FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Airlines | MileagePlus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus-681/)
-   -   p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-airlines-mileageplus/1688126-p-s-operations-transitioning-ewr-october-25-2015-a.html)

UA Insider Jun 16, 2015 10:05 am

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Hi everyone,

Today we are announcing the transition of our transcontinental p.s. premium service from JFK to EWR, for flights to SFO and LAX, beginning October 25. When we transition p.s. operations to EWR, we will cease operations at JFK.

The launch of p.s. at EWR will bring an upgraded airport product to p.s. customers, and coincides with investments already in progress at SFO and LAX. Customers flying out of EWR will have access to near-hourly transcontinental service, with the most flat-bed seats in the New York-SFO/LAX combined market. In addition to the p.s. aircraft we are moving from JFK to EWR, we will also reposition some of our flatbed-equipped 757s from trans-Atlantic routes to transcontinental routes in order to maintain or grow our existing EWR frequency levels. When we have completed this schedule adjustment, all of our flights from EWR to LAX and SFO will feature flat-bed seats.

Read more about the p.s. transition in our press release. If you are already booked on a p.s. flight departing after October 25, we will be rebooking you on one of our Newark-based p.s. flights. This change will happen the weekend of June 19. Once the change is processed, if the schedule or route doesn’t work for you, please contact us for other options.

-UA Insider

tarheelnj Jun 16, 2015 10:07 am

Originally Posted by UA Insider (Post 24978593)
Hi everyone,

Today we are announcing the transition of our transcontinental p.s. premium service from JFK to EWR, for flights to SFO and LAX, beginning October 25. When we transition p.s. operations to EWR, we will cease operations at JFK.

The launch of p.s. at EWR will bring an upgraded airport product to p.s. customers, and coincides with investments already in progress at SFO and LAX. Customers flying out of EWR will have access to near-hourly transcontinental service, with the most flat-bed seats in the New York-SFO/LAX combined market. In addition to the p.s. aircraft we are moving from JFK to EWR, we will also reposition some of our flatbed-equipped 757s from trans-Atlantic routes to transcontinental routes in order to maintain or grow our existing EWR frequency levels. When we have completed this schedule adjustment, all of our flights from EWR to LAX and SFO will feature flat-bed seats.

Read more about the p.s. transition in our press release. If you are already booked on a p.s. flight departing after October 25, we will be rebooking you on one of our Newark-based p.s. flights. This change will happen the weekend of June 19. Once the change is processed, if the schedule or route doesn’t work for you, please contact us for other options.

-UA Insider

Great news for those of us in NJ! When will we be able to see seat maps on post-Oct 25 flights?

End of an era at JFK, though...

zrs70 Jun 16, 2015 10:07 am

Wow!!! That's huge.

Questions that come to mind:

1) will all flights be ps, or just some?
2) will all flights have flat bed?
3) if I am booked to Ewr and hoping for a cpu - for a flight after oct 25 - will I be able to change my booking to secure a mileage upgrade?

UA-NYC Jun 16, 2015 10:11 am

Well that's quite stupid...bye bye JFK

jsl42 Jun 16, 2015 10:11 am

I hope ORD-LGA isn't next.

UA-NYC Jun 16, 2015 10:13 am

Poor decision IMO. T7 at JFK is great as you can easily be curb to gate in 5 minutes. Such a nice small terminal. :td:

tuolumne Jun 16, 2015 10:13 am

Wow....The end of an era. Thanks for the good times T7 and all my loved RCC staff. what a bitter moment:(

http://s10.postimg.cc/d42xf8vi1/JFK...nited_sign.jpg

mherdeg Jun 16, 2015 10:15 am

Was there a crew base at JFK? Will there be?

I wonder if any of the *A carriers at JFK will leave for EWR. Quite a few - AC, CA, AI, NH, OZ, OS, AV, SN, CM, MS, BR, LO, LH, SQ, SA, LX, TK ( http://www.staralliance.com/en/servi...on/airport/jfk ).

bmwe92fan Jun 16, 2015 10:16 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 24978648)
Poor decision IMO. T7 at JFK is great as you can easily be curb to gate in 5 minutes. Such a nice small terminal. :td:

Totally agree with you - but I can understand the UA logic here - it must be a significant cost investment in operating such a small operation full time when you have a huge hub 10 miles away... Wonder if this means we will get better lounge options at EWR?

EWR764 Jun 16, 2015 10:16 am

I was wondering who was going to blink first...

amartin1979 Jun 16, 2015 10:16 am

Wow. Another reason to abandon United for NYC travel.

coolbeans202 Jun 16, 2015 10:17 am

My EWR-SFO flight booked at the end of November and upgraded with an RPU just got a lot more interesting!

RockinPete Jun 16, 2015 10:17 am

I kind of figured it was in development.
I'm not NYC based but I did travel to NYC 2-4 times a year and prefered JFK for taxi reasons. Taking a cab to EWR during rush hour is a pain and I almost always took the subway to Penn Station.

aacharya Jun 16, 2015 10:19 am

Originally Posted by UA-NYC (Post 24978648)

I tend to agree and at the same time disagree. (not with the T7 aspect, but the overall shutdown of JFK).

For those who use EWR mainly, this is a big increase in amenities and service.

For those *A connections to/from EU over to the West Coast, this basically forces passengers to schlep over to another airport, cross alliances, or book JetBlue.

I will defer on the NYC passenger impact, because I think we've gone through that discussion over and over again. (east side v. west side)

sfozrhfco Jun 16, 2015 10:20 am

Wow, guess the writing was on the wall when they pulled the non-PS feeder flights. With AA/B6/DL ramping up service and B6 causing premium fares to drop, guess it makes some sense. Two more flagship pre merger UA routes bite the dust as they retreat back to the fortress hub at EWR.