Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Security line/PreCheck/Premier Access locations/wait times/issues [CONSOLIDATED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR Security line/PreCheck/Premier Access locations/wait times/issues [CONSOLIDATED]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
For my EWR departure this morning, I did security in A then took the shuttle to C. A has the "Pre-lite" so you have to take out computer and liquids. No line at all though at approx. 8 a.m. Entire process, including transfer to C, took 15-20 minutes. Pretty low stress.

Update: I heard from other pax that C was a nightmare.

Last edited by Kacee; Mar 7, 2016 at 7:34 am
Old Mar 7, 2016, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K 1MM; Marriott LT Titanium; Amex MR; Chase UR; Hertz PC; Global Entry
I still don't understand why they do pre-check "lite" at the A gates. There is enough traffic and number of lines to have full pre-check.

Last edited by goodeats21; Mar 7, 2016 at 12:11 pm Reason: typo
Old Mar 7, 2016, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I still don't understand why the do pre-check "lite" at the A gates. There is enough traffic and number of lines to have full pre-check.
This is EWR we're talking about. Nothing there is logical.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 9:39 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
actually, they are capable of doing full precheck at terminal A, although i don't believe there is a schedule you can count on.... i started to remove my laptop on a recent departure and was told not to... as it was full precheck.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 9:44 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Kacee
You must fly exclusively at low traffic departure times. Because my only EWR departure so far this year there were at least 200 people in the Pre line.
monday mornings, typically from 8 -10 AM, so i wouldn't really classify that as low traffic departure times.
Old Mar 7, 2016, 9:55 pm

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
Hope passengers will take note that NJTransit is expected to strike this weekend. I envision a lot of late arriving passengers (by other means or more congested traffic outside the terminals, etc.) thereby compounding the mess inside.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 12:19 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus, DL SkyMiles, HHonors (Gold)
I was at Terminal C Monday morning. At 6 a.m., the line for the C1 checkpoint ran the entire length of Terminal C on the check-in level. The line for C3 was much shorter, but seemed to be much slower. Over at C2 (which was being used for people in wheelchairs and parents with children in strollers), the line was extremely short, but very slow moving as they were only using one screening machine.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:20 am
formerly fkhatibloo

Programs: United 1K & 1MM, Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold, Omni Select
Two months ago, I got to EWR 90 minutes before my domestic flight (not, mind you, by choice) and missed it as a result of the absurd and atrociously managed lines. There were six of us in the same boat, and the asshat blue coats wouldn't even look at boarding passes to triage folks.

When I got to the gate, the UA agent (a lovely woman) implored me to write to TSA. She said, "we have no control, but you do. DOT makes us take care of you when we screw up, but doesn't hold the TSA equally accountable."

You could really tell she'd had it up to here.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 7:51 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by GSBEWR
I was at Terminal C Monday morning. At 6 a.m., the line for the C1 checkpoint ran the entire length of Terminal C on the check-in level. The line for C3 was much shorter, but seemed to be much slower. Over at C2 (which was being used for people in wheelchairs and parents with children in strollers), the line was extremely short, but very slow moving as they were only using one screening machine.
I spoke with some pax in line during boarding of my 10 a.m. ps flight yesterday. One gentleman said he had been sent to the C2 wheelchair line because the other lines were overcapacity. He said it was extremely slow - 45 minutes to clear.

I would definitely recommend the A=>C option.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:43 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Tuesday morning report:

Arrived at C-3 - Precheck line; 5:56am.
Retrieved bag from X-Ray machine - 6:01am.

C-3 was only open for FastTrack & PreCheck. Had 3 x-rays/magnetometers going for Pre - one was borrowed from the FastTrack "side" of the wall.

Can't complain much about that... worked out fine for me.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott LTPP, Hertz Five Star
Originally Posted by goodeats21
I still don't understand why they do pre-check "lite" at the A gates. There is enough traffic and number of lines to have full pre-check.
The TSA and their "metrics" are baffling. I went through MLI frequently at one point for Thursday afternoon/evening flights and the TSO's told me that there isn't enough people going through the checkpoint to justify running the second luggage scanner for full precheck (they give "lite").

At any given time there's
One person at the scanning podium
One person at one of the scanners
Two officers (one per gender) past the MMW for secondary screening if it goes off
One standing in front of the metal detector for PreCheck lite.

There's often more TSO's beyond security, but apparently they can't operate the scanner past 10am...for some reason.

To be fair with PreCheck lite it's easier and the line is rarely long at MLI (smaller airport) but it's baffling to have the capacity to offer full precheck and not do it. Moreso when the lines get crazy long.

(When I first started flying United to IAH from PHL, I went on a 5:25AM deparature at one point, meaning entering security before 5AM. Line is quite long, 15+ minutes to clear...but they don't offer Precheck before 5AM :? )
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:22 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
If one is traveling on a Friday evening TATA flight and want to avoid the long lines in Terminal C, would one be able to check in for one's flight (no checked bags) in terminal A in order to use the presumably shorter security lines over there?
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:33 am

Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
If one is traveling on a Friday evening TATA flight and want to avoid the long lines in Terminal C, would one be able to check in for one's flight (no checked bags) in terminal A in order to use the presumably shorter security lines over there?
You should be able to check-in online. They do the final document check at the gate.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by Kacee
You should be able to check-in online. They do the final document check at the gate.
We'll see. Final destination is IST. Last time I couldn't check in online or at the kiosk without agent intervention to check travel documents.
Old Mar 8, 2016, 10:42 am

Originally Posted by rittenhousesq
We'll see. Final destination is IST. Last time I couldn't check in online or at the kiosk without agent intervention to check travel documents.
Thanks for clarifying. I thought it was an all-UA itinerary. Add partners, and yes, all bets are off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.