Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[CONSOLIDATED] United WiFi and phone calls: WiFi Calling, VOIP apps, & etc discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2016, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Can I use my cell phone or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service for voice communications or videoconferencing while inflight?
Although you are allowed to use your cell phone in airplane mode for activities such as surfing the Internet and sending email, we do not allow the use of our onboard Internet service for voice communication or videoconferencing through a cell phone, VoIP or any similar service. Voice and video calls are not permitted. By purchasing an Internet plan and accessing our service on board, you agree not to make voice or video calls, including but not limited to VoIP, in flight.
Print Wikipost

[CONSOLIDATED] United WiFi and phone calls: WiFi Calling, VOIP apps, & etc discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 26, 2017, 9:45 am

if VOIP is banned on UA's in-flight wifi, how did the woman next to me use it?

she was chatting it up with her friend on Skype running on her tablet during most of the 5-hour flight...

or is just "not allowed" instead of actually being blocked on UA's inflight wifi system?

although... Skype uses relatively little bandwidth, definitely a LOT less when I used the wifi to sync full size photos into my iCloud account during the flight... which was about 900MB of photos that I took at the airport just before boarding the flight.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 10:12 am

Programs: UA 1K/MM, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Something, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I don't actually know if UA's wifi attempts to block VOIP or not, but even if they did it's not actually possible to do it.

VOIP is a concept, not a specific protocol - there are dozens of different VOIP protocols, all of which work in very different ways.

Some VOIP protocols are easy to block. Others range from more difficult to basically to impossible to block (at least without blocking other things as well). And all of them are impossible to block if the user uses something like a VPN.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 11:15 am

Originally Posted by docbert
I don't actually know if UA's wifi attempts to block VOIP or not, but even if they did it's not actually possible to do it.

VOIP is a concept, not a specific protocol - there are dozens of different VOIP protocols, all of which work in very different ways.

Some VOIP protocols are easy to block. Others range from more difficult to basically to impossible to block (at least without blocking other things as well). And all of them are impossible to block if the user uses something like a VPN.
What is the purpose of blocking VOIP or any form of voice communication using onboard wifi? It's can't be for bandwidth because I do a lot of things that eats tons more bandwidth than chatting on Skype or Hangouts.(which consume very little)

Or is it to prevent people from talking and annoying seatmates? Well.. then they need to ban those two women who kept talking to each other loudly. (always seems to end up sitting next to two of them on every flight, in coach or business, long haul or short haul)
Old Aug 26, 2017, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by MrWilliamston

she was chatting it up with her friend on Skype running on her tablet during most of the 5-hour flight...

or is just "not allowed" instead of actually being blocked on UA's inflight wifi system?

although... Skype uses relatively little bandwidth, definitely a LOT less when I used the wifi to sync full size photos into my iCloud account during the flight... which was about 900MB of photos that I took at the airport just before boarding the flight.
you can certainly do this when using VPN. Easy to report to the FA and they will shut this down quickly. I would not tolerate such behavior.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by cfischer
you can certainly do this when using VPN. Easy to report to the FA and they will shut this down quickly. I would not tolerate such behavior.
FA has the ability to shut down someone's connection based on seat number?
Old Aug 26, 2017, 3:05 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
FA has the ability to shut down someone's connection based on seat number?
No, but the FA can speak to the passenger and remind them of the rules.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 5:00 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
No, but the FA can speak to the passenger and remind them of the rules.

When I politely hinted to the flight attendant that the two women next to me were talking too loudly for over 4 hours on the TATL night flight, she just shrugged and looked at me like I was some kind troublemaker.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
When I politely hinted to the flight attendant that the two women next to me were talking too loudly for over 4 hours on the TATL night flight, she just shrugged and looked at me like I was some kind troublemaker.
When two passenger are talking too loud for you (a very subjective situation) there is little the FA can do, there is no "rule" issue unless they are considered disrupting the flight which is very high standard.

When someone is using voip app, they are violating a rule and there is something the FA can mention.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 5:15 pm

When two passenger are talking too loud for you (a very subjective situation) there is little the FA can do, there is no "rule" issue unless they are considered disrupting the flight which is very high standard.

When someone is using voip app, they are violating a rule and there is something the FA can mention.
true... but I wasn't the only one who were kept awake by those women.

I was in row 16(first row of E+) on the 767-400. The women were on the other side of the aisle in the same row. When I walked to the back to use the lavatories, I could still hear clearly what they were saying. The lavatories were about 12 or 13 rows away.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 5:55 pm

true... but I wasn't the only one who were kept awake by those women.

I was in row 16(first row of E+) on the 767-400. The women were on the other side of the aisle in the same row. When I walked to the back to use the lavatories, I could still hear clearly what they were saying. The lavatories were about 12 or 13 rows away.
Different situation from viop case. However if others complained, then maybe the FAs would have done something. But if you were the only complaint and FA did not feel they were out of place, unlikely any FA would have done anything. Consequences if being in a public place
Old Aug 26, 2017, 6:08 pm

Different situation from viop case. However if others complained, then maybe the FAs would have done something. But if you were the only complaint and FA did not feel they were out of place, unlikely any FA would have done anything. Consequences if being in a public place
sorry for dragging this off-topic...

let me get back to the VOIP. so what is the reason for banning VOIP? Surelty it's not bandwidth, because I use up way more bandwidth just viewing and syncing my photos using onboard wifi... probably 100 times that what a typical VOIP call would use.
Old Aug 26, 2017, 6:14 pm

.... let me get back to the VOIP. so what is the reason for banning VOIP? ....
passenger disruption --- just like the guy in the lounge that talks too loud on their mobile. For some reason, many people think they need to speak louder when on an electronic device vs normal conversational levels talking to a person next to them. They are wrong but you see it all the time. Plus there are some that would talk the entire flight to someone remote when none of those around them are involved.

This is the primary reason most airlines do not allow / have not offered cell phone calls on the aircraft. It is technical doable ( one of the ME airlines provide). When the FCC was debating it for US airlines, the airlines lobbied against it -- to avoid passenger distribution and passenger conflicts. FA unions were also very vocal against that.

Airplane cell phone calls won’t be allowed in US any time soon
The FCC is reversing its proposal to allow cellphone use on planes

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 26, 2017 at 6:20 pm Reason: links
Old Aug 26, 2017, 7:16 pm

passenger disruption --- just like the guy in the lounge that talks too loud on their mobile. For some reason, many people think they need to speak louder when on an electronic device vs normal conversational levels talking to a person next to them. They are wrong but you see it all the time. Plus there are some that would talk the entire flight to someone remote when none of those around them are involved.

This is the primary reason most airlines do not allow / have not offered cell phone calls on the aircraft. It is technical doable ( one of the ME airlines provide). When the FCC was debating it for US airlines, the airlines lobbied against it -- to avoid passenger distribution and passenger conflicts. FA unions were also very vocal against that.

Airplane cell phone calls won’t be allowed in US any time soon
The FCC is reversing its proposal to allow cellphone use on planes
This is the solution.... I've been waiting patiently for it.
https://www.cnet.com/news/hushme-may...-ever-created/
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:40 pm

Programs: Delta PL & MM, Starwood PL, Hyatt Diam, Hilton Diam
Thumbs down First Class FA didn't know and walked away letting passenger chat away

UNITED Flight 222 ORD to SFO 2/7/2017 - First class cabin....

I am currently in row 1 and the gentlemen next to me was using his phone in flight. I asked him if he was allowed and he said it was VOIP and using a Whats App and it was allowed. I then asked the FA attending the first class cabin if he was allowed to use his cellphone through VOIP. She said she didn't know, walked off and sat back down chit chatting with the other FA in the first class cabin. The guy continued his conversation. Of course once he got off he started giving me a hard time...Thanks United First Class FA for not knowing your own policy.

Upon further research it appears that it IS against United Policy to use your cellphone and VOIP using the united in flight internet. I would suggest updating this FA on the policy, and to not be so rude if another passenger in first class, has a similar situation.
Old Feb 7, 2018, 5:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
GeorgeK it sounds like you want United to know about this. Since they won’t read this post you may wish to contact United through your customer service email to make a report.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.