Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Rumor: UA may buy A380 {UA CFO says "just doesnt really work for us"}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: UA may buy A380 {UA CFO says "just doesnt really work for us"}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Perhaps there's a typo in the first posting and it should be "A 380" which will randomly show up for itins like ORD-MKE.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Originally Posted by LETTERBOY
Better chance of that than UA buying the A380 (but still not all that great).

Only way the A380 makes sense for UA would be if they were desperate to get a boat-load of pax into a slot-controlled airport (LHR, NRT). And even then they could probably do it without the A380.
Pardon me for being totally dense, but why does UA run 3x 763 to ORD-LHR, given the capacity controls in place there? Seems smarter to run 2 of something bigger.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:11 pm

My first thought is if UAL wanted this news out there. Did they purposely leak it?

Second though, UAL could theoretically use A380 on some routes out of SFO, and actually fill them up, albeit that's still season-dependant to an extent. Thus, they'd have to get the deal of the century, which I'm not sure is actually that far out of the question.

This rumor would make a lot more sense to me if UAL was simply negotiating to take on some of the used MH A380s, but Airbus has incentive to dump the birds that were destined for Japan.

Very exciting nonetheless, and yes, I have to wonder if they'd consider keeping the United First cabin, since they would suddenly be operating their flagship routes (SFO-Asia/Heatheow/Frankfurt) with a world-class flagship airplane.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
Pardon me for being totally dense, but why does UA run 3x 763 to ORD-LHR, given the capacity controls in place there? Seems smarter to run 2 of something bigger.
Slots at LHR are like gold, If UA switched to 2 and stopped using a slot that could lose it. And does 2 of anything UA has that is bigger have equal amount of seats as 3 of the 763? If they are filling the 3 why lower capacity and take the chance of losing a slot.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by spin88
It is hard to see how UA can fill the thing. UA will not have first class (that is a given)
Why is this a given? The A380 could give a new flagship GF.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
Revenue - some people need to be in LHR early, some people need to be in ORD late, and some people like the middle schedule. IAH has the same situation, up from 2x/daily in the PMCO era.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:32 pm

Programs: UA *G 1MM LT United Club & Global Entry
Originally Posted by N830MH
Rumor! Rumor! Rumor!!!

UA may buy A380 by ex-Skymark. I think UA will take 8 or 10 A380.

Let the speculation begin.
Never ever ever ever ever ever gonna happen.

SunLover
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA LT Gold, American Kettle, Hertz #1 Presidents Circle, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by fgirard
Bolding Mine.

But, according to the JV with UA and LH, there is plenty of lift, especially on routes where LH deploys the A380, like LAX and SFO as well as the 748s, IAD, ORD.
LH already runs an A380 out IAH->FRA too.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:37 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, Hilton HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by BearX220
Yup, this whole thing is an airliners.net fantasy... where they debate the wisdom of mergers based on how the livery might look... the A380 has no chance at UA.
Reminds me of this (now locked) thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...speculate.html
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:39 pm
TA

Programs: UA 1K MM
If people going to LHR value the specific departure time of the flight, and are inflexible, they are going to pay up the wazoo for it, regardless of how big the plane is.

So if UA consolidates the departures into 2 bigger planes, it may not fill as much of them with high value fliers, and the total revenue from those departures will not be as good as if they kept 3 flights.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 5:45 pm

Programs: United 100K, Etihad Gold, Marriot Platinum, Hilton Gold
I know everytime we go from ORD to Fra on LH on the 748i it is close to sold out, so if luftansa can get it to work why can't UA?

The route I think they could do an A380 on is ORD to Shanghai.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA 3K UGS 3MM
Originally Posted by spin88
What happened with the 77W is that United bought to DOWNSIZE current 747 routes - in a hurry, not waiting for the A350s - as it shrinks. NO way the now turn around and upsize them.
Really? Aren't they all going to EWR, where there are no 747 routes? Pretty sure we're going to see them on routes like EWR-DEL/BOM/HKG.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 6:44 pm

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
How will united slice the A380 in half during off peak?
Old Jun 1, 2015, 6:46 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Originally Posted by kevanyalowitz
Really? Aren't they all going to EWR, where there are no 747 routes? Pretty sure we're going to see them on routes like EWR-DEL/BOM/HKG.
Yup... At first glance it seemed that the 77W would make a good quick-fix 747 replacement, but every indication I've seen or heard is that the 77W will be a 77E upgauge, with a similar seat count to current 744s, albeit in two-cabin configuration. Perhaps more importantly, it seems that UA is no longer rushing to retire the 747 ^.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 6:58 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Platinum/LT Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by steveo
I know everytime we go from ORD to Fra on LH on the 748i it is close to sold out, so if luftansa can get it to work why can't UA?
But remember the LH flight is sharing revenue with UA. They don't want to take passengers away from this flight, especially by adding equipment and fuel cost by using their own plane. Unless I'm not thinking about the JV correctly, the demand would have to be greater than the capacity of UA + LH on this route to justify an upgauge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.