Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Security line/PreCheck/Premier Access locations/wait times/issues [CONSOLIDATED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR Security line/PreCheck/Premier Access locations/wait times/issues [CONSOLIDATED]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Does this mean that United is indeed in charge of the C-2 Terminal mess? Or is the TSA actually in charge of determining which checkpoint is staffed for what purpose?
TSA is responsible for the experience after you first encounter an ID checker wearing a TSA uniform (I say this because the notorious red coats often consider themselves to be ID checkers). Anything before that first encounter w/ a TSA agent is squarely on the airport, the Port Authority, and UA...not necessarily in that order.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:52 am

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Has anyone seen a timeline on when the redesigned single C-Terminal security checkpoint is supposed to be complete?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:10 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
GS do not get to use C2. But they are sent to the front of the TSA precheck line.

Also, if I remember correctly, only one of the checkpoints has ever had precheck. So I'm somewhat mystified at the length of the precheck line that extends to a holding pen downstairs and a long snaking line leading to the holding. Surely C2 closing has no effect on the precheck line?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 11:29 am

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by c1mth0g
GS do not get to use C2. But they are sent to the front of the TSA precheck line.

Also, if I remember correctly, only one of the checkpoints has ever had precheck. So I'm somewhat mystified at the length of the precheck line that extends to a holding pen downstairs and a long snaking line leading to the holding. Surely C2 closing has no effect on the precheck line?
C1 used to have precheck too.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
As someone who flies out of EWR most weeks, but alternately between UA and AA - I agree that the checkpoints have been worsening for a while, and yet have been dramatically worse recently. This is not limited to the UA C checkpoints; the AA/VX Terminal (A-3) never seems to have Precheck anymore and priority lines are 30+ minute endeavors. TSA randomly opens and closes the screening lines there.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 12:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I just went through pre at SFO and despite only four or five people in line, it took (seemingly) forever. Both the bp checker and the guy manning the baggage screener appeared to be brain-damaged. Note these are Covenant personnel, not TSA, but still I'm wondering if there's been some coordinated slowdown?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 12:32 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
The Port Authority has very little say in the day to day operation of Terminal C.

If the C-2 checkpoint issue has nothing to do with TSA (in other words, if the 4-5 screening lanes are indeed "fully staffed") then is is a United issue. Full stop.

Of course I am relying on the assumption that TSA has enough (or the same) manpower to staff the screening lanes in the same manner as before late 2015. That may not be the case in reality.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 4:07 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by EWR764
The Port Authority has very little say in the day to day operation of Terminal C.

If the C-2 checkpoint issue has nothing to do with TSA (in other words, if the 4-5 screening lanes are indeed "fully staffed") then is is a United issue. Full stop.

Of course I am relying on the assumption that TSA has enough (or the same) manpower to staff the screening lanes in the same manner as before late 2015. That may not be the case in reality.
The solution here, at least temporarily should be:

C2 reserved for pre-check, wheelchairs and GS
C1 and C3 are redesigned with new laneways to differentiate Premier Access from general passengers

or

I would even consider making the checkpoint closest to PA check-in (I think this is closest to the new terminal arm) exclusive to Premier Access customers, and moving all other non priority/pre customers over to the remaining checkpoint....I would think this could even out the load somewhat given the high number of PA customers at EWR....but only if the checkpoints are staffed properly for the load.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 6:30 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
I just don't understand why ANYONE would choose EWR unless they live close by!!! At what point does collecting miles on one of the worst airlines around become worth it. After 24 years as a 1K, this year I have not taken one single UA flight. My last flight w them was end of Dec & I was amazed people would put up with these TSA lines. That was the end of UA for me. This year I've been flying EK, SQ and ETIHAD for international (and Virgin for my one domestic R/T) and I have not had one bad experience on the ground or in the air. UA miles are worth nothing, the Elite program is a joke so why would anyone put up with being treated like this?
Old Mar 5, 2016, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by chinatraderjmr
I just don't understand why ANYONE would choose EWR unless they live close by!!! At what point does collecting miles on one of the worst airlines around become worth it. After 24 years as a 1K, this year I have not taken one single UA flight. My last flight w them was end of Dec & I was amazed people would put up with these TSA lines. That was the end of UA for me. This year I've been flying EK, SQ and ETIHAD for international (and Virgin for my one domestic R/T) and I have not had one bad experience on the ground or in the air. UA miles are worth nothing, the Elite program is a joke so why would anyone put up with being treated like this?
I'm a domestic road warrior, who lives about 25 miles from EWR. There are no other realistic options.

And to be perfectly frank, who cares? The other domestics aren't appreciably any better or worse. Honestly, United has treated me and my family quite well. No complaints from me.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 2:06 pm

Programs: AA Platinum (Lifetime), United GS, HHonors Diamond, Shangri-la Diamond, Marriott Platinum
i live on the west side of manhattan, not far from the lincoln tunnel and EWR is more convenient than LGA or JFK for me. i depart from EWR anywhere from 4 -6 times a month. but i have never really experienced the hellish nightmare that others describe.

i'm 100% TSA PRE since becoming global entry, and for the past couple of months i've been GS, so i now use the "magic door," but thinking back to last year... sometimes there were as many as ten or fifteen people in the TSA PRE line, but it always moved smoothly. as a 1K, i simply never experienced the utter horror and incompetence that is depicted in this thread. it's entirely possible that things have deteriorated rapidly in the past two months, but as i go through the magic door and go to the head of the TSA PRE line, i do always glance back... and i don't see more than ten or fifteen people at the busiest of times.

the real horror for me at EWR is the OTGentrification and homogenization of the stores and food concessions beyond security: ridiculous prices, non-functioning iPads and very little differentiation among the products and services offered at each "unique" location.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 2:31 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by UK Stages
i do always glance back... and i don't see more than ten or fifteen people at the busiest of times.
You must fly exclusively at low traffic departure times. Because my only EWR departure so far this year there were at least 200 people in the Pre line.
Old Mar 5, 2016, 2:42 pm

I also haven't experienced these hellish lines in Precheck, but I'm assuming I'm not traveling at peak times. Out of curiosity and for future reference and planning, when are the peak times for EWR?
Old Mar 5, 2016, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by fiddlestickies
I also haven't experienced these hellish lines in Precheck, but I'm assuming I'm not traveling at peak times. Out of curiosity and for future reference and planning, when are the peak times for EWR?
I was there early afternoon after an international flight and it was a very long line
Old Mar 5, 2016, 4:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Friday 12 pm, no line, didn't remotely resemble EWR to me. But as I walked out of the airport at 4pm today, chaos. The wheelchair thing has me burned, they only use one lane and there are two closed lanes. Why just why. Its absolutely absurd.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.