Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: UA Plat, Copa Pres. Plat, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG LT Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Actually, it's the other way around. Pax from other countries are flying their flag carriers into JFK and connecting to ps. They will now be connecting to OAL, most likely B6.

UA already has the connecting traffic ex-EWR. That's why this is going to be a net loss of connecting traffic for UA.

The bigger loss will be the HVF O/D traffic though.
I don't have the stats, so I'm reacting purely as a thought exercise...

If I'm flying one of those flag carriers and want to get to LAX or SFO, why on earth would I choose to connect through JFK (requiring customs clearance during my connection, switching terminals, etc.) vs. taking a direct flight from Europe or connecting onto a direct flight from Europe? Sure there are some places where JFK might be preferable, but are there really that many?

Programs: UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by red grenadine
Getting to/from Newark from Midtown Manhattan is a disaster. They are going to lose a decent chunk of customers
Either you have never taken the trip yourself or you have no idea of public transportation in the NYC area. I fly in and out of all 3 airports but driving and via the trains. You can get to midtown a lot faster to EWR than either LGA or JFK. And you dont have to take a bus with luggage like LGA. Airtrain to NJT, fast quick and cheap. You dont even need to stop at a machine to buy a ticket it can all be done via the app while youre walking to the airtrain.

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by vdostoi1
TK tends to make bold moves. I bet you we will see JFK-IST relocate to EWR... But, I may be wrong.
Why would they? TK already flies from SFO and LAX directly to IST and works with B6 as well for connecting tickets through JFK and BOS.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: Million Miler, 1K - Basically spend a lot of time on planes
I personally LOVE this change. The interesting thing to see will be what happens with the standard economy class fare. Buying JFK-LAX in economy is usually $150 each way, while the EWR-LAX fares are usually much higher. It doesn't affect me directly, but I am curious how that will play out. If I am booking a lot of people in economy in and out of New York to Los Angeles (As I do), the removal of the cheaper fare may drive even more of my business away from United.

Personally though for me own flights, I like this better

J
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
I have an LAX-EWR-Europe flight ticketed in Z on Oct 26. LAX-EWR had been on a 737. It's already changed in the system to a 757-200 (European configuration).

Edit: Seat map shows 757-200. Description shows 737-800.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Originally Posted by LASUA1K
25-30 minutes on the train. Yup, just on the train. What about taking the tram to the train, then taking a cab or public transportation once you get to the city, to reach your destination?

You have now far exceeded the 30 minutes you claim. Let's be real, I took the train recently, and it took me over an hour just to get into Penn Station. Add another 15 minute walk, to my hotel.
I am real. I've lived in NY for 10 years and a majority of the time I have flown out of EWR.

Being lazy and plugging it into google maps from my house to EWR 59 min on subway/train...1:13 min on subway train to JFK.
Car 50min to JFK and 36min to EWR.

I personally prefer taking a black car. But there are times when the arrival/departure I know will be mucked up with traffic so I take the train and that is when I am happy I am flying in/out of EWR (such as on Memorial Day weekend...).

What you are quoting about the train and me saying 30 min was talking about people who are already in Midtown as the person I was quoting was saying that Midtown business people are not going to make the trip to EWR over JFK.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by milesmuncher
Sure there are some places where JFK might be preferable, but are there really that many?
I have no idea what the volume is, but there will be a loss. The ps flights were being sold as codeshares on maybe a dozen foreign airlines.

As I said, the big loss will be the HVF O/D traffic.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by anc-ord772
Hahahahahahahahahahahaha

ROTFLMAO

EWR ≠ JFK except in crazy bizarro UNITED Willis tower world.
I was going to say! Only United would choose New Jersey over... well... ANYWHERE. I went through EWR once. Like passing a kidney stone, I can't imagine the decision process involved in choosing this airport.

Given United's overseas reputation over the past week or so, the "international" traffic for United may see a significant decline.

At least we can hope...
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:28 pm

Programs: UA GS/1MM, Ritz Carlton Plat
GFL access was a nice benefit for GS on LAX-JFK ps flights. First they took the GFL away at LAX, and I don't believe there is one at EWR, so they are essentially eliminating this GS benefit.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:29 pm

Originally Posted by as219
Possibly? This move effectively means the end of Queens/Brooklyn/Long Island pax flying UA to the west coast. While most of the premium-cabin traffic comes from Manhattan, you still have to fill the backs of planes with people. Where will they come from? Local O&D? Connections to *A flights? I'm scratching my head here.
I think United realizes it is not competitive for Queens/Brooklyn/Long Island/CT. In reality, it never was with a very limited network out of JFK that was more oriented to the west coast.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:29 pm

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by zrs70
I have an LAX-EWR-Europe flight ticketed in Z on Oct 26. LAX-EWR had been on a 737. It's already changed in the system to a 757-200 (European configuration).

Edit: Seat map shows 757-200. Description shows 737-800.
Good reminder for anyone already in F post-10/26 in a 73x. Be sure you're in rows 1-4, so that if the flight switches to a 752 with 16 BF seats, you have a better chance of not getting bumped down.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:30 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by Adelphos
Surprised no one ever discusses VX when it comes to transcons. Their premium product is old, but a lot of SF tech companies are loyal to VX, and a lot of people fly those planes in economy. VX flies to both SFO/LAX from both EWR/JFK and isn't going away anytime soon, which will may keep rates down.
As you alluded to, the VX premium cabin does not compete with flat bed carriers. For day flights, not so much an issue. For red eyes (mostly what i take SFO-JFK) VX is a non-starter.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:32 pm
Original Member

Programs: UA 1K/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Plat Amb
Looks like they already pulled all JFK flights after 10/24. It's going to be an issue for me, since we are looking at a 10/23-25 weekend trip.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CO 1K-MM
Originally Posted by SEA1K4EVR
I don't believe it to be an urban FlyerTalk myth... the timing of it was too coincidental... and unless you're the one who was booking travel for everyone in the union I doubt you are qualified to say "most" everyone was flying AA when UA was supplying a significant amount of the 3 class F capacity on the route at the time...
The timing was CO management taking over, period. Why is AA still doing 3 clAAss service on brand-spanking new airplanes? A couple actors a day flying PS F doesn't make or break it.

Its pretty amazing to see the puffery in the PR pieces announcing the move, its not a strategic withdrawal, it lets passengers use the bull- OTG ipads in the terminal!

Last edited by goalie; Jun 16, 2015 at 12:49 pm Reason: Quote the member's name when quoting their post
Old Jun 16, 2015, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Seriously though, it's kind of sad for me that I will never take ps again. UNITED already dominates the EWR market, they are not going to pick up more traffic by moving ps over there. I loathed going to EWR when I lived in NYC (Washington Heights & Fort Greene).

Now, as an eastbound customer:
  1. Flying from LAX and ending in NYC - AirTrain -> NJ Transit -> Subway/Taxi is more inconvenient (and costly) than transit options via JFK.
  2. Flying from LAX and transiting through EWR - EWR and its endless delays make it the LEAST attractive UNITED hub to transit through.
  3. The ps soft product was already the least competitive. I don't see a reason to switch when JFK has DL/VX/AA/B6.
Oh my God, I can't stop laughing at these people.

Last edited by anc-ord772; Jun 16, 2015 at 1:02 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.