Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
Giving up a route you have been flying over 50 years ?
New York is a hudge market, looks like flights operate pretty full from both EWR and JFK. Why not keep some service from JFK, add ORD and IAH. They dropped IAD lady year. Probably related to the merger, UA putting all their resources into EWR.

Last edited by buckeyefanflyer; Jun 16, 2015 at 3:19 pm
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:14 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by LAXIAD8
The lower frequency on the competitors compared to UA (up to 17x SFO 15x LAX) may also cost those "clients" some productivity.

It's always funny when people tout "frequency is king", but that doesn't apply when UA is the frequency king.
Which would have some validity if JFK and EWR were the same airport, but they are not, and those who were flying into JFK are not going to just starting flying into EWR.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:14 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Except that UA nearly has that frequency now to EWR so if the person is not flying into EWR now and will not fly to EWR in the future, frequency doesn't matter much to those flyers.
Then it's a personal choice that someone would artificially subject themselves to lower frequency or fewer flat bed seats to upgrade over an irrational avoidance of an airport.

The way I see it -

# of Daily SFO-NYC flights with flat bed :
UA 17
DL 8
AA 7

UA > DL+AA
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Originally Posted by EWRMAN
EWR V JFK from midtown.

Psychologically JFK feels closer and easier but it isn't. I think a large part of it is down to the fact that taking a yellow taxi to EWR was always such a hassle.

I'm not a real FF but in the last couple of years must of done midtown to JFK and EWR 15 times each and I've had far more horrible taxi journeys trying to get to JFK.
New York Penn to Jamaica can be done in around 25 minutes on LIRR on off peak. It's then a painless process on the AirTrain to T7 (or any of the terminals.)

New York Penn to EWR requires a ride on NJ Transit (more expensive, worse schedules, beat up trains) to the AirTrain Newark. IIRC, only during rush hour with express trains can a ride from NYC Penn to Newark Penn be done in around 20 minutes. The only reason for this is because they bypass Seacaucus station which adds easily another 10 minutes to the journey.

Meaning, it takes longer to get to the EWR airport station than it does Jamaica. And good luck utilizing NJ Transit from EWR to NYC on the weekends or during off peak. It will take you up to 2 hours.

Once you get to EWR, everything way worse than JFK. Travel time door to door is more, and then you have to put up with the mishap of Terminal C security lines, crowds, and delays.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, BA Silver, Marriott Gold
Very sorry to see this go.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Silver. Former AA gold. UA MP and DL Plat AMEX cardholder
Then it's a personal choice that someone would artificially subject themselves to lower frequency or fewer flat bed seats to upgrade over an irrational avoidance of an airport.

The way I see it -

UA 17
DL 8
AA 7

UA > DL+AA
It's 17 flights on UA to Newark, NJ NOT New York City. And UA can't keep this type of frequency up long term either.

Since EWR is a buttcrack compared to JFK, I think JFK wins.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:23 pm

Which has nothing to do with where someone lives/works.

The way I see it -

UA 17
DL 8
AA 7

UA > DL+AA
LAX?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 1K, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Explorist, status-free on AA, AS, B6, DL, WN, Amtrak, etc.
Okay, you all have made a convincing argument: NYC has deficient road and transit infrastructure whether you're going east or west of Manhattan. But I grew up in the tri-state area (EWR was my home airport then), so that's not exactly news to me.

On that note... does this suggest UA is more confident than it's letting on about the PATH extension to EWR getting built?
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by DCA writer

On that note... does this suggest UA is more confident than it's letting on about the PATH extension to EWR getting built?
If Smisek could get that done he would be the CEO of the decade.

#NoChance
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:32 pm

United likely couldn't care less.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
I suppose that might depend on the corruption investigation goes where United allegedly bribed the PANYNJ chair with a weekly flight to his vacation house.

One thing I did find interesting, the timing of this change, Oct 24, which is the same date as last year's elimination of JFK-IAD, so the time may be a significant date in UA's contract with BA, which owns T7.

There may be more to the story than the way they're spinning it. Perhaps BA is going to move into T8 with AA and either redevelop or sell for redevelopment T7.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:36 pm

Where do the spare A320s, A319s, 753s, 738s, and 739s go?

Not sure if anybody pointed this out yet, but actually, this could be a good news for all UA flights from other cities. I guess the spare aircraft can easily fill up the DL/AA/B6/WN routes, so people from

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-carriers.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-routes-2.html

may be able to get better seats than CRJs or Q400s!
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:37 pm

As someone who lives in New jersey, making Newark my only real choice, Im just hoping this wont lead to more price increases.

Newark is already the most expensive airport in the area.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:38 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Very disappointed to hear UA is abandoning JFK. My trips to NY (from SFO) mean I'm traveling to Brookhaven, out on Long Island. Now I either have to connect through ORD to LGA, or fly non-stop via another airline.

Just another step down the spiral for UA.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by higgsjoa
Very disappointed to hear UA is abandoning JFK. My trips to NY (from SFO) mean I'm traveling to Brookhaven, out on Long Island. Now I either have to connect through ORD to LGA, or fly non-stop via another airline.

Just another step down the spiral for UA.
With 1MM, if I were you, I would have been long gone from UA, and maybe I would only leave UA for international flights. Any other domestic routes (except HNL, and GUM ones) are better than UAs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.