Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Security line/PreCheck/Premier Access locations/wait times/issues [CONSOLIDATED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR Security line/PreCheck/Premier Access locations/wait times/issues [CONSOLIDATED]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2016, 7:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by zerolife
Even if it wasn't their decision, they can put the pressure in the airport.
Pressure on the Port Authority?

You're kidding, right?!

The PANYNJ does what they want, when they want, how they want, with whom they want, for as long as they want. Period, end of story.

About the only way United would get "results" is with baseball bats.

Well that, or to run a flight to Columbia SC.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 10:45 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, *G, etc.
Originally Posted by PushingTin
Down?
exactly. ^
Old Mar 2, 2016, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by Bonehead
Anyone equating this apparent nightmare at EWR to Pre at DEN (which a couple of posts have) is flat wrong. Monday morning I arrived with maybe 40 people in the Pre line (south checkpoint) and noted that there were three TSA agents checking IDs!! I was through in under 5 minutes.
It used to be much worse although it still has its days. Unlike EWR, other airports like DEN and ATL actually care about things like long wait times and try to get them resolved in a reasonable amount of time (one way or another).
Old Mar 2, 2016, 6:04 am

Programs: EK-IO, UA-1K2MM, ETIHAD-GOLD, SPG-PLAT LIFETIME, JUMEIRAH SERIUS GOLD
Another reason to avoid EWR,s UA terminals at all costs ....... Staffing cuts? I don't find this problem flying LH out of EWR but since my last flight & mob scene w UA, (back in Nov), I refuse to go anywhere near a UA flight out of EWR
Old Mar 2, 2016, 9:02 am

Just another random data point here...

Arrived at EWR today at 9:18 a.m. The security checkpoint at C2 was indeed for those with wheelchairs only. The security checkpoint at C3 was pretty much empty and I made it through the PreCheck line in about five minutes.

I realize that I arrived after the morning rush was gone and before the afternoon crowd started piling in so that may have affected my clearance time.

I do not fly enough out of EWR to be able to confidently make a statement about the general state of the airport or its security lines.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K/*G, Avis Pres, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TarcanusFrostbourne
I do not fly enough out of EWR to be able to confidently make a statement about the general state of the airport or its security lines.
I do, and usually make it through PreCheck in 5-10 minutes. Hasn't been much of an issue; I do about 40-50 departures yearly from EWR (and another 40-50 arrivals) ...
Old Mar 2, 2016, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by bocastephen
That sounds like Jeff-speak, not Oscar-speak - hopefully in this new environment of actual improvements, this is on the list.
glad you are more optimistic than me. in this era of cheap oil, high profits, and non-existent competition, i don't foresee truly meaningful enhancements to the customer experience. sure, they are giving us stroopwafels and a free drink here and there, but look somewhere else and you can find other cuts or reductions in benefits.

call me a pessimist, but i honestly expect UA to do nothing about this until they see people actively avoiding them at EWR -- which of course, isn't even possible since they control 80% of the traffic at the airport. so, it will just continue.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 10:59 am
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
I wonder if anyone has ever been tempted to try the $20 trick on the guy guarding the GS entrance at C-2? I walk by coming off the Air Train every time...
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Another day in paradise... and it's only 2:30 on a Wednesday!

Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:40 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
Originally Posted by Ted
I wonder if anyone has ever been tempted to try the $20 trick on the guy guarding the GS entrance at C-2? I walk by coming off the Air Train every time...
Well, I am allowed to use that entrance. What would you do once you enter the GS reception lobby and have to produce ID?
Old Mar 2, 2016, 12:57 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Another data point from this afternoon. Everyone arriving at C3 who was either Pre or PA was being sent down one level to queue. The pre line at that point was a couple of hundred long waiting to be allowed back upstsirs. The PA line had only 20-30 downstairs.
I joined the PA line but noticed that both pre and PA were being filtered to the same escalator to go back up to the security gate level. The blue coats up there had no idea what queue I gad come from and directed me to pre. Took about 20 minutes to get through security.

Rather surprised that my traveling companion also got pre check mind. That's a first for me.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 1:39 pm

Also there last night and this afternoon...
Zero issue around 7 last night. No lines.

Around 130 today could see the tide turning.

Basically an an agent at the escalator coming from downstairs will shout at the downstairs agent to bring a "pre" group or "economy" group. Then that herd goes to the pre agent.

If you're really in a pinch...enter the precheck level from the upper escalator.

The agent will say "go downstairs"

But the down escalator is too far for her to spot.

And you could hang out by the balcony there and wait for the scrum of a pre group to come up the escalator and tag the back.

Yes you are cutting if a line is downstairs.

But can shave 20 minutes in a dire situation.

There were some local United management types taking notes and documenting the situation.

The United manager said Airtrain to A and clearing there is rarely more than 10 min wait. A lousy situation but I tried it and all in took 20 min with the bus back though stopped in the A lounge.

And they held my flight 10 min past departure today to wait for pax stuck in the TSA lines.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by cerealmarketer
And they held my flight 10 min past departure today to wait for pax stuck in the TSA lines.
this is the point where UA will start taking notice, or maybe just padding the flight schedules that much more.
Old Mar 2, 2016, 2:41 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
My friend Kolmogorov is still chafing at the thread title....sailed through the GS line EZPZ and waved for the photo..
Old Mar 2, 2016, 3:39 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Originally Posted by meducate
Well, I am allowed to use that entrance. What would you do once you enter the GS reception lobby and have to produce ID?
Go back and get $10 change from the first guy?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.