Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[CONSOLIDATED] United WiFi and phone calls: WiFi Calling, VOIP apps, & etc discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2016, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Can I use my cell phone or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service for voice communications or videoconferencing while inflight?
Although you are allowed to use your cell phone in airplane mode for activities such as surfing the Internet and sending email, we do not allow the use of our onboard Internet service for voice communication or videoconferencing through a cell phone, VoIP or any similar service. Voice and video calls are not permitted. By purchasing an Internet plan and accessing our service on board, you agree not to make voice or video calls, including but not limited to VoIP, in flight.
Print Wikipost

[CONSOLIDATED] United WiFi and phone calls: WiFi Calling, VOIP apps, & etc discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:39 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by SFO 1K
I have on multiple occasions attended web based business meetings over United WiFi from my iPad where audio was delivered over an https connection. I didn't need to speak, but I needed to listen and observe what was being presented.

Am I violating United's policy?
yes, this is fairly clear cut (one can discuss if the policy is appropriate but the policy is clear)

UA's Inflight Wi-Fi
If you purchase an Internet plan on board, you can surf the Internet and send emails. Please note that we do not allow the use of our onboard Internet service for voice communication or videoconferencing through a cell phone, Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) or any similar device or service. Voice and video calls are expressly prohibited.
and
Can I use my cell phone or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service for voice communications or videoconferencing while inflight?

Although you are allowed to use your cell phone in airplane mode for activities such as surfing the Internet and sending email, we do not allow the use of our onboard Internet service for voice communication or videoconferencing through a cell phone, VoIP or any similar service. Voice and video calls are not permitted. By purchasing an Internet plan and accessing our service on board, you agree not to make voice or video calls, including but not limited to VoIP, in flight.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 10:54 pm

Programs: BA/AA/UA
God willing, I'll be past my frequent-flying age before yakking on cell phones (however transmitted) becomes ubiquitous in the air. God willing.
Old Apr 29, 2015, 11:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Virgin Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
yes, this is fairly clear cut (one can discuss if the policy is appropriate but the policy is clear)

UA's Inflight Wi-Fi

and
Appreciate that the policy is clear, but now to appropriate: is listening to a podcast different from listening to an earnings call different from listening to a conference call (without talking)? (of course, talking on the call may be more disruptive - more of a political discussion than policy though)
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA GM, AA GM, DL GM
Originally Posted by kon104
Appreciate that the policy is clear, but now to appropriate: is listening to a podcast different from listening to an earnings call different from listening to a conference call (without talking)? (of course, talking on the call may be more disruptive - more of a political discussion than policy though)
I think there are two reasons why airline rules prohibit video/voice calls:
1. Disturbing other passengers.
2. Bandwidth issues. According to Skype, video calling requires at least 128 kbps. It doesn't take many simultaneous video calls to cause issues for others who want to surf the web and/or send some emails. Listening to a podcast downloaded before the flight obviously wouldn't cause any issues, listening in on a conference call may cause issues if a lot of people do it.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 3:40 am

Programs: UA 1K MM, SQ PPS, CX Silver, Accor Platinum, Marriott Gold, SPG Silver
I'd like to point out emirates allows voice cellular calls, over their on board cell network. I've neither been bothered by anyone, nor seen anything saying you could not do it over US airspace.

While I don't have any major love does the idea of people sitting next to me gabbing, the amount of vitriol in this thread is laughable (and I've made both Skype and FaceTime calls once or twice in urgent work situations in C over the pacific). I Kept it short and quiet, and no one scowled. VPNs have their benefits!
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:15 am

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Avis First, Hertz PC
Is it possible the FA thought it was a cellular call?

I always assumed FAs (and most folks) understood that land based cellular service did not work beyond 2-3 miles from a tower.

During the Malaysian 370 discussions, so many Americans were asking about cell phone access over the Indian ocean, underwater, etc that I started to wonder if many folks think cell phones are magical devices that can access their networks from anywhere. This may be a case of lack of education on the subject.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:28 am

Programs: UA GS, Marriott LP, Hertz Gold
"Pretty sure voice communication is against FAA regulations."

It's all data, nothing different, bytes and bits. Against policy, of course, per the written rules, probably because of annoying other passengers and a bandwidth hog if everyone did it. Other than that, VoIP is basically every call in the world these days.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 4:59 am

Programs: UA 1K
Consensus here is that it really is against the law ("illegal") to violate an airline regulation which has been vetted by the FAA (a "rule").

Not 100% sure what specifically the law is. Maybe have a look at CFR title 14 somewhere near section 121 and let us know what you find out.

Also not sure what penalty you (or the airline) face for violation of the law. You are required by U.S. law to face the American flag whenever the national anthem is being played, https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/36/301 , but there are no penalties.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 6:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Making any sort of calls during a flight should be illegal.
Meh.

Flew EK twice recently where cell phones may be used and service is even available.

No one abused it.

I am not opposed to cell phones onboard.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I hope they offload any pax immediately and ban him/her from flying UA again in the future. This kind of behavior is just unacceptable.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:14 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AC E50k, A3*G, UA*S, MR Titanium, HHonors Gold, Carlson Gold, NEXUS
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BB10; Touch) AppleWebKit/537.35+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/10.2.1.3442 Mobile Safari/537.35+)

Originally Posted by cfischer
I hope they offload any pax immediately and ban him/her from flying UA again in the future. This kind of behavior is just unacceptable.
Mid-air?
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:40 am
Suspended

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Meh.

Flew EK twice recently where cell phones may be used and service is even available.

No one abused it.

I am not opposed to cell phones onboard.
I have also experienced people who use cell phones in public places and who don't abuse it. However, I have been in plenty of situations where it is abused and annoying. A plane isn't like many other places where you can get up and move - and there are already inherent stresses to flying, including forced close proximity to others.
Count me in as someone who hopes to be dead before the use (and abuse) becomes widespread. I have a pretty important job and need to be in close contact most of the time, but I know the world will continue to rotate even if I'm unreachable for periods of time.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 8:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by HelloItsMe
I have also experienced people who use cell phones in public places and who don't abuse it. However, I have been in plenty of situations where it is abused and annoying. A plane isn't like many other places where you can get up and move - and there are already inherent stresses to flying, including forced close proximity to others.
Count me in as someone who hopes to be dead before the use (and abuse) becomes widespread. I have a pretty important job and need to be in close contact most of the time, but I know the world will continue to rotate even if I'm unreachable for periods of time.
Agree 100%.

There is some percentage of people who insist on yelling into their cell phones. I've sat next to that passenger before, and the time on the ground before they close the door is just miserable.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:14 am

Programs: UA 1k, SPG Plat 100
Originally Posted by pewpew
Mid-air?
You bet.

Anyway, was your friend breaking the law? No. Was he breaking UA WiFi ToS? Yes. Was he being inconsiderate? Yes.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:40 am
Suspended

FA "Whatsapp call during Flight - Against the law"

Wasssssupppppp......... True!!!!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.