Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Security line/PreCheck/Premier Access locations/wait times/issues [CONSOLIDATED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR Security line/PreCheck/Premier Access locations/wait times/issues [CONSOLIDATED]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2016, 6:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM
Originally Posted by bldr1k
If C2 is only wheelchairs where does the GS checkin take you?
I believe GS check-in is still at C2 (but takes you through to C3).
Old Feb 27, 2016, 9:00 pm

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Have you been through MSP in the last two weeks or so? The lines stretch the length of the terminal, blocking access and even preventing passengers from seeing the signs for the elite and PreCheck lines, which sometimes have been reported to be almost as bad as the regular lines. The mess have been consistency reported in the local news, with the airport now telling everyone to arrive at least two hours early for ordinary domestic flights. There's no end in sight!
Agree that MSP was a total mess earlier this month; but I was there on Sunday night (Feb 21), and the brand-new North security entrance was now open, and it was a piece of cake.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 11:33 pm

May be I should be thanking my lucky stars that my INTL to Domestic connection is 5 hours?

Was going to venture into the NYC, but maybe not.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 5:01 am

Didn't have to open the thread. Knew it should have been EWR.

Fly here Atleast biweekly. Worst airport for several reasons including the one you listed OP
Old Feb 28, 2016, 10:55 am

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Platinum, UA Million Miler
I'm waiting on line for Pre as I type. It's 1pm on a Sunday and have been waiting 20 mins witn easily another 20 to go
Old Feb 28, 2016, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
And here is what I received from United after specifically asking if they could twist an arm or two at EWR:

Security can be a doozy to get through. We agree, GuyverII! Security is operated by TSA and they are a separate entity.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by GuyverII
And here is what I received from United after specifically asking if they could twist an arm or two at EWR:

Security can be a doozy to get through. We agree, GuyverII! Security is operated by TSA and they are a separate entity.
Be more specific. The problem is ServAir restricting C2 to wheelchairs. That is something UA can influence.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
Be more specific. The problem is ServAir restricting C2 to wheelchairs. That is something UA can influence.
That was the response I received when I tweeted about C2 for wheelchairs. Just another canned answer.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 3:15 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by narvik
I believe GS check-in is still at C2 (but takes you through to C3).
Correct. You enter the GS lobby at the left end of C2, and then enter the front of the line from the right end of C3.
Old Feb 28, 2016, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by EWR764
I understand it is due to TSA staffing issues, but this problem has been going on for months. The Precheck line typically extends down into the midlevel and there is just a mass of humanity there with people walking around without a clue as to where to go.

It's really, really bad. United's blue-jacketed contractors in that area (Airway, I believe) are rude and have no information to assist customers. They are not TSA staff.

The TSA staffing problems (your tax dollars and 9/11 fees hard at work!!) resulting in closed checkpoints at peak travel times are beyond United's control, but United needs to do a better job informing customers and their contractors about this now-routine charlie foxtrot.

In the meantime I strongly recommend adding an extra 20-30 minutes to your usual practice to clear security in Terminal C at peak hours.
This happened about a month ago. The man's flight had started to board and he was panicking. He asked people if he could get in front of them. Everyone had no problem except the TSA folks. This was in C1. As he was going forward, some very belligerent TSA guys told the guy he couldn't but people and made him go back to the end of the line. It's almost like they got off on this poor man's misery. I wish I would have recorded it. It would have gone viral. The TSA and non-TSA staff at EWR is a joke and in many instances just downright rude.

Originally Posted by cfischer
UA needs to fix this. The TSA situation @ EWR is appalling. 2 weeks ago I almost missed my flight because of this.
The TSA folks at EWR are the worst. The most unprofessional agents I have ever come across... and they get AWAY with it.

Originally Posted by goldelite8
I flew out of EWR on Thursday and had not seen such madness in my many years of frequent flying. I had Premier Access and TSA Pre and opted to just go for the Economy line, as it was the quickest (still about 40 min). They shut down C2 and it should be noted that C3 literally had one lane open for ALL of the UA Economy passengers. TSA needs to get their act together. And those blue coats – never in my life have I seen so many passengers get into verbal shouting matches with airport employees. The blue coats are clueless and people are noticing.
The A terminal is staffed better than C. The other day when I saw the lines in C, I just took the Air tran over to A, went through security there, and took the bus back over to C. I actually got through security in 10 mins that way.

Last edited by l etoile; Feb 28, 2016 at 6:36 pm
Old Mar 1, 2016, 2:55 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
United management could take this up with the TSA and Port Authority, but given the length of time this problem has been out there without improvement, it appears they have not. Airport operators and airlines like to tell the public they have no control over the TSA, but in truth they have options, some nice and some not so nice, to exert pressure on the FSD responsible for their airport.

It would be nice to get a message here from United Insider acknowledging the problem and at least telling us they are trying to do something about it, or they are not.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 3:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by bocastephen
United management could take this up with the TSA and Port Authority, but given the length of time this problem has been out there without improvement, it appears they have not.

It would be nice to get a message here from United Insider acknowledging the problem and at least telling us they are trying to do something about it, or they are not.
I think you have answered your own question. UA doesn't have any reason to do anything about this, other than to enhance the passenger experience, and we all know how seriously those initiatives are taken I guess a side benefit could be that fewer people miss their flights, which makes UA RM's job easier, but as it stands they probably have optimized RM management for this situation and it doesn't matter to them on the bottom line.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
I think you have answered your own question. UA doesn't have any reason to do anything about this, other than to enhance the passenger experience, and we all know how seriously those initiatives are taken I guess a side benefit could be that fewer people miss their flights, which makes UA RM's job easier, but as it stands they probably have optimized RM management for this situation and it doesn't matter to them on the bottom line.
That sounds like Jeff-speak, not Oscar-speak - hopefully in this new environment of actual improvements, this is on the list.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 3:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA MM Plat; AA MM Gold; HHonors Diamond
Anyone equating this apparent nightmare at EWR to Pre at DEN (which a couple of posts have) is flat wrong. Monday morning I arrived with maybe 40 people in the Pre line (south checkpoint) and noted that there were three TSA agents checking IDs!! I was through in under 5 minutes.
Old Mar 1, 2016, 6:26 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, National EE
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton
I normally do push past them when they restrict the upper levels...they usually yell and stalk you for a bit then go away

But going into a 'closed' off line is a bit iffy for me. What's stopping anyone from entering the premier line in that case? I'm sure the TSA wouldn't care, but who knows
Anything before the TSA ID checker is controlled by the airport, in this case the AirServ guys they hired. Yes TSA won't care but that doesn't mean the AirServ guys won't call in airport police.

TSA really doesn't control who can go through which line so the earlier poster is correct TSA didn't close of C2, the airport decided so. Now from what I remember from the United Behind the Scene tour, a major portion of Terminal C is actually run by United so those guys may be hired by United, I'm not sure. I think maybe some pressure needs to be put at United to re-open C2 for everyone. Even if it wasn't their decision, they can put the pressure in the airport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.