Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[CONSOLIDATED] United WiFi and phone calls: WiFi Calling, VOIP apps, & etc discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2016, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Can I use my cell phone or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service for voice communications or videoconferencing while inflight?
Although you are allowed to use your cell phone in airplane mode for activities such as surfing the Internet and sending email, we do not allow the use of our onboard Internet service for voice communication or videoconferencing through a cell phone, VoIP or any similar service. Voice and video calls are not permitted. By purchasing an Internet plan and accessing our service on board, you agree not to make voice or video calls, including but not limited to VoIP, in flight.
Print Wikipost

[CONSOLIDATED] United WiFi and phone calls: WiFi Calling, VOIP apps, & etc discussion

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:12 pm

Has anyone tried to use WIFI calling on United recently? Either WIFI call or through google voice?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:51 am

Originally Posted by tovo
Has anyone tried to use WIFI calling on United recently? Either WIFI call or through google voice?
I have done it before, back in February 2017. I was on a UA flight AKL to SFO and there was a travel emergency back at the office requiring me to call WS to get employees rebooked for a company retreat that was to happen the following day. I enabled wifi calling on my phone and connected to UA wifi. Phone call went through fine and was working for about 15 to 20 minutes before it started becoming unreliable.

That being said, I would not condone such behaviour normally but this was a serious emergency given the situation. It literally came up in the last minute and there was a lot on the line if the travel plans went sideways there. IIRC my boss moved from the Polaris cabin they were seated in, to my E+ seat in order to hover over me so that when the FA inevitably came around he could calm them down and explain the situation to them. Fortunately, calmer heads prevailed and I managed to get all of that sorted.

Ever since then I've never even thought about using wifi in-flight - only reserve it for absolute emergencies and only do so if you can have someone explain to the FA what's going on whilst you are on the phone. Talking on the phone in confined spaces be it a lounge or an airplane is just a no-no from an etiquette standpoint.

Safe Travels,

James
bdw1120 likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:03 am

I was just thinking of using it for extreme emergency. If I need to call back right way I will. Otherwise, I will wait until landing. I want to make sure that the voip voicemail or through google voice voicemail works while connected to united wifi.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:12 am

I was just thinking of using it for extreme emergency. If I need to call back right way I will. Otherwise, I will wait until landing. I want to make sure that the voip voicemail or through google voice voicemail works while connected to united wifi.
Then yeah it should work supposing wifi is operating normally. IIRC there was some latency with the call. Not enough that the call was unusable but certainly a noticeable latency that you have to adjust yourself for.

-James
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Honestly, putting the issue of rules and etiquette aside, relying on UA wifi for anything vital or an emergency is not a good idea. The most likely probability is it will not be working at all, and if it's even on, the connection will either fail or be unreliable beyond dial-up speed.
Xyzzy likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:16 am

Originally Posted by bocastephen
Honestly, putting the issue of rules and etiquette aside, relying on UA wifi for anything vital or an emergency is not a good idea. The most likely probability is it will not be working at all, and if it's even on, the connection will either fail or be unreliable beyond dial-up speed.
Agree with you there! Heck even Skype tells you that it's not meant to be used for emergency calls and the service is primarily used on terrestrial networks! That being said, if you're at 40,000 feet your options for calling are limited as it is, especially now that UA got rid of the Verizon satellite phones they used to have in the good ol' days. Better something than nothing!

-James
Old Mar 3, 2019, 10:57 am

Do you think at least text messaging through VOIP or Google voice is more reliable?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Do you think at least text messaging through VOIP or Google voice is more reliable?
Only if wifi is actually working - the problem is, most of the time it's just inoperable and there is no way to connect with the ground.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 1:46 pm

Only if wifi is actually working - the problem is, most of the time it's just inoperable and there is no way to connect with the ground.
I see what you mean. Lets say if WIFI is connected good to the ground. Would you say texting is more reliable than trying to communicate with VOIP via WIFI carrier or Google voice?
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA 4.3MM LT-GS; AA1MM; Amtrak SE; MAR LT TITAN; PC Plat; HIL DIA; HYA GLOB
About a month ago I was on a TPAC flight. An FA walked up to a pax clearly doing VOIP and said that if he didn't stop immediately, she'd get the captain to have authorities meet the plane and arrest him upon touchdown.
Old Mar 9, 2019, 11:34 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA MM Gold; Marriott Lifetime Titanium; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by j2simpso
there was a travel emergency back at the office requiring me to call WS to get employees rebooked for a company retreat that was to happen the following day.

That being said, I would not condone such behaviour normally but this was a serious emergency given the situation.
That is no way a "serious emergency" or an emergency at all.

If that is the type of "emergency" that would justify a VOIP call, then the rule should just be removed entirely.

But it hasn't been and it won't be. If one drops dead on a flight, the world will actually manage to go on.
fezzington likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.