Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[CONSOLIDATED] United WiFi and phone calls: WiFi Calling, VOIP apps, & etc discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2016, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Can I use my cell phone or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service for voice communications or videoconferencing while inflight?
Although you are allowed to use your cell phone in airplane mode for activities such as surfing the Internet and sending email, we do not allow the use of our onboard Internet service for voice communication or videoconferencing through a cell phone, VoIP or any similar service. Voice and video calls are not permitted. By purchasing an Internet plan and accessing our service on board, you agree not to make voice or video calls, including but not limited to VoIP, in flight.
Print Wikipost

[CONSOLIDATED] United WiFi and phone calls: WiFi Calling, VOIP apps, & etc discussion

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2015, 7:54 am

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Rcarentals
ok well that's my point too -
Clearly we agree then, that many people would use their phones for an in flight call would not be obnoxious about it. And that it's possible to make a call mid flight without being a [jerk] to other passengers.

The question then is only,
A. Does humanity in general possess enough tactfulness to maintain their midflight calls to a comfortable level on a flight the majority of the time?
OR
B. are there just too many doofuses who would drive us crazy?
I spend a lot of time on trains, both commuter and Amtrak. The answer is definitely B.
Old May 1, 2015, 8:11 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by StingWest
Perhaps you might go into a Pete's Coffee (or similar) and listen to all of the VoIP conversations around you - mostly by people using earbuds and a microphone plugged into their laptops (earbud setup causes one to speak loudly) Then you'll understand!
In the lounges I now applaud the few who used earphones to chat on VOIP ... the standard seems to be to have the speakers on full volume and bark at the computer so that the other party can still hear one when one's strolling over to bar to get a refill ... .
Old May 1, 2015, 8:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by emcampbe
According to the UA policy, yes, it is against it, per the FAQ:

Don't know if this is necessarily widespread, and can't imagine the bandwidth for a stream like this consistently exists in an aircraft - I'd expect lots of pauses, etc. Nor is it really reasonable to take up that much bandwidth, IMO. Interfere with aircraft communications? Not more than any other site, but it would likely interfere with the ability for other pax to get a decent connection on the same flight.
Pandora is not streaming video. Not entirely clear whether the term "streaming services" in the UA policy refers to video services only, or applies more broadly to other types of streaming.

In any event, Pandora doesn't use that much bandwidth. Pandora recommends at least 150 kbps.

I personally don't see a problem with using it (as opposed to streaming video, which officially makes one a bandwidth hog).
Old May 1, 2015, 9:09 am
Suspended

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Yep - but then again hyperbole and FT have gne together for years.
Clearly, anyone who uses their cell phones is a dick, meaning the entire world is made up of dicks - so if you plan to be the odd one out sitting in your seat with your tungsten PDA off, while the rest of 2015 is moving ahead barking at the "youngsters" by all means be a ...

I just think it's a bit ridiculous to generalise anyone who makes a call on a plane into a category like that. On international flights i'm watching movies anyways for a good chunck of the flight with my headphones in. if your speaking relatively quietly not a soul can hear you anyway over the engines...

it's not like everybody would suddenly start chatting on their phones 24/7 - EK is a great example.
People with cell access aren't on their phone 24/7 even outside an airplane anyway.. msging is much more popular nowadays then calls...
With super fast internet and cell connection onboard - i think most people would just be browsing - maybe voice notes a short call max. There will be exceptions to the rule. If you MUST avoid them, don't fly to "NYC, LAX, SFO, IAD" lol...
I see what you mean!
Old May 1, 2015, 9:49 am

Programs: UA AU MM,HH Diamond,Hyatt Globalist , Marriott Gold
The calls that happen on the plane after landing now are annoying enough. "Yeah, I just landed..."

If there were only another way to find that information.
Old May 1, 2015, 10:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
1st off -- question? Is it inconsiderate to talk to your girlfriend if she's sitting next to you on a flight JFK-LAX - assuming your keeping your tone normal, or lower?

I don't understand why you think a cell phone should be so different, as well this was a day flight and Since when were flights "no talk zones".
Regarding people who shout at their cell phones - the same people would shout at the person next to them and laugh loud enough at their AVOD's to interfere with the planes signals.
Others bring their noise spreading headphones on board and put it really loud too - acknowledged there are public peace abusers.

Planes are not libraries. i would have no problem if someone spoke - quietly on the phone. it's not inconsiderate. especially on international flights, plug in your headphones and enjoy your AVOD.

Re: FCC law. since this was Voip - it may not fit in the category of the ban, as it seems the intention of the law, was to forbid cellular usage - not data. Cellular connections were presumed to possibly effect the planes signals. voip is data - hence it may not fit into the ban.

Re: United rules - this is not the law. The FA i doubt was dumb enough to think the cellular network was working at 30,000 feet or what not. But ok - united's policy clearly forbids this anyway.

So here's the next question. Because there will be people who abuse it, should all passengers NOT be able to be as productive during flights?

I see a time when flights have not just a seat and wifi for social network browsing, but 1gbs wifi, the tray table has a touch sensitive keyboard, and from takeoff to landing your able to plow away at work on a 17 inch IPS screen on the back of the chair in front of you, to which you connect your "rasberry pi" or your new microsoft or apple equivalent and run your regular desktop from the cattle cabin - and attend web conferences from the inbuilt webcam in front of you.

One of the benefits of flying verses for example driving - is that while flying you should be able to and can already be much more productive, anyone who takes the subway will tell you how much they read or get done on the way to and from work - vs sitting in traffic thats a great utilization. This will be a great benefit of automatic cars, and should in the 21st - be a benefit of flying.

For a NYC-LAX Flight - I want to see an office, not a bed on the next new cabin rollout...
That upgrade would easily go as a business expense - imagine not paying to upgrade from coach to premium economy for more legroom but rather to "economy work" where you can actually be super productive for your 6hrs in the air. If you run your own business this is a very valuable offer.
Brings to mind Larry David and his imaginary cellphone!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LtdpJlZ07u4
Old May 1, 2015, 10:36 am

Programs: DeltaSilver/MM, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by SmokeyTheBear
Pretty sure voice communication is against FAA regulations.

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releas...9&newsId=15254

Edit: More here:

Edit II:
idlechill states this below:

So, it's both against FAA policy & UA policy. FA did nothing wrong - no need to chastise. All answers found pretty easily through Google.
Actually, your interpretation is WRONG as far as FAA policy. It was in airplane mode using WIFI, it was not using the cellular network. Today's cellular telephone is actually a tracking device and portable computer with the ability to make telephone calls. This is no different from me using Wifi on my laptop to connect into my office VPN and make a VOIP call using my office phone system.
Old May 1, 2015, 11:09 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
For clarity, use of cellular communication on aircraft is barred by the FCC--not the FAA.

The flight attendant unions have lobbied heavily to maintain that restriction, not because cellular communications will bring down an airliner, but to combat air rage which would be fully expected to occur if rude people were yelling into their phones during a flight.

Secondly, as mentioned by me above, when UA's policies are included in its flight attendant manuals, those manuals must be approved by the FAA. Once the FAA has done so, and it has or the restriction would not be in the present manual, the UA rule becomes an enforceable FAA regulation.

Laws in polite society do not exist for the majority, who will generally behave acceptably, but for the minority who will not do so otherwise.

Anyone who thinks all passengers will behave appropriately, i.e., speak quietly, when using a cell phone in-flight ignores the reality of modern society.
Old May 1, 2015, 11:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Please shut up.
Old May 1, 2015, 11:34 am

Programs: DL Plat 1MM, AA EXP 3MM, SQ Krisflyer Gold, UA Silver, Marriott LTT, HH Gold
Remember the days of smoking and non-smoking sections? If there was a "phone allowed" section, I would sit there. Not because I have this overwhelming urge to feel important, but I wouldn't have to schedule my flights around meetings where I often don't have to say much anyhow.

I have on occasion used VoIP on flights, and especially on a true C or F (int) seat where you are pretty much on your own, I really don't see how that can bother anyone - I have a noise cancelling headset with a noise cancelling microphone - you can speak way quieter than if you were speaking to your neighbor.

Of course it is important to make sure not to be a nuisance to the rest of the flight, but I strongly feel many of you are just rejecting the idea out of principle or because that's how it's always been.
Old May 1, 2015, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
I think that we are "rejecting the idea" because some people that use them have no consideration for others.
Old May 1, 2015, 11:57 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by flying_geek
Remember the days of smoking and non-smoking sections? ...
Yeap and I remember how ineffective they were.

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
I think that we are "rejecting the idea" because some people that use them have no consideration for others.
yes and the difficult of addressing/enforcing appropriate vs inappropriate usage.

Those that need to stay in contract 7x24 can use texting, e-mail, ....
Old May 1, 2015, 12:01 pm

Programs: United Global Services, Amtrak Select Executive
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Awesome!
Old May 1, 2015, 12:01 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Remember the days of smoking and non-smoking sections?
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Yeap and I remember how ineffective they were.
Exactly. The whole airplane became the "smoky" section.

One of the things I really enjoy about air travel is being free from the phone for a block of time. I've found that life and work somehow go on without me
Old May 1, 2015, 12:38 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL
Remember the days of smoking and non-smoking sections? If there was a "phone allowed" section, I would sit there. Not because I have this overwhelming urge to feel important, but I wouldn't have to schedule my flights around meetings where I often don't have to say much anyhow.

I have on occasion used VoIP on flights, and especially on a true C or F (int) seat where you are pretty much on your own, I really don't see how that can bother anyone - I have a noise cancelling headset with a noise cancelling microphone - you can speak way quieter than if you were speaking to your neighbor.

Of course it is important to make sure not to be a nuisance to the rest of the flight, but I strongly feel many of you are just rejecting the idea out of principle or because that's how it's always been.
It sounds like you are actually thoughtful and considerate.
Sadly many aren't and there is no secret that lots of people clearly haven't thought about this as you have.
I think those of us who don't like the idea aren't doing it because we are incapable of thinking progressively, but rather that we base our opinions on the actual, real world where we are often subjected to rude users. Perhaps if we weren't subjected to annoyingly loud, inconsiderate phone conversations on a regular basis on trains, in stores, in waiting rooms, in restaurants, and even in theaters and elevators we might be able to think beyond "how it's always been".

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.