Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:43 pm

Originally Posted by ijgordon
You mean the money it was successfully losing for ~4 years before Smisek et. al. came on the scene?
And the years it made money were the years Delta was running all-coach Song aircraft and Virgin America had not yet launched.

It's no longer the duopoly it was from 2004-2007.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by iflyalexair
I live in Brooklyn (Park Slope) and work at the WTC. Despite my proximity to EWR and the PATH trains, I simply prefer JFK or LGA.
Well, come on, I wouldn't call Brooklyn in "proximity" to EWR, you have to cross two bodies of water, and that's a lot of potential choke points. From WTC, however, it's certainly easier to EWR than to JFK by car (and if they extend PATH even to the AirTrain, that would be competitive with MTA to JFK), but clearly living in Brooklyn strongly tips the balance to JFK. Understandable.

Even when I lived in Columbus Circle, I would never fly out of EWR. Late night arrivals were a guaranteed forever wait for NJ transit schedules, plus a subway ride from NYP or a 90$ cab ride. So, not every midtown west flyer is going to use EWR.
Actually, I live not too far north of Columbus Circle. Late-nights are meant for a car service ($60-70, not $90), and it's zip-zip, 20-25 minutes, as fast as LGA from the UWS. And if you wanted public transport, there's this thing called the Newark Airport Express Bus to the Port Authority that was every 15-20 minutes, probably even better than late-night AirTrain to LIRR where frequencies aren't great either.

I haven't flown UA since they merged rez systems (was former loyal CO flyer) and thus have only been to EWR maybe 2-3 times in the last few years, but it really wasn't a bad option from the UWS.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:48 pm

Originally Posted by DCA writer
On that note... does this suggest UA is more confident than it's letting on about the PATH extension to EWR getting built?
Theres absolutely stuff going on behind the scenes with this.

My bet: No PATH extension, but youll see the new Aitrain monorail extended to Newark Penn (ie, the current one demolished and replaced with a 35mph version).

Remember the Atlantic City debacle? United is in deep with the PANY crony brigade.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:51 pm

What transatlantic routes will be cancelled then?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:53 pm

Heres an angle that might be thrown in:

Amtrak.

Right now, very few Amtrak trains stop at EWR, but they do offer United codeshare to Philly and Stamford.

What if United cooks up a deal with Amtrak to get more people ticketed straight into New York Penn?

Amtrak goes between EWR and NYP 5-10 minutes faster than NJT, and does so with significantly more room for baggage.

As long as the schedules make sense, it would be many times easier than JFK, and dont even try and suggest that the business flyer would rather a yellow cab than an Amtrak.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA1K
Originally Posted by RockinPete
Agreed. I don't know too many people, more so New Yorkers, that prefer JFK or EWR to LGA.

But, UA doesn't fly to LAX or SFO (direct) from LGA.
IF UA does start to fly to LGA direct, even non-PS service, I would be okay with this move and I would understand.

To me, it seems like it's only a matter of 6-18 months before UA announces pulling out of LGA.
i don't mind the layover...and since i'm at SNA (i know there is the EWR-SNA flight), i actually like breaking the trip up via ORD/DEN. LGA is just so much more convenient.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
As long as the schedules make sense, it would be many times easier than JFK, and dont even try and suggest that the business flyer would rather a yellow cab than an Amtrak.
While it would be an improvement over NJT+Airtrain, I can easily see a business traveler preferring a single seat "office to terminal" cab or car service ride to a "taxi/subway to Penn Station, Amtrak to EWR stop, Airtrain to terminal" ride.

I would probably go with the public transport routes during the business day, since I value predictability, but I know I'm in the minority of my colleagues.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
Hmm.. I visited the website but it's just an advertisement, with no explanation of how to set up a flight (or crowdsource a charter, or whatever the term is). How do you actually "do it"?
This might be a better link:

http://www.gothamair.com/

Right now (6 PM EDT) Google maps is showing 1:13 to EWR and 1:04 to JFK from 121 W 41st in Midtown.

If you live in Queens or points east it's a different story.

Last edited by Bonehead; Jun 16, 2015 at 4:03 pm
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EsquireFlyer
The midtown law firms that people are probably thinking of, generally don't have a corporate policy requiring travel on a specific airline. The travel expenses just have to be reasonable so that they can be billed to the client, and typically there is no side-by-side comparison across different airports when doing the billing.

Also, lawyers often bill for travel time, so if it takes even an extra .5 hours (meaning any number between 16 minutes and 30 minutes) to get to EWR instead of JFK, that can easily cost the client $350 or more. That alone should offset any fare difference that might exist between UA and AA/DL/B6.
Fair enough, though I don't think it's just the midtown east law firms that drive this business. Bankers, while often passing through expenses, don't charge clients by the hour, and still adhere to corporate policies (with exceptions when flying WITH clients...).
Old Jun 16, 2015, 4:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1MM
Originally Posted by jamesinclair
Heres an angle that might be thrown in:

Amtrak.

Right now, very few Amtrak trains stop at EWR, but they do offer United codeshare to Philly and Stamford.

What if United cooks up a deal with Amtrak to get more people ticketed straight into New York Penn?

Amtrak goes between EWR and NYP 5-10 minutes faster than NJT, and does so with significantly more room for baggage.

the problem there is schedule. now i know NYC is better than New Haven for amtrak but still, I'll often look at trips with EWR and think, great, i'll amtrak to EWR, and fly out, then i look at the amtrak schedule and think, never mind I'll drive and park.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 4:08 pm

Originally Posted by ACVBear
the problem there is schedule. now i know NYC is better than New Haven for amtrak but still, I'll often look at trips with EWR and think, great, i'll amtrak to EWR, and fly out, then i look at the amtrak schedule and think, never mind I'll drive and park.
But thats only now because most Amtrak trains skip EWR. Theres dozens more that go by without stopping. Never mind NJT that skips EWR during peak hours as well.

With proper coordination, tied in with the premium service arrival and departure times, United could work with Amtrak to get the right trains stopping at EWR at the right times.

One barrier: The 90 minute " transfer". From my experience booking the Amtrak connection, youre not allowed to book a train that arrives in EWR less than 90 minutes before departure, even though you can get from train to gate in 30 minutes.

If that illogical bureaucratic detail is eliminated, and the schedules are coordinated, it's a whole new story.

If.

Lots of ifs.

Of course I'm assuming someone at United gives a damn about things like the customer.

Incidentally, in another fantasy world where companies and agencies coordinate...

Most NJT trains actually terminate in Queens - but dont allow people to ride there. If they offered through service and picked up riders in Jamaica, that whole pesky Brooklyn/Queens inconvenience thing flies out the window.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 4:12 pm

Originally Posted by LASUA1K
I'm sorry, but this is a bad bad bad decision. People in the west coast, dislike EWR, and they will take business elsewhere. I remember hearing UA was making money on this route now they are not? Is it because First went away on the route?
It is not that people on the west coast dislike EWR, it is people that dislike EWR dislike EWR. I am on the west coast. I like EWR. I can’t stand JFK – even more than I can’t stand LGA.

UA seems to be able to change station profits into losses overnight. Just look what they did to CLE. They decided they didn’t want to be there, they decided to restructure things to make losses there. Some thing, no doubt, at JFK.

Originally Posted by red grenadine
Getting to/from Newark from Midtown Manhattan is a disaster. They are going to lose a decent chunk of customers
Nonsense. EWR to Manhattan is an easy train ride. Shorter than the train from JFK.

Originally Posted by unitedfflyer
Wow, no presence at all at JFK. I wish they would switch the name of the airline to CO. This airline is returning to pmCO in its entirety. 3rd rate airline, flying into 3rd rate airports.
Enough. You may not have liked CO, but it was a top notch airline and largely flew to the same airports at UA. Attack J.S., not one of the two airlines he brought down. We have had enough of the UA CO infighting.

That said, IMO, JFK is a 34d rate airport – along with LGA. Not so for EWR.

Originally Posted by CMK10
Add me to the list of people who are disappointed. EWR isn't bad (most of the time, except Terminal A...that's bad all the time) but it's not much of a Star Hub. This cuts off access to a lot of airlines and flights out of JFK on other Star carriers. And it removes an airport that's easy to get to from the east side, from Queens, Westchester, Connecticut etc. Very, very disappointing.
Who would connect at JFK onto a *A airline? Few. It is so much better to connect at EWR, ORD, or IAH. Or if one is going TPAC, at SFO.

Originally Posted by Weez_1000
While an inconvenience for people out on the island and possibly some in the outer boroughs. EWR is definitely more convenient for people in Manhattan, 3 stops from NY Penn Station is pretty nice.
I use EWR when I need to go to Queens/Brooklyn. I quick train ride to Penn Station, a quick hot dog, and then another quick train ride to Queens/Brooklyn; far better than having to deal with ugly and inefficient JFK or LGA and the unfortunate staffs there.

Originally Posted by red grenadine
I'm assuming most business travelers aren't subjecting themselves to the misery that is Penn Station and NJ Transit.
Most people are taking black cars. You have basically one way off the island going west in the Lincoln Tunnel vs. multiple ways to get east
It is there loss – and their employers loss – if they aren’t using public transit. Most people, travelling on business, however aren’t working for firms with deep pockets – they are taking the train. Others ride in blue Super Shuttle vans.

Originally Posted by gengar
Note the "European" qualifier. There are quite a few non-European *A carriers that serve JFK and not EWR, and that's what the FT'ers in the IAD-JFK thread were complaining about.
Except, anyone going TPAC is going to connect at EWR, ORD, SFO, or LAX – surely not at JFK. Perhaps the only *A that will be hurt by this is MS.

Originally Posted by CO FF
This is a horrible move for large groups of travelers:
-- People needing taxis to/from the airport (EWR is 2x the cost, and less predictable (and with fewer options) than JFK, even as bad as the Van Wyck is at all times [other than between 12:00am and 11:59pm])
No one ever needs to take a taxi. That is a choice. Really, where in NYC can’t one get by public transit?

Originally Posted by vdostoi1
TK tends to make bold moves. I bet you we will see JFK-IST relocate to EWR... But, I may be wrong.
I think it may be more likely that TK will add IST-EWR to its present IST-JFK offerings – if they want to grow TK-UA connecting traffic. They certainly had none – or close to none – at JFK. Those connecting TK-UA have been doing so at ORD & other stations.

Originally Posted by Kacee
Actually, it's the other way around. Pax from other countries are flying their flag carriers into JFK and connecting to ps. They will now be connecting to OAL, most likely B6.
Really, just how many people from other countries transit JFK en-route to LAX or SFO? Why wouldn’t they connect at ORD or just fly non-stop to SFO/LAX?

Originally Posted by blueman2
You nailed it with the OAK comparision. EWR is a nasty airport with nasty employees in an inconvenient location to NYC. Just like OAK to San Francisco. For people who live near EWR, this is a win, of course.
OAK isn’t bad. EWR isn’t bad. But JFK is an armpit with nasty employees there – do you forget that they are New Yorkers? Not so much at EWR.

Originally Posted by FlyingNone
--------------------------
What happens to the hundreds of UAL employees that work there ?
Also people that live in Queens and Long Island will have a much longer (2 hour) commute to New Jersey. Southern and Western Connecticut would be about a three hour drive one way = No one from these areas is going to use United at Newark unless they love driving through the entire metropolitan region = gridlock for hours.
Will this also mean (as rumor has it) that transcons are soon to be offered from LGA ?
UA doesn’t care about its employees. The ones at JFK will be offered positions at LGA and EWR, no doubt; others might transfer to ORD. But don’t worry – its not that they don’t care about employees at JFK. They don’t care about the ones at EWR or anywhere else either. They only care about senior management and short term stock changes. Not the employees, not the customers, and certainly not their long term growth.

Transcons at LGA would violate the perimeter rule. However, though there may be room for more LGA-DEN-SFO & LGA-DEN-LAX direct flights, even ones without scheduled equipment changes.

Originally Posted by ozziegumby
JFK is symbolically 'the place to be' for airlines and its sad that United is no longer going to be there.
Perhaps it is that JFK is symbolic for airlines that like old, dumpy, ugly, inefficient airports and those New Yorkers who think they need a passport to cross the Hudson. Those on the cutting edge go to EWR.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
There you have current management's strategy in a nutshell. Flee competition, retreat to fortress hubs.
I think this describes the strategy of the US network carriers and Southwest in recent years (with the exception of Delta's expansion in Seattle, which is no consolation to the people in CVG and MEM).

AA, DL and B6 have no other option than JFK. That's why they're sticking it out even though financials on the routes have deteriorated for everyone. United, on the other hand, has a good alternative.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus Premier Executive
Wow! THat is too bad! EWR is far from premium and the UA clubs there are dated and have poor service! I used UA from JFK to NRT and London in the 1990s and CA in the 2000s when they had 3 class service. It is too bad to see the new United become less premium all the time. United to New York for me is not an option now with them only serving 2 out of the 3 airports and their tiny LGA presence. EWR is not an airport I like to use for NYC travel. I guess American and JetBlue are the only premium airlines to NYC. This would be like UA leaving LHR in England. Thanks for the great service to JFK over the years United Airlines! UA used to be the airline for transcontinental travel to NEw York!
Old Jun 16, 2015, 4:17 pm

Programs: UA GS, Amex Centurion
I for one think this is a positive. I am actually writing this from the afternoon PS SFO-JFK. I fly in J and tickets can be very hard to get last minute. I was actually checking the app frequently this AM, waiting for something to open up, and had my admin book it immediately.

I am in finance and work in Midtown. My experience is that from the office, most of my colleagues are agnostic on JFK vs EWR. However, the NYC airport is much more important relative to your home. I may be biased as a Hoboken resident, but this is fantastic.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.