Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Security line/PreCheck/Premier Access locations/wait times/issues [CONSOLIDATED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR Security line/PreCheck/Premier Access locations/wait times/issues [CONSOLIDATED]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2016, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
Yes no additional 'flights' in total, but the cuts may have been to regional jet operations, which can have a double effect - more pax, and more in Terminal C vs A.

So from a total Terminal C perspective it's more than the difference between a 738 and a 757.

Also consider about half those PS frequencies are the dense 16J sCO 757s.

Will be interesting when the April/May ramp up to more frequent PS service hits again. End of this month could shape up to be a disaster with Spring Break.
As I mentioned above, A has been a total breeze for the past few weeks. I've walked right up to ID check, and have only had 10 or so people in front of me once past. Additionally, only the immediate lane has needed to be open- the far right has been held for wheelchair or crew. This would gel with your theory above...
Old Mar 11, 2016, 4:22 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Yes no additional 'flights' in total, but the cuts may have been to regional jet operations, which can have a double effect - more pax, and more in Terminal C vs A.

So from a total Terminal C perspective it's more than the difference between a 738 and a 757.

Also consider about half those PS frequencies are the dense 16J sCO 757s.

Will be interesting when the April/May ramp up to more frequent PS service hits again. End of this month could shape up to be a disaster with Spring Break.
Even the 16J 757s have fewer seats than a 739, and only 15 more seats than a 738.

Looking at Innovata data it appears in March 2015 there were 265,104 UA (and UA Express) seats a week scheduled to depart EWR C, and in March 2016 there are 276,464, for an increase of 4%. At EWR A it's dropped from 38,900 to 35,850. So C is getting busier, but far from 40% busier (even if load factors are increasing).
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kacee
I definitely noticed the slower process at SFO, but it doesn't seem to be having the same overall effect on the lines there.

The problems seem fairly localized. I understand that MSP for example has been a disaster.
At the risk of going off topic, today SFO was operating one body scanner in the int'l terminal in the middle of the afternoon. Lines were backing up very quickly. It looked like there were a lot of staff around, so I'm not sure if they failed to anticipate the load or had some other MO.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 6:49 pm
Marriott 5+ Badge

Programs: Delta Diamond, Bonvoy something good; sometimes other things too
Originally Posted by fumje
At the risk of going off topic, today SFO was operating one body scanner in the int'l terminal in the middle of the afternoon. Lines were backing up very quickly. It looked like there were a lot of staff around, so I'm not sure if they failed to anticipate the load or had some other MO.
To the extent the recent delays are due to TSA staffing problems, SFO should be unaffected since SFO uses private security contractors, not the TSA -- the same thing a few other airports have threatened to do due to the recent problems with TSA screening.

If the private contractors at SFO have started to step up the rigor of their screening due to concerns about being too lax, as the TSA supposedly has, they might slow down too, though.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:38 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Originally Posted by bgriff
Even the 16J 757s have fewer seats than a 739, and only 15 more seats than a 738.

Looking at Innovata data it appears in March 2015 there were 265,104 UA (and UA Express) seats a week scheduled to depart EWR C, and in March 2016 there are 276,464, for an increase of 4%. At EWR A it's dropped from 38,900 to 35,850. So C is getting busier, but far from 40% busier (even if load factors are increasing).
Is it possible to separate connecting pax in the data? Obviously a big number of flights out of EWR would be connections. On the other hand, pax are likely originating in EWR for ps flights.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by bgriff

Those numbers explain some of what's going on. It doesn't take a huge percentage increase in flyers in a terminal to cause the lines to blow out.
Old Mar 11, 2016, 9:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Life Plat, various others of little note
Originally Posted by goodeats21
Quote:

MSP and ATL have been bad.

Interesting comment from a TSA officer in that article

"
Jewell B Gonzalez
Not once, have they mentioned the one and simple fact. We dont have proper staffing, why?

Because a few months ago United moved all of there flights from JFK and made EWR their primary hub, increasing our flight load by 40%. Most of those flights all push around the exact same time

I get what they are saying overall, but I would hard pressed to believe the JFK switch added 40% load to EWR screening.
It's nonsense. All that jfk had was ps. Maybe 25 or so outbound 757s per day, spread out pretty evenly. That's a drop in the bucket of ua operations at ewr.

As usual tsa pointing fingers in all direction for their own incompetence.
Old Mar 12, 2016, 11:02 am

Programs: UA 1K
Anyone notice changes last few days? Are the changes- noted above in the utilization of C3 primarily for pre, and C2 and C1 split between premier and regulars- sticking? If so, any change in wait time? Have 6 C trips over next 3 weeks, and dreading...
Old Mar 12, 2016, 11:17 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by gold23
Anyone notice changes last few days? Are the changes- noted above in the utilization of C3 primarily for pre, and C2 and C1 split between premier and regulars- sticking? If so, any change in wait time? Have 6 C trips over next 3 weeks, and dreading...
There are definitely changes happening, and quickly. (Well, quickly in PANYNJ time, anyway.)

When I flew out on Tuesday, Precheck was still thru C-1 but used 2 magnetometers and xray's.

When I got back last night, it looks like something moved to C-2 (not just wheelchairs) and there's construction at C-1. The exit via C-1 is closed and in fact is now drywall.

Can't wait to see this all done - should be a huge improvement.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
check in the night before to save time?

So in trying to figure out a strategy for my flying partner being able to make our 7 PM EWR-ZRH flight on Friday considering the long security wait times of recent weeks, I was wondering how early can he check in and get his boarding passes at the airport.
It is doubtful he will be able to check in online since we have a connecting flight on LX to IST. Normally, you can check in online 24 hours before a flight departs, does the same hold true for airport check in?
Could he go to EWR after 7 PM on Thursday evening and get his boarding passes for the next day flight and then just use the A terminal security on Friday?
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:46 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G / Marriott PE / Expedia Gold+ / Hertz PC
Why can't he just check in online and print the BP at home or just go to a kiosk the day of the flight and print them?
I flew EWR-ZRH-IST just fine.
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA; Amtrak Select Plus;HH Diamond;Hyatt Disc;Hertz PC; Total Wine Grand Reserve!
Originally Posted by JVPhoto
Why can't he just check in online and print the BP at home or just go to a kiosk the day of the flight and print them?
I flew EWR-ZRH-IST just fine.
We'll see: He is a US green card holder with a Taiwanese passport. Even for me, (regular US passport), last time I flew to IST (EWR-FRA-IST) I couldn't check in online - needed to have visa info confirmed by an agent. We are just worried about him missing the flight since he will be coming from his work in Jersey City during rush hour.

Of course he will try to check in online and hopefully that will work. My question was if it doesn't can he go to the airport the night before (he lives pretty close by).
Old Mar 13, 2016, 9:57 am

Anyone fly out early morning? I'm on United 6:30A this Fri. to troncones mexico thru Houston. Hoping it's before crazyness. Thanks
Old Mar 13, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
What do folks think of a Tuesday 12:45 PM departure? Flying EWR-NRT soon, and while my wife, myself, and my mom all have PreCheck, my wife's parents do not, so we will probably take have to take the regular Premier Access lane (as we are all flying in J). Will ~10:30 AM be good enough?
Old Mar 13, 2016, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
What do folks think of a Tuesday 12:45 PM departure? Flying EWR-NRT soon, and while my wife, myself, and my mom all have PreCheck, my wife's parents do not, so we will probably take have to take the regular Premier Access lane (as we are all flying in J). Will ~10:30 AM be good enough?
10:30 should be plenty. I'd say 11 is still fine.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.