Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Rumor: UA may buy A380 {UA CFO says "just doesnt really work for us"}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: UA may buy A380 {UA CFO says "just doesnt really work for us"}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2015, 11:45 pm

Programs: 6 year GS, now 2MM Jeff-ugee, *wood LTPlt, SkyPeso PLT
Originally Posted by TravellingMan

Lets face it, are any of you enjoying the Squeezeliner aka 787 or the horrid slimline seats that is worse than a park bench? It is just not the frequent travelers, even the occasional travelers I chat to have mentioned the terrible experience. These people were making mental notes about which carrier to avoid based on that experience.
+1 United is creating a generation of folks who avoid them, remember them as the cheap-o, upsell, bargan basement airline. DL and VX and HA and AS are working hard to see that people who fly the have a good flight. Does not always succeed, but they are trying. Which company do you think is going to to do well in the future.

Good example, I just bought a United flight (first one in a while) so I get a "buy first" offer for $149 at ticketing. Then 5 minutes later i go to check in, get told "upgrade for $99 bucks, only one left". So much for status...

DL, I get sold a ticket, offered F and Y pricing when I buy. That is it, if F is not sold, I get upgraded.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by TravellingMan

With that gone, the carrier that provides decently comfortable seats (no, not the slim line seats) with 2 free checked in bags is going to win hands down on the international sector. How else are they going to differentiate themselves from the rest of the airlines flying the same 777/380/350 etc? I cannot see any US carrier doing it, so expecting someone else to do the simple thing - comfortable seats and 2 free checked in bags. When that word gets around, it is going to be more popular than the mileage program that was before.
There is a city bus running around Sydney ATM 'wrapped' with 'all over advertising' spruiking Hawaiian Airlines with two free checked bags 32kg (70lbs) - it certainly got my attention.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 9:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by fly18725
United didn't leak anything to me. A stock pusher at Seeking Alpha started a rumor and United is responding to inquires.

As I said above, every airline looks at every airplane. That's the job of the sales and marketing teams at Airbus and Boeing. It's also good to know how different airplanes perform, particularly if your competitors operate it.

I think this is a silly rumor blown way out of proportion. Everyone I've talked to in the industry laughs this off.
For once, you and I are in total agreement.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by Longboater
but even SQ deferred delivery of 5 of their 24 A380s on order.
Thats not quite true. They ordered 19 A380's. They later ordered an additional 5 to replace the first 5 delivered from the first batch.
Old Jun 4, 2015, 4:04 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold Choice Gold Wyndham Platinum IHG Platinum Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by FN-GM
Thats not quite true. They ordered 19 A380's. They later ordered an additional 5 to replace the first 5 delivered from the first batch.
Oops, my mistake. Well it looks like only EK will have more than 20 A380s in their fleet.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 8:17 am

Programs: 3.2MM AA, 1.4MM UA,StwdLftPlt
Originally Posted by FN-GM
Somewhat OT, but out of curiosity, SQ has already cut loose the first 5 A380s from their fleet? I know SQ pursues a bold fleet renewal strategy, but that seems really aggressive. The airframes are right arnd 10 years old, correct? If so, where did the planes end up?
Old Jun 5, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: SQ & QF
Originally Posted by luckypierre
Somewhat OT, but out of curiosity, SQ has already cut loose the first 5 A380s from their fleet? I know SQ pursues a bold fleet renewal strategy, but that seems really aggressive. The airframes are right arnd 10 years old, correct? If so, where did the planes end up?
They haven't replaced them just yet. They will be doing in 2018. The first 5 A380's are heavier i believe so not as efficient as the rest.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.