Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[CONSOLIDATED] United WiFi and phone calls: WiFi Calling, VOIP apps, & etc discussion

Old Nov 10, 2016, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Can I use my cell phone or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service for voice communications or videoconferencing while inflight?
Although you are allowed to use your cell phone in airplane mode for activities such as surfing the Internet and sending email, we do not allow the use of our onboard Internet service for voice communication or videoconferencing through a cell phone, VoIP or any similar service. Voice and video calls are not permitted. By purchasing an Internet plan and accessing our service on board, you agree not to make voice or video calls, including but not limited to VoIP, in flight.
Print Wikipost

[CONSOLIDATED] United WiFi and phone calls: WiFi Calling, VOIP apps, & etc discussion

Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz PLAT, Mile Runner, Blue Screen.

Apparently my friend is a really bad citizen - ignorance not being an excuse for breaking the law on a UA 1225. (Still currently mid flight)

He made a whatsapp call - while his phone was in airplane mode, over the onboard wifi. An FA that happened to stroll by scolded him saying he was "breaking the law!" - after which ensued an awkward silence as other passengers who couldn't realise what he was "doing wrong" are now giving him the look of some stow-away criminal.

I ask -
1. What law was he breaking?
If he wasn't breaking the law but merely a Airline policy - then,
2A. where is that policy?
2B. why say it's against the "law"

FA's may not like calls - but just because maybe UA doesn't let it, doesn't necessarily mean US Law doesn't. (Although It could be, she is correct though and my friend accidentally broke the law. In which case maybe UA should arrange some police to pick him up on landing )

Thoughts - and clarification?

#UAgetwithit
Old Apr 29, 2015, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike...
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
It's possible the FA thought your friend was using a standard cell connection -- which is almost impossible during flight. Otherwise it sounds like an verzealous FA making up rules laws yet again. It's best to just comply and then ignore this kind of thing to avoid being tagged as interfering with a flight crew (a Federal crime).
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:00 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Xyzzy
Sounds like an verzealous FA making up rules laws yet again. It's best to just comply and then ignore this kind of thing to avoid being tagged as interfering with a flight crew (a Federal crime).
Of course he complied. He isnt one to get all confrontational. This is about analyzing what happened and discussing this publicly. The above questions require airlines to give clear answers... its 2015..
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:02 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Making any sort of calls during a flight should be illegal.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA Reg
Pretty sure voice communication is against FAA regulations.

Top Things Passengers Should Know about Expanded Use of PEDs on Airplanes:
4. Cell phones may not be used for voice communications.
http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releas...9&newsId=15254

Edit: More here:
and cannot be used for voice communications based on FCC regulations that prohibit any airborne calls using cell phones.
Edit II:
idlechill states this below:

Originally Posted by idlechill
Founds this on the United site:

"If you purchase an Internet plan on board, you can surf the Internet and send emails. Please note that we do not allow the use of our onboard Internet service for voice communication or videoconferencing through a cell phone, Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) or any similar device or service. Voice and video calls are expressly prohibited."

http://www.united.com/web/en-us/cont...i/default.aspx

Cut and dry there for UA policy to me. Don't know about the feds.
So, it's both against FAA policy & UA policy. FA did nothing wrong - no need to chastise. All answers found pretty easily through Google.

Last edited by SmokeyTheBear; Apr 29, 2015 at 9:41 pm
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SmokeyTheBear
Pretty sure voice communication is against FAA regulations.

http://www.faa.gov/news/press_releas...9&newsId=15254

Edit: More here:
Funny.. i recall flights on older planes - qantas if i recall, having pay phones in the Avod system... not sure this is 100%.. might be missing something here...

Edit: Also note it says any airborne calls using cell phones - does that mean tablets are ok? - these laws sound quite outdated...

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Dont know if i disagree... but thats a side issue.
Legal or illegal is the question.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Apr 30, 2015 at 4:25 am Reason: merge
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by Rcarentals
Dont know if i disagree... but thats a side issue.
Legal or illegal is the question.
Doubtful the VOIP calls are illegal, but they are against airline rules. I'd bet the FA thought your friend was making a call on the cellular network.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:22 pm

Originally Posted by Rcarentals
Funny.. i recall flights on older planes - qantas if i recall, having pay phones in the Avod system... not sure this is 100%.. might be missing something here...
Phones in the seat back probably don't qualify as Personal Electronic Devices, so my guess is those calls and connections were and still are allowed.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:27 pm

Programs: UA Silv, IHG Plat, HH Gold, WN A-List
Founds this on the United site:

If you purchase an Internet plan on board, you can surf the Internet and send emails. Please note that we do not allow the use of our onboard Internet service for voice communication or videoconferencing through a cell phone, Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) or any similar device or service. Voice and video calls are expressly prohibited.
http://www.united.com/web/en-us/cont...i/default.aspx

Cut and dry there for UA policy to me. Don't know about the feds.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:30 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Platinum, Marriott Titanium
I did the same thing using another app going from Beijing to San Francisco. The flight attendant was very nice and asked if I was talking on the phone and I said no I am using united wifi and showed her the top left of my phone. She was surprised but left me alone.
I am not sure sitting on seat 1A of a 747 helped my cause and the flight attendant's attitude! But it was all ok
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:33 pm

Programs: HiltonSilver, MariottGold, HyattPlat, KimptonTier3, UA 1K, HertzGold,AvisPres
Legal or not, making a call during a flight is extremely inconsiderate. Glad the FA put a stop to it.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:50 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by scottpenderson
Phones in the seat back probably don't qualify as Personal Electronic Devices, so my guess is those calls and connections were and still are allowed.
More importantly, they were certified by the FAA to be used in flight.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 9:53 pm

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
^^
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K 24 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
I have on multiple occasions attended web based business meetings over United WiFi from my iPad where audio was delivered over an https connection. I didn't need to speak, but I needed to listen and observe what was being presented.

Am I violating United's policy?
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:36 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
Am I violating United's policy?
I'd say so.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.