Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dmurphynj
As a 1K who lives ~20 miles due west of EWR ...

Who flies to SFO and LAX quite a bit ...

THIS ROCKS. ROCKS ROCKS ROCKS.

Just sayin'
Why?

Will you be flying paid business each time? If so, I don't disagree.

But if you're trying to upgrade...it's not free, and it's a big mileage + copay.

So why does it rock then?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:41 pm
Formerly known as CollegeFlyer

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA PLT, Hyatt Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5*
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
the end of an era

quite a shocking fall from grace that UA has experienced at JFK, to this final resting place of crawing back to their cave in EWR with their tail between their legs

any wagers on what the fare pricing starts at for BF on this "new" route?

Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
I'm on a PS flight right now and the crew had no idea. I'm responsible for some tears and serious devastation.

Sad.
UA keeping it classy, putting it out social media before telling their employees.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I was talking about the differential between F on SFO-EWR and J on SFO-JFK. I know because I snagged several of those cheap SFO-EWR fares. IIRC, they were around $1500, while ps J was over $4K.

EWR just won't support the fares UA wants for ps,
JFK isn't supporting the $4k fares that you seem to want UA to get either now. @:-)

You are not the people taking black cars from midtown law firms to JFK. Those people are not going to take the train to EWR. They are going to fly AA/DL/B6.
They are going to fly whatever airline their corporate policy allows them to. They'll often need to justify a non-preferred carrier if it's significantly more expensive, and saying "I like JFK better than EWR" probably won't cut it. What may cut it is that "I live in Long Island/CT and my flight back from LAX lands at midnight and it's an hour closer to my home".

UA will lose traffic, and it's exactly the traffic they most want to keep.
You mean the money-losing traffic?

Last edited by goalie; Jun 16, 2015 at 4:34 pm Reason: Quote the member's name in all parts of their post even when responding to parts of their post separately
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:49 pm

Originally Posted by red grenadine
Here's the thing. Getting off the island west into NJ you have two routes: the Lincoln Tunnel and the Holland tunnel. From a midtown office tower the latter too far away to feasibly go to, so you are at the mercy of traffic in the Lincoln Tunnel. If there's some type of lane closure or something you are just SOL sitting there with no recourse hoping traffic lets up.
You forgot the GW Bridge which is perfectly viable if you live on the UES, UWS, or Hells Kitchen.

I live in Lower Manhattan and as a Manhattan resident, I can get to EWR in 20 minutes in the morning (before 8am) and 30 minutes return (after 8pm).

LGA is about the same

Getting off the island east? You have the Queensboro bridge and you have the Queens midtown tunnel. If you really need to you can hit the FDR and take the Williamsburg bridge.
Sure but all you need is a stalled vehicle on the Kosciuszko Bridge and you're toast. There's no alternative around that mess once you've crossed the lower Manhattan bridges. I can't tell you how many times I've nearly missed a flight at LGA in the morning because of something on that bridge. At least with the Holland you can choose 78 or the 1/9.

Even for downtown folk - they have the holland tunnel, or if they are adventurous, the brooklyn tunnel to the Verrazano bridge.
Nobody is ever going to take the Verrazano bridge from downtown Manhattan.

To JFK? They have the brooklyn tunnel, brooklyn bridge, manhattan bridge, and williamsburg bridge
Honestly those are not really viable options because you always end up in the same place, BQE which is a mess. The real alternative is to take Flatbush Ave through the back reaches of Brooklyn but that has many lights, and can easily take over an hour.

Rush hour traffic is awful everywhere around Manhattan, completely agreed. But goal #1 is to get off the island. After that you can race around street level getting to JFK if you need to
I disagree. The goal is to get around the bottlenecks no doubt the Holland is bad, but once through it normally sails. Alternatively, it's easy to get over the Brooklyn/Manhattan/Williamsburg bridges but they all spill onto the BQE/LIE/Van Wyke which is the corresponding bottleneck.

I think the main issue with EWR is perception. EWR has proven to be much more reliable for travel for me in Lower Manhattan than JFK. LGA is slightly better but obviously has more limited flight options.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:50 pm

UA email mess up

I'm due to fly EWR SFO on Nov 7.

Just got this email from united:

MileagePlus # XXXXX761
Today we announced changes to our p.s.® Premium Service flights, which currently operate between New York JFK and both Los Angeles and San Francisco. As of October 25, 2015, we will be moving this service from JFK to Newark Liberty International Airport.
Since you were planning to travel on our New York JFK-based p.s. service after October 25, we wanted to contact you right away to let you know about this change and what options are available to you.

This coming weekend, we will automatically rebook you onto one of our Newark-based p.s. flights. If the updated schedule or route doesn't work for you, other options are available.

Also I have no idea whose milagePlus number that is because it isn't mine.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:52 pm

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Gotham Air’s New $99 Helicopter Between Manhattan And JFK/EWR

The cost for first time users will be just $99 one way, and after that they’ll charge $199-219 depending on the departure time.

While it seems slightly unnecessary for a six minute flight, they’ll be serving hors d’oeuvres provided by Chef Thomas Keller’s Bouchon Bakery, as well as drinks on afternoon flights.

Furthermore, they’ll have an inclement weather guarantee, whereby if the helicopter can’t fly due to high winds or low cloud coverage, you’ll be driven door-to-door in a Tesla S.

Pocket change for the finance guys, eh?
Hmm.. I visited the website but it's just an advertisement, with no explanation of how to set up a flight (or crowdsource a charter, or whatever the term is). How do you actually "do it"?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA GM, QF Bronze, Sugar and Spice buy 6 cups get one free offer card holder
The headline does not make sense with the words "Premium" and "Newark" as they are like oil and water and can never mix :-)

As other posters have said this was bound to happen, as it's the next step in 'de Uniting' in the new UA/CO. JFK is symbolically 'the place to be' for airlines and its sad that United is no longer going to be there.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:54 pm

EWR V JFK from midtown.

Psychologically JFK feels closer and easier but it isn't. I think a large part of it is down to the fact that taking a yellow taxi to EWR was always such a hassle.

I'm not a real FF but in the last couple of years must of done midtown to JFK and EWR 15 times each and I've had far more horrible taxi journeys trying to get to JFK.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:55 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
You are not the people taking black cars from midtown law firms to JFK. Those people are not going to take the train to EWR. They are going to fly AA/DL/B6.
They are going to fly whatever airline their corporate policy allows them to. They'll often need to justify a non-preferred carrier if it's significantly more expensive, and saying "I like JFK better than EWR" probably won't cut it. What may cut it is that "I live in Long Island/CT and my flight back from LAX lands at midnight and it's an hour closer to my home".
The midtown law firms that people are probably thinking of, generally don't have a corporate policy requiring travel on a specific airline. The travel expenses just have to be reasonable so that they can be billed to the client, and typically there is no side-by-side comparison across different airports when doing the billing.

Also, lawyers often bill for travel time, so if it takes even an extra .5 hours (meaning any number between 16 minutes and 30 minutes) to get to EWR instead of JFK, that can easily cost the client $350 or more. That alone should offset any fare difference that might exist between UA and AA/DL/B6.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
The midtown law firms that people are probably thinking of, generally don't have a corporate policy requiring travel on a specific airline. The travel expenses just have to be reasonable so that they can be billed to the client, and typically there is no side-by-side comparison across different airports when doing the billing.

Also, lawyers often bill for travel time, so if it takes even an extra .5 hours (meaning any number between 16 minutes and 30 minutes) to get to EWR instead of JFK, that can easily cost the client $350 or more. That alone should offset any fare difference that might exist between UA and AA/DL/B6.
The lower frequency on the competitors compared to UA (up to 17x SFO 15x LAX) may also cost those "clients" some productivity.

It's always funny when people tout "frequency is king", but that doesn't apply when UA is the frequency king.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Most likely a invalid data point because my Mother & I are not lawyers.
To recap a conversation I had earlier with her today regarding paid F tickets on SFO-EWR-SDQ r/t

"So are the flights to NY & home going to have the flat beds like I flew back last time?"
No, those go to JFK we have to fly to EWR in recliners for our connection to the wedding.

Unfortunately this in September.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:07 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by LAXIAD8
The lower frequency on the competitors compared to UA (up to 17x SFO 15x LAX) may also cost those "clients" some productivity.

It's always funny when people tout "frequency is king", but that doesn't apply when UA is the frequency king.
Except that UA nearly has that frequency now to EWR so if the person is not flying into EWR now and will not fly to EWR in the future, frequency doesn't matter much to those flyers.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
From day 1, Smisek was not a fan of PS and they dismissed it and it's success.
You mean the money it was successfully losing for ~4 years before Smisek et. al. came on the scene?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
Yes, the whole point of ps originally was to attract the level of HVF who are not bound by restrictive corporate travel policies.

Originally Posted by ijgordon
JFK isn't supporting the $4k fares that you seem to want UA to get either now. @:-)
Perhaps you don't understand the fundamental point of a fare war, which is to drive out competition so you can eventually raise fares higher. J Fares will climb back up on JFK-LAX/SFO. EWR-LAX/SFO will not support the same fares.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.