Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

p.s. Operations Transitioning to EWR on October 25, 2015

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:06 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus 2MM
I think it is a smart decision...

POSITIVE

1. Passengers who arrive on Star Alliance into JFK aren't, for the most part, taking a connection on PS flights to LAX or SFO.
2. Consolidating everything at EWR makes sense if they are offering almost hourly transcon service to LAX and SFO. Much better frequency.
3. It sounds like while initially not all flights will have lay-flat seats, eventually all will. All the PS fleet plus the 757's no longer flying transatlantic at the beginning, and a hint at more aircraft being configured with lay-flat.
4. AA, DL, VX and JetBlue all offer premium service from JFK - UA will have EWR to itself.
5. UA has a large wealthy catchment area in northern NJ - some of them have probably gone to JFK in the past to get the lay flat seats so UA should win those pax.
6. EWR has several rail option linking it it to the WTC and Penn Station in Manhattan. Although I seem to recall the the the monorail from EWR NJ Transit/Amtrak to terminals is being completely replaced.

NEGATIVE

1. EWR is a PITA to get to from Manhattan if between the hours of 3pm to 7pm. Getting into Manhattan off redeyes is awful too, by car/taxi.
2. The Pulaski Skybridge is closed inbound to Manhattan for at least another year and a half. You can still take 78 to reach the Holland Tunnel if you need to get to Lower Manhattan and Wall Street.
3. People who work/live in Midtown and Uptown who used to fly UA may abandon UA, as will several pax on Long Island.

I think overall UA will financially do better - depends on how many corporate accounts they lose and win because of this. Not that any NY airport ever lands in the top 20 list but I suppose JFK is our marquee airport....Really have to emphasize how horrible this is for the staff at JFK who the radio report (for what it is worth) said were being let go - there are some real gems at JFK who have been there for decades - I left last Thursday and several were at the 6:02am SFO departure gate still being professional and thanking us for our business. I hope they get good severance packages.

JFK has been on a downward spiral for years in terms of UA presence which is why the CO merger really came about as a good thing for those who had remained loyal. LHR, NRT, GRU, HKG all disappeared years ago, the only domestic destination was IAD which was a joke and perhaps a flight to ORD way back after UA bought PA's LHR authority. UA just never had the presence to make it work at JFK. So while this is painful, and hard to imagine not seeing a UA plane at JFK any longer, I unfortunately think this makes sense. And there is still LGA.

Can't wait for the threads to begin, if they haven't already, "Will my flight from EWR to LAX/SFO have layflat seats..."...

Adam
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:13 pm

Originally Posted by EnvoyBoy
I'm on a PS flight right now and the crew had no idea. I'm responsible for some tears and serious devastation.

Sad.
Did they break down during the flight? Well, management decisions from board of directors don't get down to unions that fast. But this is definitely management decision, and right, I bet everyone in JFK will be devastated.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
I live in Brooklyn (Park Slope) and work at the WTC. Despite my proximity to EWR and the PATH trains, I simply prefer JFK or LGA.

From work: I can take the E train from WTC (where I'll get a seat) and be at Jackson Heights in 35 minutes (for the bus or a cheap cab to LGA) or Jamaica in 45 minutes. No traffic. I got a seat. Relatively reliable service. Trains every 3-5 minutes, etc.

To/From home: There is no connection as easy as JFK-Jamaica Airtrain-LIRR to Atlantic Terminal in Brooklyn. It's a piece of CAKE. That can be done in less than 35/40 minutes.

Even when I lived in Columbus Circle, I would never fly out of EWR. Late night arrivals were a guaranteed forever wait for NJ transit schedules, plus a subway ride from NYP or a 90$ cab ride. So, not every midtown west flyer is going to use EWR.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:16 pm

Programs: AP SE, Bonvoy Plat, HH Gold, EC Executive, Hertz Pres Circle, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
What *A partners currently have EWR flights? SAS I know, and SQ used to fly from EWR as well as JFK. I would guess that Copa belongs on the list. Any others? Does AC even fly into EWR?
AC has about 5 flights a day YYZ-EWR, as well as some flights to YUL and maybe YOW.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by Weez_1000
While an inconvenience for people out on the island and possibly some in the outer boroughs. EWR is definitely more convenient for people in Manhattan, 3 stops from NY Penn Station is pretty nice.
Six of one, half a dozen of the other vs. JFK. From Penn Station, it's just about the same amount of time LIRR/Airtrain to JFK as NYT/Airtrain to EWR. If you're close to the E train, then E/Airtrain to JFK is notably better.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:21 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by entropy
Fundamentally, I guess for UA, sure, they can say they're "moving" the flights to EWR. The capacity in November might be A+B, if A is EWR's transcon traffic and B is PS today. In a year its going to be A. People used to flying to JFK are just going to switch carriers, and people who weren't schlepping to EWR aren't going to suddenly do so.

They're not going to be attracting anyone new with this move, its not like they're starting up VNY-TEB.
Yep. UA already flew into both EWR and JFK. Those that wanted to fly into EWR already did. Those that flew into JFK are not now going to say, "Gee, I think I'll now fly into EWR." Not going to happen.

Originally Posted by Weez_1000
To each his own.....I would rather get my work done in my office and know i have a 30 or 40 minute commute than leave my office 2 hours earlier than needed because I may or may not hit traffic. Not saying you're wrong just saying you and I differ on how we would rather spend our time.
I am going to suspect you and I are in different occupational fields. The lawyers in my firm are not taking public transport to the airport.

Originally Posted by Crazyboutflying
I'm from NJ and couldn't agree more. (Love the kidney stone analogy, btw)
I took this route frequently in the past and the trains were far from completely reliable esp in the winter. There goes the option got CPU between the coasts as well for a direct flight. I just don't see the folks from the business sector doing the train route.
Or the legal sector. I can be productive in the back of a limo. I can't be on a train.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by cptlflyer
And it's such a treat from JFK?
Here's the thing. Getting off the island west into NJ you have two routes: the Lincoln Tunnel and the Holland tunnel. From a midtown office tower the latter too far away to feasibly go to, so you are at the mercy of traffic in the Lincoln Tunnel. If there's some type of lane closure or something you are just SOL sitting there with no recourse hoping traffic lets up.

Getting off the island east? You have the Queensboro bridge and you have the Queens midtown tunnel. If you really need to you can hit the FDR and take the Williamsburg bridge.

Even for downtown folk - they have the holland tunnel, or if they are adventurous, the brooklyn tunnel to the Verrazano bridge. To JFK? They have the brooklyn tunnel, brooklyn bridge, manhattan bridge, and williamsburg bridge

Rush hour traffic is awful everywhere around Manhattan, completely agreed. But goal #1 is to get off the island. After that you can race around street level getting to JFK if you need to
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:23 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
As a 1K who lives ~20 miles due west of EWR ...

Who flies to SFO and LAX quite a bit ...

THIS ROCKS. ROCKS ROCKS ROCKS.

Just sayin'
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Landry's President's Club, Marriott Silver, Awesomeness EXPLT
Originally Posted by dkc715
Certainly UAs right to abandon JFK, even if it means losing a lot of high end PS customers from NYC, Westchester and southern CT. But they sure should be blocked from selling gates to Delta. Enough of these smug oligopolies where everyone winks but no words are ever spoken about how to raise prices. Fares between EWR and JFK and LA/SFO were rarely the same, with UA demanding a EWR premium for its captive customers. I, for one, will be urging regulators to turn down the gate swap proposal with Delta. How about a nice new, foreign competitor? Fool us 7 times, shame on them. Fool us an 8th time, get out your check book.
Hopefully the DOT/DOJ will block this slot swap. No reason that either airline needs more slots at their hubs.
Cheers
Howie
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Cargojon
Not sure when the last time was that you were in EWR, but at worst, it's no better or worse than JFK as it relates to air congestion, employee attitude, etc.
I was there in February. The pre-check line took 15 minutes. The clubs were packed to the gills. And the statistics show that EWR is substantially more prone to air traffic delays.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:29 pm

To avoid subway/train/ people mover transfer to EWR during rush hours, take the NY Waterway ferry from Pier 11 Wall street or Uptown at 39th street to Paulus Hook, or Hoboken NJ transit stop, or Port Imperial. Have Uber or taxi pick you up at the ferry stop and go directly to airport. No more Lincoln or Holland tunnel traffic to worry about.
For those who don't want to take the slow people mover at EWR, take taxi to Newark Penn station and board Path train or NJ transit there.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by fly18725
What is unambiguous is that United is trading three aggressive competitors at JFK to one weak competitor at EWR. In business, it usually makes sense to be the dominant player in a smaller market than a smaller player in a larger market.
There you have current management's strategy in a nutshell. Flee competition, retreat to fortress hubs.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Kacee
There you have current management's strategy in a nutshell. Flee competition, retreat to fortress hubs.
No major airline on earth thinks it can afford not to serve JFK, the main airport of the top city in the United States. Except United.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: UA MM | BA Silver
Originally Posted by Kacee
And make tons of money... Still waiting.
Old Jun 16, 2015, 2:34 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by dkc715
Certainly UAs right to abandon JFK, even if it means losing a lot of high end PS customers from NYC, Westchester and southern CT. But they sure should be blocked from selling gates to Delta. Enough of these smug oligopolies where everyone winks but no words are ever spoken about how to raise prices. Fares between EWR and JFK and LA/SFO were rarely the same, with UA demanding a EWR premium for its captive customers. I, for one, will be urging regulators to turn down the gate swap proposal with Delta. How about a nice new, foreign competitor? Fool us 7 times, shame on them. Fool us an 8th time, get out your check book.
Amen brother (or sister)!

Hey gov't -- how about enforcing the antitrust laws to the benefit of the people, rather than ignoring them in the interests of powerful lobbies with checkbooks.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.