Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

EWR Security line/PreCheck/Premier Access locations/wait times/issues [CONSOLIDATED]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

EWR Security line/PreCheck/Premier Access locations/wait times/issues [CONSOLIDATED]

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
Sounds like it might be worth the $5 to request a Red Cap and wheelchair. Then once through security, your ankle can feel much better.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 9:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by wxguy
Sounds like it might be worth the $5 to request a Red Cap and wheelchair. Then once through security, your ankle can feel much better.
If people do this, it will make the waits for wheelchair service much longer for those who really need it.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 9:51 am

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Craziness not-withstanding, I believe once you make the decision to not go in the PRE lane, as OP did by going through the PA lane, you don't get to then jump in PRE when you get to the front. Seems like TSA did OP a favor after he complained about his choice by letting him then skip over to PRE.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 9:58 am
LIH

Programs: UA GS 1.6MM UC | AA CK 0.7MM AC | Bonvoy Ambassador | Hyatt Globalist | Hertz PC
I avoid EWR at all costs. With that said, weather mid-week this week cancelled my LGA flight and all the options around it so I ended up out at EWR mid-day on Wednesday. Absolute disaster at both security check points. Asked one of the TSA agents milling about which line to get in given that my flight was boarding in 20 minutes and he directed me to the wheelchair/special only checkpoint. They let me through, only a few people in line. Without that I'm going to bet that it would have taken me 30 minutes to clear the Pre line. Crazy.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 10:18 am

Programs: UA Platinum
It's the inconsistency that is the most maddening. Last Sunday afternoon at about 4:45pm the Premier and regular lines were in their usual states, but there was literally no one in the Pre line and I walked up to the front and got through security in probably 3 minutes total.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 10:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
UA needs to fix this. The TSA situation @ EWR is appalling. 2 weeks ago I almost missed my flight because of this.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 11:05 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
Best results if you post your experiences on UA twitter and facebook feeds.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 12:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by naumank
Has EWR really gone down to this level?
This sounds pretty normal for the sEWeR for the last 5-6 years.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Originally Posted by mduell
This sounds pretty normal for the sEWeR for the last 5-6 years.
I disagree, I fly pretty regularly out of EWR, and up until the beginning of this year I was generally thru security in under 10 min -- using either TSA Pre or PA. Something seems to have drastically changed, starting with closing off the C2 area to all but wheelchairs and the total confusion of the ultra long lines snaking throughout level 2 landside.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA GS, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Does anyone know why they now restrict C-2 to wheelchairs only? C-3 is a complete mess now.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 2:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Silver, Hertz
I also fly out of EWR on a regular basis and never used to have the TSA Pre line average much more than 10 minutes, but ever since they closed C-2 - it has been a disaster.

Of course, I say that, but last Thursday I flew mid-day (Noonish) and was through the C-3 TSA Pre line in about 5 minutes. So, it can really depend on time of day/day of week.

By the way, like everyone else, I cannot stand these pop-up bars in the middle of the terminals. It is really tough maneuvering around it all.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by LarryJ
A complete overhaul of the C-Terminal checkpoints is planned. The result will be one large screening checkpoint instead of three separate ones. Haven't seen the planned layout yet.
I believe the overhaul is starting. The C-1 exit from the secure area was closed the other day and a UA employee told me that it was due to work starting on that prject.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Was the GS line backed up as well?

Originally Posted by Kacee
When is an EWR departure not chaos?
Well said!^

IAD mid-terminal transit can be just as bad during mid afternoon period.
Old Feb 27, 2016, 5:35 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA 1K, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by RJNYC
Does anyone know why they now restrict C-2 to wheelchairs only? C-3 is a complete mess now.
If C2 is only wheelchairs where does the GS checkin take you?
Old Feb 27, 2016, 6:02 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Restricting C-2 to wheelchairs is ridiculous. One third of the checkpoints is for this? That slows things down considerably, there is hardly a line there, and tons of TSA agents doing nothing. They could have one lane for wheelchairs and things would be much better. Oddly enough I arrived at Pre Check around 6pm last night and there was hardly a line. Which was fortunate for me because I realized I left my drivers license at home. That experience was rather easy I must say. The previous 2 Friday nights Precheck was a nightmare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.