Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Rumor: UA may buy A380 {UA CFO says "just doesnt really work for us"}

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rumor: UA may buy A380 {UA CFO says "just doesnt really work for us"}

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2015, 1:22 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by N830MH
Rumor! Rumor! Rumor!!!
Looks like this is a hot topic at airliners.net this morning with someone saying he has a corporate contract he's getting info from. Is that where you saw it?

Another New A380 Operator Rumor....

Negotiations are ongoing, and if successful, will be announced this summer (June/July/August).
Old Jun 1, 2015, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by tom911
Looks like this is a hot topic at airliners.net this morning...
Yup, this whole thing is an airliners.net fantasy... where they debate the wisdom of mergers based on how the livery might look... the A380 has no chance at UA.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
They say: Never say never....i'm saying UA NEVER operates the A380!

What UA route is heavy enough to justify that plane but short enough to be operated with two air frames? Exactly.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 1:38 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Wild rumor... but maybe there is some juice to it?

Realistically, any A380s would be SFO-based, with somewhat limited application, perhaps SFO-HKG/PEK/LHR/FRA. Maybe SFO-PVG if UA decides to scrap the 2nd frequency due to ongoing slot allocation trouble. The question remains, however, whether an oddball type and engine comprised of 6-10 frames makes any kind of economic sense whatsover... they'd have to come really cheap. In fact, it would have to almost mirror the placement of the first A300s of the early 80s, whereby Airbus essentially paid EA to operate a few A300B2s on the Air Shuttle and some other routes for a few months as a way to get the airplane in the market. It was a political win for Airbus, but they also scored a major coup when EA was actually so impressed with the performance of the airplane that they decided to place an order for new builds.

I doubt history repeats itself, but one never knows...
Old Jun 1, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
I'm imagining you could get the Skymark birds really cheap -- and the MH ones pretty cheaply too.

But in addition you'd have the costs of outfitting. Oh, forgot we're talking United -- can just go to Victorville and strip fittings from the carcasses there.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA, TSA-Pre, Global Entry
Originally Posted by Madone59
They say: Never say never....i'm saying UA NEVER operates the A380!

What UA route is heavy enough to justify that plane but short enough to be operated with two air frames? Exactly.
SFO-FRA (currently 2x 747 daily flights I believe)
SFO-HKG

I only fly a handful of routes, but both of these are loaded with elites and (at times) I end up in row 50+ even when I purchase a ticket 4-6 days in advance.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
Rumor: UA may buy A380

Ha ha ha. Checking to see what month this is.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by enviroian
Ha ha ha. Checking to see what month this is.
It's gotta be April 1 somewhere....
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:08 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium Elite, UA Silver, AA Gold
I'd be cool with a few A380s flying around in the US for UA.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:17 pm

Programs: Former 1K turned UA Kettle
Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ
Until they announced it was a 700 seat all Y config
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by SPLITTERZ
I'd agree with that. I was hoping to get A380 sooner or later.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
If UA can get them at half price from MH (under warranty), then it makes sense. Buying new ones from Airbus doesn't since most airlines operating the planes are unhappy with their performance. UA does need to replace its aging 744s across the Pacific and cancelling some 787s for 77Ws suggests it feels transPac loads are looking to be larger than anticipated a few years ago. May also hint at UA shutting down another hub and consolidating transPac flights out of the remaining one. (Might as well escalate the speculation.)
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by Shareholder
If UA can get them at half price from MH (under warranty), then it makes sense.
The disproportionate cost of supporting a very small incompatible subfleet would swamp any discount off MSRP.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:28 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K: PlAAtinum; DL SM, MM; Marriott Gold; CO Plat Emeritus; NW Plat Emeritus
Originally Posted by UTex09
Until they announced it was a 700 seat all Y config
Holds 840 all-economy. Air Austral ordered (then cancelled) that.

Jeffie will board it with one gate agent.
Old Jun 1, 2015, 2:29 pm

Programs: UA GS 1.7MM, AA 2.1MM, EK, BA, SQ, CX, Marriot LT, Accor P
Originally Posted by Shareholder
If UA can get them at half price from MH (under warranty), then it makes sense. Buying new ones from Airbus doesn't since most airlines operating the planes are unhappy with their performance.
This is very true - especially for the other operators, and especially Emirates. Emirates essentially gave Airbus an ultimatum - make them more efficient or we buy more 777's (Emirates is already the worlds largest operator of both planes)....

To be honest, I can't really see UA getting into the 380 - there are certainly UA routes that could in theory support the plane, but that doesn't mean it is the right thing to do economically.

IMO UA is fine with this getting out - it gives them more leverage with Boeing...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.