothamist, a daily news aggregator/blogin NYC:

http://gothamist.com/2015/07/08/united_we_fail.php

Hehe to this:

United merged with Continental airlines five years ago, and promised that the new giant airline (the largest based on the number of airports it flew to) would offer “great products and service for our customers, career opportunities for our people and consistent returns for our shareholders.” United ended up creating new fees and raising prices by as much as 57% on routes that it no longer had to compete with Continental on.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:50 am
was thetravelingRedhead

Programs: Delta Silver Medallion, United Silver Premier
Anyone remember something simular happening in 07' (July/August). Basically a east coast outage trickled west...

I was booke SMF-DEN-ORD, 14 at the time and a UM.

Got to the desk at SMF, missed my DEN flight. Got two options:
-Redeye via LAX, arrive at ORD 4/5am.
-6am SMF-DEN-ORD

Chose the second, and to my surprise, was bumped to First. granted it was a bunch of A319s/20s but still i was

Got to the gate at 6am (after the confiscated the scissors ORD missed-> different story). No crew for the plane. ORD nonstop departing at same time. Went to desk, awesome agent moved me to the non stop (in the exit row...). Finally got home.

I feel for everyone today, its going to be a mess.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: UAL 1KMM,Hilton Diamond
Tried to check-in online for flights tomorrow. The system is so overloaded, I can't even get in
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:52 am

Programs: PetCo Pals Rewards
I just started a new thread about airlines making up delays, with some data from 538. Here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...re-delays.html

Let's separate the discussion so we can focus on helping people and complaining about UA in this thread.

My TATL flight in 5 hours is still reporting on time departure. I'll believe that when I'm in the air.

Last edited by aza72; Jul 8, 2015 at 9:59 am
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:53 am

CNBC is now reporting that trading on the NYSE has been suspended because of major technical problems. Coincidence ? Hope so !
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by nunusguy
CNBC is now reporting that trading on the NYSE has been suspended because of major technical problems. Coincidence ? Hope so !
Saw that myself. Let's hope it is merely a coincidence...
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:55 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not sure why it took them so long.
Certainly didn't seem like a very long time to me given the complexity of the issue.

Glad it's resolving, albeit slowly. Lots of UA front-line staff going the extra miles today ^
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:55 am

Programs: UA 1P MM, AA-PP, AS, DL, HH G, SPG Gold, TA nada
Originally Posted by channa
The issue is not that it happened, rather the frequency which which it happens to UA.

There are even a handful of them that have happened that were less disruptive and not picked up by news (e.g., there was one last year around the redeye bank ex-West Coast that had zero impact on the East Coast, since nobody was up).

SHARES, CO IT, whatever you want to call it, it's the post-merger United Continental IT that's the issue.

Laypeople, including many front liners at UA, use those names interchangeably.
And I seem to remember a quote from Smisek after the first outage back after merger that such an outage would NEVER happen again. It has more than a few times if I recall.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:56 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by xzh445
I suspect you are right.

Sent a note to some of my freinds that are still there, and they say it is pointing toward a routing issue. Whether is ws a component (hardware) failure, or routing (configuration) remains to be seen. And, of course, will never be acknowledged.
This is not the first time a routing issue has taken down the network IIRC.

Oops.

SHARES, CO IT, whatever you want to call it, it's the post-merger United Continental IT that's the issue.
Indeed. There were never outages before the merger.

Laypeople, including many front liners at UA, use those names interchangeably.
But would it hurt to try to use the correct terms and help the world get a bit smarter about what's actually happening rather than feed in to the lowest common denominator?
Old Jul 8, 2015, 9:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Outages like this aren't unique to 'SHARES'

American http://www.cnet.com/news/failure-of-...s-all-flights/

Sabre http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...n_3710964.html

At the end of the day that doesn't matter to the customer. What matters is it happened.

Delta seems to have the only apparently reliable system though even they've had two website outages in the last two years.
I'd say what matters is...

--The actual incident

--The actual and perceived severity/impact

--The actual and perceived past history of similar incidents

--The contextual perception of the airline vis-a-vis other passenger-unfriendly incidents, e.g. "planned" fuel stops, stranding pax in Canada and Ireland, uptick in mechanical issues

--The actual and perceived response by the airline

I don't see how COdbaUA gets higher than a D grade in any of these areas.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nephew is on board the first flight from SFO to IAH with only a two minute delay. Family says SFO is not bad at all. Sounds like things are starting to return to normal. Fingers crossed!
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:06 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
https://twitter.com/DENAirport/statu...96144995487744

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-w...ectivity-issue
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:09 am

Originally Posted by nunusguy
And now the Wall Street Journal site is down.

Fun day to be in IT.
Old Jul 8, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
NYSE and Wall Street Journal are both down at the moment, too. Weird day. Maybe this isn't SHARES related?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.