Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Security line/PreCheck/Premier Access locations/wait times/issues [CONSOLIDATED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR Security line/PreCheck/Premier Access locations/wait times/issues [CONSOLIDATED]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2016, 9:08 am

Location: Now:AUS (again); Previous: LGA/EWR (BLKYN, missing JFK), AUS, SAT
Programs: Current: UA-Silver, Former AA Plat, DL Silver
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
this is the point where UA will start taking notice, or maybe just padding the flight schedules that much more.
We can only hope. I haven't cleared security in less than half an hour since they basically shut down the C2 checkpoint (wheelchairs only now) — and that's in the Premier Access line. It's an embarrassment and UA needs to put pressure on PANYNJ to get this fixed.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 12:24 pm

Programs: UA Silver / FA
Originally Posted by ndhapple
We can only hope. I haven't cleared security in less than half an hour since they basically shut down the C2 checkpoint (wheelchairs only now)
Since I moved to DEN I've only averaged one RT to EWR per 6 months or so.. First time after all these security changes, I went to C1 first.. it was a mess. Then C2 there was nobody.. "Perfect, this must be Precheck". Nope, TSA people all over the place, with no PRE.

C3 wasn't as bad as others have said/shown, but amazed me that they had an OPEN C2 with a ton of TSA staff doing nothing. At DEN, the wheelchairs are brought through the lines, as needed. No one cares, and it holds up 1 of 6 lines for 5/10 minutes.

C3 should be Precheck down that right aisle (2 Pre lines) then PA in the on the left/middle of that door. C1 & 2 should be economy & wheelchair access (wheelchair should be handled like PreCheck down the side of C1 or something).
Old Mar 3, 2016, 1:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Bonvoy Titanium/LT Gold
Originally Posted by Cargojon
I know EWR is hit and miss messy, and the pre-check is something between "room for improvement" and "hot mess", but I've seen DEN just as bad. Someone without pre-check almost needs to get in line the night before their flight to not risk missing it.
Pre plus Clear means I've never spent more than 15 mins at DEN security over 200+ departures there in the past three years - and the premier line is usually pretty good.

The kettle line on the other hand......
Old Mar 3, 2016, 2:06 pm

First they ban uber and now I just got an alert at work. #FML

--

Subject: Newark Airport Info-Alert

In the event of a possible NJ Transit Rail work stoppage beginning Sunday, March 13, there may be no NJ Transit Rail service at EWR. Visit njtransit.com for more information.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 3:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Holding pens for TSA Precheck at EWR

There was a disneyland style holding pen for TSA precheck at EWR today (3 Mar, around 5 pm).

This holding pen was a lower level and people were sent up to join the main line (which was also disneyland style) as space opened up.

And there was a long line extending out of the holding pen to join it!

I arrived before this long line materialized and it took me 21 mins to clear security.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 7:00 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Delta Plat, AA Plat, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Courtesy Card
Total Chaos at Secure Check at Terminal C (EWR) [Feb 26, 2016]

This holding pen is more the norm now. When I was there on Wednesday, it was an absolute gong show. There were people openly sobbing about how they were going to miss their flights. This really needs to stop.
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
While Alaska still refuses to take the POS to task for the TSA's chaos at SEA, at least they had the decency to post a photograph of said chaos on Twitter and pretty much openly blame the TSA while advising customers to arrive at least 2hrs before departure.

I think UA should be doing the same at EWR - if they're too scared to go after the PANYNJ or the TSA, at least shame them online while making sure customers are informed and prepared.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
While Alaska still refuses to take the POS to task for the TSA's chaos at SEA, at least they had the decency to post a photograph of said chaos on Twitter and pretty much openly blame the TSA while advising customers to arrive at least 2hrs before departure.

I think UA should be doing the same at EWR - if they're too scared to go after the PANYNJ or the TSA, at least shame them online while making sure customers are informed and prepared.
Atlanta had a problem similar to EWR's over the last year, which came to a head with the new govt fiscal year.

Last month, the Atlanta Hartsfield commission sent a public letter giving a deadline before which it would entertain offers for private contractors to replace the TSA.

http://airport.blog.ajc.com/2016/02/...alks-with-tsa/

I don't see any online reports of improvements, but data point of one from a colleague who flew the week after the letter said everything was ship shape, with lots of supervisors from both sides keeping an eye on things.

The Port Authority of New York has yet to take that step.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 6:38 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Here's a view of the C-2 checkpoint while C-1 and C-3 are inundated with angry customers.

One can clearly see the flood of wheelchairs that necessitates an ENTIRE (staffed) checkpoint being dedicated to them.

I wonder if United's new paid "Signature Service" also permits access through this now-empty channel while the rest of the non-GS passengers are shoehorned into C-1/C-3...?
Attached Images  

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 5, 2016 at 12:20 am Reason: converted oversized image
Old Mar 4, 2016, 7:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by bocastephen

In SEA you can still usually get thru the pre check line in 5-10 mins, max, not the 20-40 mins that is becoming the new normal at EWR it sounds like.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 8:00 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by EWR764
Here's a view of the C-2 checkpoint while C-1 and C-3 are inundated with angry customers.

One can clearly see the flood of wheelchairs that necessitates an ENTIRE (staffed) checkpoint being dedicated to them.

I wonder if United's new paid "Signature Service" also permits access through this now-empty channel while the rest of the non-GS passengers are shoehorned into C-1/C-3...?
There has to be more to this. Who else are they letting use C2? VIPs? PANYNJ employees?
Old Mar 4, 2016, 8:32 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
Couldn't say, but this is something that needs to be addressed by United. I suspect t's a combination of TSA staffing and UAL factors (trying to manage flow of special services pax and 'signature service', perhaps?) and it needs to be made clear that whatever was changed in late 2015 is not working.
Old Mar 4, 2016, 8:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amethyst Premier Plutonium Medallion
Originally Posted by EWR764
Couldn't say, but this is something that needs to be addressed by United. I suspect t's a combination of TSA staffing and UAL factors (trying to manage flow of special services pax and 'signature service', perhaps?) and it needs to be made clear that whatever was changed in late 2015 is not working.
My understanding is that the C2 checkpoint is fully staffed and that staff is being under utilized. Of course, this makes C1 and C3 appears to be understaffed.

The blame for this, IMO, is squarely with the PA and UAL.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 4, 2016 at 7:09 pm Reason: TSA/OMNI comments deleted
Old Mar 4, 2016, 9:39 am

Programs: UA 1K; *G, AA Plat
Originally Posted by PV_Premier
My understanding is that the C2 checkpoint is fully staffed and that staff is being under utilized. Of course, this makes C1 and C3 appears to be understaffed.

The blame for this, IMO, is squarely with the PA and UAL.

I shot a quick complaint off to the TSA asking why the C-2 checkpoint is underutilized and they replied stating "TSA is responsible for the area beginning at the security checkpoint leading into the secured area. The area leading up to the security checkpoint is regulated by the airport and the airlines assigned to that particular terminal."

Does this mean that United is indeed in charge of the C-2 Terminal mess? Or is the TSA actually in charge of determining which checkpoint is staffed for what purpose? Typical stock TSA autoreply btw...

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Mar 4, 2016 at 7:09 pm Reason: Quote updated to reflect Mod edit
Old Mar 4, 2016, 10:00 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by laxmillenial
Does this mean that United is indeed in charge of the C-2 Terminal mess? Or is the TSA actually in charge of determining which checkpoint is staffed for what purpose?
It's ultimately Port Authority. Don't know the extent to which UA has input.

TSA is responsible for the staffing of the checkpoints themselves, but not the flow into them.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.