Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Rumor: UA may buy A380 {UA CFO says "just doesnt really work for us"}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: UA may buy A380 {UA CFO says "just doesnt really work for us"}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by andrewwm
Pax at SFO don't seem to be avoiding UA, in fact it is UA boomtown at SFO.
Sort of like saying that unicorns are worth their valuation.

The bay area economy is absolutely on fire right now and UA is a fortuitous beneficiary (despite their many miscues).
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:46 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, UA 1MM Gold, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
That's not a sound conclusion. It's like saying that unicorns are worth their valuation.

The bay area economy is absolutely on fire right now and UA is a fortuitous beneficiary.
Regardless of the reason why UA is doing well in SF, pax counts are up which means UA needs more/larger planes.

A few A380s on a trial lease aren't exactly a lifetime commitment either.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
pax counts are up which means UA needs more/larger plane.
Isn't this because UA chooses to reduce frequency? It's not because more people are flying correct?
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:49 am

Programs: Platinum

Maybe they can use the 70's United livery for the two A380's
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:50 am

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by Alpha Golf
Well, if it's in airlinehubbuzz it must be true.

Maybe they'll have Jacuzzis. Show the Gulf3!
Apparently, the person that airlinehubbuzz references has been trying to get a US operator for the A380 for at least a year
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:56 am

Originally Posted by enviroian
Isn't this because UA chooses to reduce frequency? It's not because more people are flying correct?
No, absolute pax counts in SFO (total # of emplaned pax on UA airplanes including express) is way up since the merger. Reason is irrelevant - UA needs bigger planes as they are already gate maxed at SFO during the rush periods - around 8:00-10:00am.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 11:58 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Regardless of the reason why UA is doing well in SF, pax counts are up which means UA needs more/larger planes.

A few A380s on a trial lease aren't exactly a lifetime commitment either.
It doesn't mean that at all.

Capacity discipline has gone a long way towards increasing the stock prices. If UA adds A380s, its yields will drop, as will its stock.

It makes no economic sense for UA to acquire A380s, particularly with this penny-pinching management. Ain't going to happen.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:02 pm

Originally Posted by Always Flyin
First class is dead. Full stop.

United is a two-class of service airline. They just happened to acquire some three-class of service aircraft in an ill-conceived merger.
What they are now doesn't mean they can't make adjustments in the future, especially for an aircraft with as much floor space as an A380. IMO all bets are off if they get that bird, since it WILL be flown on the handful of routes that UAL actually sees positive returns from the intl. United First cabin (SFO-Asia/Frankfurt/Heathrow). I would venture 10-12F. Having it 2-class would give them a tremendous amount of Y and J seats to sell, not to mention forgoing an opportunity to make a splash with the introduction of a flagship cabin product.

Capacity discipline has gone a long way towards increasing the stock prices. If UA adds A380s, its yields will drop, as will its stock.

It makes no economic sense for UA to acquire A380s, particularly with this penny-pinching management. Ain't going to happen.
The necessity of capacity discipline during the post- 9/11, Ch. 11 restructuring era does not mean the airlines have to continue that march in perpetuity over a decade later, after consolidation, and in light of a resurgent economy. There's a convincing case to be made for the A380, and it should be easy to spin to investors if they get an amazing price (which they will have gotten if they go for it).

There is zero chance UA acquires any A380s. Zero.
Never say never my friend.

Last edited by goalie; Jun 2, 2015 at 7:31 pm Reason: Edited quoted post to match edited original post and added member name to quoted post
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:03 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by entropy
Most of the SA article is pure fantasy, particularly the parts about using it to offer a world-class product.
I'm not sure UA would even know what a world-class product is.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:06 pm

That doesn't make any sense. No one cares if yields drop if costs also drop. Total profitability is what matters.

As long as RASM/CASM is solid or increasing, no one cares about yields. Yields are only important given a fixed fleet. If you get a cheaper per-seat fleet but with more seats, it's fine if yields drop.

For example, replacing 767s with 787s increases ASM (which dilutes yields) but 787 and 767 trip costs are the same, which keeps costs in line and makes the flights overall more profitable.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:07 pm

BTW, I was on a conference call with colleagues based in TLS, and not only is this news to them, they reiterated the point that the A380 production is slated for closure as there is no longer the demand that there once was.

But, who knows, the Paris Air Show is in a few weeks, so there could always be a surprise, although my credentials mention nothing of such an announcement.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by tuolumne
What they are now doesn't mean they can't make adjustments in the future, especially for an aircraft with as much floor space as an A380. IMO all bets are off if they get that bird, since it WILL be flown on the handful of routes that UAL actually sees positive returns from the intl. United First cabin (SFO-Asia/Frankfurt/Heathrow). I would venture 10-12F. Having it 2-class would give them a tremendous amount of Y and J seats to sell, not to mention forgoing an opportunity to make a splash with the introduction of a flagship cabin product.

Never say never my friend.
Fantasyland analysis.

Never.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:12 pm

Originally Posted by fgirard
BTW, I was on a conference call with colleagues based in TLS, and not only is this news to them, they reiterated the point that the A380 production is slated for closure as there is no longer the demand that there once was.

But, who knows, the Paris Air Show is in a few weeks, so there could always be a surprise, although my credentials mention nothing of such an announcement.
I'm pretty sure the Airbus CEO had to walk back his statement that they were even considering closing the A380 line after pressure from Emirates: http://ch-aviation.com/portal/news/3...rates-outburst

Now, take that with a grain of salt. Certainly the future of the A380 is up in the air somewhat. But if UA eventually gets 10 of these, 2 each from Skymark and 2 from MH, plus 6 others off of the production line, I don't think that would be materially difficult. The A380 line won't be shut down until all unfullfilled orders are produced.

Fantasyland analysis.

Never.
What would you be willing to wager on it? I want to make some money.

Last edited by goalie; Jun 2, 2015 at 7:33 pm Reason: Please quote using the member's name
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:22 pm

I'm pretty sure the Airbus CEO had to walk back his statement that they were even considering closing the A380 line after pressure from Emirates: http://ch-aviation.com/portal/news/3...rates-outburst

Now, take that with a grain of salt. Certainly the future of the A380 is up in the air somewhat. But if UA eventually gets 10 of these, 2 each from Skymark and 2 from MH, plus 6 others off of the production line, I don't think that would be materially difficult. The A380 line won't be shut down until all unfullfilled orders are produced.

What would you be willing to wager on it? I want to make some money.
The issue with Emirates is about whether they can source replacement parts and keeping some minimal operation.

Also, the Skymark orders are still in a state of flux because Airbus is suing them for $700m in penalties. It would be in poor taste to release the airframes to another carrier if Skymark is forced to either pay or accept the frames.
Old Jun 2, 2015, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by fgirard
The issue with Emirates is about whether they can source replacement parts and keeping some minimal operation.
That usually isn't a problem for airlines for a long time after the line is closed. DC-9s kept flying for nearly 40 years after the line stopped. Airbus can still make money producing spares and Airbus isn't going out of business anytime soon.

Also, the Skymark orders are still in a state of flux because Airbus is suing them for $700m in penalties. It would be in poor taste to release the airframes to another carrier if Skymark is forced to either pay or accept the frames.
This isn't true. The Skymark planes are Airbus airplanes free and clear now. Skymark released all interest in the airplanes. And anyway, with Skymark in bankruptcy and selling off its assets like a firesale, I think the odds that they could successfully pay for even one A380 to be about 0.0001%

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.