Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[CONSOLIDATED] United WiFi and phone calls: WiFi Calling, VOIP apps, & etc discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2016, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Can I use my cell phone or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service for voice communications or videoconferencing while inflight?
Although you are allowed to use your cell phone in airplane mode for activities such as surfing the Internet and sending email, we do not allow the use of our onboard Internet service for voice communication or videoconferencing through a cell phone, VoIP or any similar service. Voice and video calls are not permitted. By purchasing an Internet plan and accessing our service on board, you agree not to make voice or video calls, including but not limited to VoIP, in flight.
Print Wikipost

[CONSOLIDATED] United WiFi and phone calls: WiFi Calling, VOIP apps, & etc discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:29 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by Rcarentals
1st off -- question? Is it inconsiderate to talk to your girlfriend if she's sitting next to you on a flight JFK-LAX - assuming your keeping your tone normal, or lower?

I don't understand why you think a cell phone should be so different, as well this was a day flight and Since when were flights "no talk zones".
Regarding people who shout at their cell phones - the same people would shout at the person next to them and laugh loud enough at their AVOD's to interfere with the planes signals.
Others bring their noise spreading headphones on board and put it really loud too - acknowledged there are public peace abusers.

Planes are not libraries. i would have no problem if someone spoke - quietly on the phone. it's not inconsiderate. especially on international flights, plug in your headphones and enjoy your AVOD.

Re: FCC law. since this was Voip - it may not fit in the category of the ban, as it seems the intention of the law, was to forbid cellular usage - not data. Cellular connections were presumed to possibly effect the planes signals. voip is data - hence it may not fit into the ban.

Re: United rules - this is not the law. The FA i doubt was dumb enough to think the cellular network was working at 30,000 feet or what not. But ok - united's policy clearly forbids this anyway.

So here's the next question. Because there will be people who abuse it, should all passengers NOT be able to be as productive during flights?

I see a time when flights have not just a seat and wifi for social network browsing, but 1gbs wifi, the tray table has a touch sensitive keyboard, and from takeoff to landing your able to plow away at work on a 17 inch IPS screen on the back of the chair in front of you, to which you connect your "rasberry pi" or your new microsoft or apple equivalent and run your regular desktop from the cattle cabin - and attend web conferences from the inbuilt webcam in front of you.

One of the benefits of flying verses for example driving - is that while flying you should be able to and can already be much more productive, anyone who takes the subway will tell you how much they read or get done on the way to and from work - vs sitting in traffic thats a great utilization. This will be a great benefit of automatic cars, and should in the 21st - be a benefit of flying.

For a NYC-LAX Flight - I want to see an office, not a bed on the next new cabin rollout...
That upgrade would easily go as a business expense - imagine not paying to upgrade from coach to premium economy for more legroom but rather to "economy work" where you can actually be super productive for your 6hrs in the air. If you run your own business this is a very valuable offer.

I think you will be in a minority here, aslo how do you stop the disturbance to all around you ?

The diffrence between talking to your GF and being on the phone is that, whether needed or not, people almost always speak louder on phones. The only place I have found that not to be the case is in Thailand !

Originally Posted by JBord
Besides the fact that it would drive me crazy to hear someone yakking away on a phone on my flight, this thread is missing an obvious benefit to the voice call ban...I'm sure everyone here at some time has used their flight as a way to get away from work for a couple hours or to avoid that really annoying phone call.

It's going to be a little more stressful when I can't occasionally say "I'm just boarding a plane, I'll have to call you back tomorrow".

One solution would be to allow voice calls, but find a way to charge astronomical rates for the data usage. Just like the console phones used to be $10/minute or whatever so they were rarely used. Good compromise for someone whose call actually is important vs. someone who thinks all their calls are important.
The cost wont stop some and then they will still disturb, just keep it banned. Simple

Clearly, anyone who uses their cell phones is a dick, meaning the entire world is made up of dicks - so if you plan to be the odd one out sitting in your seat with your tungsten PDA off, while the rest of 2015 is moving ahead barking at the "youngsters" by all means be a ...

I just think it's a bit ridiculous to generalise anyone who makes a call on a plane into a category like that. On international flights i'm watching movies anyways for a good chunck of the flight with my headphones in. if your speaking relatively quietly not a soul can hear you anyway over the engines...

it's not like everybody would suddenly start chatting on their phones 24/7 - EK is a great example.
People with cell access aren't on their phone 24/7 even outside an airplane anyway.. msging is much more popular nowadays then calls...
With super fast internet and cell connection onboard - i think most people would just be browsing - maybe voice notes a short call max. There will be exceptions to the rule. If you MUST avoid them, don't fly to "NYC, LAX, SFO, IAD" lol...

Ask anyone who has had a flight ruined by idiots using a phone for a few mins with a loud voice. you can text, it should be enough !

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 1, 2015 at 3:56 am Reason: multi-quote should be used
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:41 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by ZZYZXROAD
What? In the 90's wasn't there a cell phone in front of you on every airline? ....
The Airfones of the 90's were not cellular phones. Worked on a complete different principal.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
The Airfones of the 90's were not cellular phones. Worked on a complete different principal.
...and it was so expensive no one would yap for hours.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:50 pm

Programs: WN A-List+/CP, Hertz Pres Club, Marriott Platinum
1st off -- question? Is it inconsiderate to talk to your girlfriend if she's sitting next to you on a flight JFK-LAX - assuming your keeping your tone normal, or lower?

I don't understand why you think a cell phone should be so different, as well this was a day flight and Since when were flights "no talk zones".
The difference is that people would much more likely call up their buddies/co-workers/boss, etc and talk for hours on end if cell phone calls were considered an acceptable social norm on airplanes. If this somehow became a social norm, every flight would have 150+ talking heads aboard it. I don't know about you but I hardly ever chat up my random plane neighbors for more than a casual couple of minutes so I think there is a definite difference between casual airplane conversations and verbal phone usage..
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:33 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Perhaps it would help this discussion if it was realized that a United rule that is placed in its Flight Attendant Manual, which the prohibition on voice calls over cellular or VOIP is, is approved by the FAA. A violation of that rule in the manual is thus a violation of an FAR and is illegal.

But don't let facts get in the way of an amusing argument.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:35 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
More importantly, they were certified by the FAA to be used in flight.
And most importantly, they are not cell phones. They don't use high bandwidth, high power wireless burst packets to transmit the encoded data. They are wire bound and have minimal electromagnetic footprint.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:40 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
Civility consists of not making a burden of yourself to others.
Old May 1, 2015, 12:10 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
The cost wont stop some and then they will still disturb, just keep it banned. Simple
Agree! Getting on flights these days is bad enough, without having to suffer hours of someone chatting endlessly on the phone..
Old May 1, 2015, 12:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz PLAT, Mile Runner, Blue Screen.
Originally Posted by ERP Flyer
Bit of an overraction here..

I didn't say I don't condone any or all cell phone use... at all. I'm a millenial who uses their phone a lot. But if I'm sitting next to someone who is chirping sentences into their Whatsapp App on and off for a 10-15 minute back and forth conversation - you best believe they are going to get a death stare from me. Trust me, I'm down 'with the youngsters'. What I'm not down with is people who want to make extended calls on airplanes..
ok well that's my point too -
Clearly we agree then, that many people would use their phones for an in flight call would not be obnoxious about it. And that it's possible to make a call mid flight without being a [jerk] to other passengers.

The question then is only,
A. Does humanity in general possess enough tactfulness to maintain their midflight calls to a comfortable level on a flight the majority of the time?
OR
B. are there just too many doofuses who would drive us crazy?

I'd like to also point out - that just because a flight has 185 seats on it, doesn't mean your crammed. many flights leave me with a spare seat or two next to me. In the event i'm on a crammed flight, i'd feel less comfortable to make a call, and would do so quickly only for a neccesity (or send a voice note), but with two spare seats next to me or in business and first.. i'd be fine to skype my loved one from 10,000 above - just keep your voice down.

Originally Posted by weero
And most importantly, they are not cell phones. They don't use high bandwidth, high power wireless burst packets to transmit the encoded data. They are wire bound and have minimal electromagnetic footprint.
My Googling the topic points to this reason not being the true one.
Some Airlines aren't interested in in flight calls (e.g. United) so they "pressed the FCC" not to amend the ban on in flight calls just yet. In reality though, Calls in flight have (officially or unofficially) been proven NOT to interfere..

Think about it, an airplane costs 10's or 100's of millions, can land on it's own and is super advanced, yet my cell phone can allegedly "make it crash?"...
I guess boeing and airbus couldn't get around those darn cellphone signals!! - and yet they allow these potentially "LETHAL" devices on a plane... (Don't let the terrorists know this!)

If a guy tells an FA "please divert this plane to Vegas!... or i'll turn on my phone and try making a call!..".... seriously?
He would get laughed off - unless of course he was of middle eastern backround.. then he would be met on the ground by a swat team. (what racial profiling? )

Originally Posted by StingWest
Agree! Getting on flights these days is bad enough, without having to suffer hours of someone chatting endlessly on the phone..
why would you need to suffer hours? am i missing something, or are people always on the phone for hours nowadays? a few minutes never upset anyone, and i don't understand why it's assumed that "anyone that wants to use their phone on a plane, want to use it for hours.."

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; May 1, 2015 at 3:58 am Reason: merge/edited masked vulgarity
Old May 1, 2015, 12:56 am

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
why would you need to suffer hours? am i missing something, or are people always on the phone for hours nowadays? a few minutes never upset anyone, and i don't understand why it's assumed that "anyone that wants to use their phone on a plane, want to use it for hours.."
Perhaps you might go into a Pete's Coffee (or similar) and listen to all of the VoIP conversations around you - mostly by people using earbuds and a microphone plugged into their laptops (earbud setup causes one to speak loudly) Then you'll understand!
Old May 1, 2015, 2:12 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by seenitall
On the private jets that I have had the good fortune to travel on, a satellite phone is available to make voice calls. If you feel the UA TOS admonition against such calls is too constraining, charter up ... .

The rest of us Plebians will enjoy the peace and quiet on our commercial flights.
Or, as mentioned upthread, book the EK A380 in any class of service.

UA has matched EK on promotional fares NYC-MXP. Maybe they'll also match them on mobile service (ha ha, I jest).
Old May 1, 2015, 4:22 am

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
..My Googling the topic points to this reason not being the true one.
What do you mean? The phones in the seats are absolutely not cell phones. The one single certified transmitter on the plane may be a cellular one depending on the technology but it can be cut by the pilots and obeys stricter rules.
Some Airlines aren't interested in in flight calls (e.g. United) so they "pressed the FCC" not to amend the ban on in flight calls just yet. In reality though, Calls in flight have (officially or unofficially) been proven NOT to interfere..
As usual 'studies' support both sides. Cell phones did interferer with communication equipment and navigation tools but not recently. I understand that each legislation and authority interprets this slightly differently.
Think about it, an airplane costs 10's or 100's of millions, can land on it's own and is super advanced, yet my cell phone can allegedly "make it crash?"...
I guess boeing and airbus couldn't get around those darn cellphone signals!! - and yet they allow these potentially "LETHAL" devices on a plane... (Don't let the terrorists know this!)
Is this an argument for adults??? 88mm let alone 35mm shells costs significantly less than cell phones and have been proven (not just by studies and committees talking) to bring down thousands of planes.
If a guy tells an FA "please divert this plane to Vegas!... or i'll turn on my phone and try making a call!..".... seriously?
Try it! See how many laughs you get.

But to stay mature: no cell phone, not even an evil one without certification would impact the engine performance or aerodynamics of a plane. A transmitter going berserk during an IFR landing has a non-zero chance of rendering beacon readings inaccurate. Not a large chance, not one in a 100 or 1000 but large enough to cap the use. And cellular transmitters are powerful very unlike WiFi antennas.
Old May 1, 2015, 5:42 am

Programs: UA GS 4+ MM
So, is streaming pandora music over the plane's wifi network against UA policy? I believe this is a fairly widespread practice and interested to know if this is either illegal or could interfere with airline communications. Bose headphones so no one is disturbed.
Old May 1, 2015, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by dkc715
So, is streaming pandora music over the plane's wifi network against UA policy? I believe this is a fairly widespread practice and interested to know if this is either illegal or could interfere with airline communications. Bose headphones so no one is disturbed.
According to the UA policy, yes, it is against it, per the FAQ:

Why can't I use Netflix or other streaming video websites?
Live video and Internet streaming services are not permitted. Streaming video from a website requires extensive bandwidth and will not work as well on a plane as it does on the ground.
Don't know if this is necessarily widespread, and can't imagine the bandwidth for a stream like this consistently exists in an aircraft - I'd expect lots of pauses, etc. Nor is it really reasonable to take up that much bandwidth, IMO. Interfere with aircraft communications? Not more than any other site, but it would likely interfere with the ability for other pax to get a decent connection on the same flight.
Old May 1, 2015, 7:43 am

Programs: UA-GS 1MM), Hertz Pres Circle, Starriott Titanium)
Two passengers having a loud obnoxious conversation or One passenger having a loud obnoxious conversation? Whats the difference. The plane is a glorified Greyhound bus... I'm not going to get all up in arms if someone takes a voice call.

That said, it is a moot point anyway, since nobody under 30 seems to know that their phones are capable of voice communications. A generation of texters will solve this issue.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.