Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by NewportGuy
I can't imagine the decision process involved in choosing this airport.
I can...

Jeff: "Will it lower costs?"

Bean Counter: "Yes, but at the expense of..."

Jeff (Interrupting): "Do it."
Old Jun 16, 2015, 1:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by NewportGuy
I was going to say! Only United would choose New Jersey over... well... ANYWHERE. I went through EWR once. Like passing a kidney stone, I can't imagine the decision process involved in choosing this airport.

Given United's overseas reputation over the past week or so, the "international" traffic for United may see a significant decline.

At least we can hope...
I'm from NJ and couldn't agree more. (Love the kidney stone analogy, btw)
I took this route frequently in the past and the trains were far from completely reliable esp in the winter. There goes the option got CPU between the coasts as well for a direct flight. I just don't see the folks from the business sector doing the train route.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Bonehead
Gotham Air’s New $99 Helicopter Between Manhattan And JFK/EWR

The cost for first time users will be just $99 one way, and after that they’ll charge $199-219 depending on the departure time.

I remember a partnership awhile ago with US Helicopter. I wonder why Gotham thinks it will work better.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 1:09 pm

Programs: AA Pro (mostly B6) OZ♦ (flying BR/UA), BA Silver Hyatt LT, Wynn Black, Cosmo Plat, Mlife Noir
$99 is only the first time introductory price - they charge $199-219 for all trips after that. Additionally, they need four passengers before they will fly. So maybe pax will need to bank on spending $796-876 to guarantee a trip. Hardly seems dependable or reliable.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 1:11 pm
Suspended

Mark my words, this is only a temporary move. They'll try to "win" some customers over with the PS service out of EWR until they can successfully get rid of PS all-together, and just throw 738/739's on those routes.

This is a win for B6 because now many of those carriers out of JFK (especially the Star Alliance carriers) can now feed the traffic continuing on to LAX/SFO to B6's Mint service.

UA did not end this service because of a "smart" move to consolidate operations at EWR, they are ending it because the glorified regional carrier found themselves unable to compete, and are running away like scared cats.

PMCO's fortress hubs are becoming fortresses again.

Last edited by goalie; Jun 16, 2015 at 1:27 pm Reason: Removed off topic trolling comments
Old Jun 16, 2015, 1:12 pm

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
Certainly UAs right to abandon JFK, even if it means losing a lot of high end PS customers from NYC, Westchester and southern CT. But they sure should be blocked from selling gates to Delta. Enough of these smug oligopolies where everyone winks but no words are ever spoken about how to raise prices. Fares between EWR and JFK and LA/SFO were rarely the same, with UA demanding a EWR premium for its captive customers. I, for one, will be urging regulators to turn down the gate swap proposal with Delta. How about a nice new, foreign competitor? Fool us 7 times, shame on them. Fool us an 8th time, get out your check book.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 1:13 pm

Programs: AA EXP
So that's what the CFO meant when he said the A380 "doesn't work" with UA's network, UA will actively cut routes partner A380s connect with.
Originally Posted by Always Flyin
As the AA Board of Directors was heard today at lunch while clinking champagne glasses: "Thanks Jeff!"
More likely they're shopping lawyers to fight DL for the slots and trying to figure out how to match DL if DL is larger at JFK and has a full hub at LGA.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 1:16 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by entropy
Fundamentally, I guess for UA, sure, they can say they're "moving" the flights to EWR. The capacity in November might be A+B, if A is EWR's transcon traffic and B is PS today. In a year its going to be A. People used to flying to JFK are just going to switch carriers, and people who weren't schlepping to EWR aren't going to suddenly do so.

They're not going to be attracting anyone new with this move, its not like they're starting up VNY-TEB.
Exactly. VFTW said made a similar argument.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Originally Posted by milesmuncher
I just don't see what makes JFK so special for UA passengers, apart from maybe the smallness of the terminal.
1. JFK is easier to and from midtown east.
2. JFK is far less prone to air traffic delays.
3. JFK T7 is super easy and compact. There's no quicker walk to the gate, nor is there any quicker baggage delivery.
4. EWR is one of the nastiest airports in the country. Long lines, surly employees, frequent delays.
5. The Lincoln tunnel is a nightmare at rush hour.

Originally Posted by red grenadine
I live in Manhattan. I work in finance. I fly business class on business. I am talking business customers who work in midtown east. Bankers. Lawyers. Private Equity. Hedge funds. Advertising guys. Fashion guys. They are not taking public transportation into or out of manhattan to freaking Newark

Now personal flying? It's great. I live on the west side. I take the Holland tunnel and am there quickly. But there is no way in hell I am taking a black car from midtown east to Newark via the Lincoln Tunnel at 5 or 6PM trying to catch a business flight to SFO. I'll fly Delta out of JFK where I can feasibly get off the island
This is spot on. I work with these people. They're not going to fly out of Newark. Period, end of discussion.
While JFK has their advantages, it will be convenient to the ones connecting or starting from the NY side.. I drove from ROC to EWR and JFK a couple of times, and you can't imagine how much easier and more cost effective to just get to EWR.

1. Airtrain to car rental station
2. Save $21 of two bridges to Jamica and Flushinh
3. I don't have to go out of my way to get BF from JFK-SFO/LAX by starting at JFK

With all that said...JFK is nicer than EWR because..

1. Less lines
2. Better crowd control
3. One of the quietest UA clubs in the network.

I just don't like DL to keep getting JFK slots. But with this change, I can assure you I really would do my best to avoid check-in and TSA lines at EWR.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jun 16, 2015 at 1:26 pm Reason: repaired quote
Old Jun 16, 2015, 1:19 pm

Programs: Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist, Sixt Diamond, Hertz PC, Bonvoy Gold, UA G
Stupidity at its finest.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 1:22 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by Paulakers2010
I drove from ROC to EWR and JFK a couple of times, and you can't imagine how much easier and more cost effective to just get to EWR.
I've driven from ROC to NYC a couple of times. Even got stuck on 81 one Christmas Eve and had to spend the night in a motel. I can't imagine driving from ROC just to originate at EWR/JFK.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA 1k, Marriott Plat, HH gold, Avis/Hertz Pres
now with ZERO competition for NYC-SFO/LAX, cancellation of PS in 3.....2......1......
Old Jun 16, 2015, 1:24 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
I live in Manhattan. I work in finance. I fly business class on business. I am talking business customers who work in midtown east. Bankers. Lawyers. Private Equity. Hedge funds. Advertising guys. Fashion guys. They are not taking public transportation into or out of manhattan to freaking Newark
This is spot on. I work with these people. They're not going to fly out of Newark. Period, end of discussion.
Well, I work with these people too and many fly out of Newark. I think we can agree that it's ultimately a subjective decision, based on the location of your home, office, and final destination.

What is unambiguous is that United is trading three aggressive competitors at JFK to one weak competitor at EWR. In business, it usually makes sense to be the dominant player in a smaller market than a smaller player in a larger market.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 1:27 pm

Programs: Now UA free!, AA Ex Plat, AS MVP, Marriott Titanium for life
Originally Posted by airplanegod
Mark my words, this is only a temporary move. They'll try to "win" some customers over with the PS service out of EWR until they can successfully get rid of PS all-together, and just throw 738/739's on those routes.

This is a win for B6 because now many of those carriers out of JFK (especially the Star Alliance carriers) can now feed the traffic continuing on to LAX/SFO to B6's Mint service.

UA did not end this service because of a "smart" move to consolidate operations at EWR, they are ending it because the glorified regional carrier found themselves unable to compete, and are running away like scared cats.

PMCO's fortress hubs are becoming fortresses again.
DING! DING! DING! We have a winner. ^

We can debate all day over EWR and JFK (for me the only time I flew into EWR was enough) and yes traffic is bad either way. IMHO, people who do not know NYC see JFK as THE airport. Even though EWR is not the same as OAK, it has the same stigma.

When you boil it down UA is not able to compete with the majors. They have no desire to compete, you see it across their system. It saddens me to see all of the downgrades they have taken, I would not be surprised if we see more reductions at DEN and SFO- they are almost non existent now in SEA. While some would see this as a blessing, what are the plans with IAD?

Best of luck to those who stayed...

Last edited by goalie; Jun 16, 2015 at 1:28 pm Reason: edited quoted post to match edited original post
Old Jun 16, 2015, 1:30 pm

Getting to/from Newark from Midtown Manhattan is a disaster. They are going to lose a decent chunk of customers
And it's such a treat from JFK?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.