Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[CONSOLIDATED] United WiFi and phone calls: WiFi Calling, VOIP apps, & etc discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2016, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Can I use my cell phone or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service for voice communications or videoconferencing while inflight?
Although you are allowed to use your cell phone in airplane mode for activities such as surfing the Internet and sending email, we do not allow the use of our onboard Internet service for voice communication or videoconferencing through a cell phone, VoIP or any similar service. Voice and video calls are not permitted. By purchasing an Internet plan and accessing our service on board, you agree not to make voice or video calls, including but not limited to VoIP, in flight.
Print Wikipost

[CONSOLIDATED] United WiFi and phone calls: WiFi Calling, VOIP apps, & etc discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 12, 2015, 4:45 pm

Programs: Former 1k, Lifetime UA Gold, Starwood Gold; Avis Preferred; Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Ask the offender to step outside to take his call.
Love it! ^
Old Aug 13, 2015, 8:22 am

Programs: UA .5M, Vistana 1-Star owner
UA can make the T&C's allow only menial text-based surfing, but I'm glad they're so dysfunctional in coordinating with the provider that they can't practically stop VOIP. Now there's a change we like!
Old Dec 13, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: HiltonSilver, MariottGold, HyattPlat, KimptonTier3, UA 1K, HertzGold,AvisPres
AT&T Wi-Fi Calling and United Wi-Fi

So... A little while ago AT&T activated Wi-Fi calling. I didn't know until I had a pop up on my phone to activate it. A few days later I was on a flight IAH-FLL. I hadn't noticed that once I activated wifi in flight, my phone was displaying AT&T Wi-Fi until my phone started vibrating for an incoming call. Out of curiosity if it would even work, I answered the call.

It was a friend of mine and co-worker, clear as a bell, asking when I'd get to the office. I explained that'd be a little difficult from where I was and he said "man, what's that noise? Sounds like a jet engine." I said it was funny he should mention that... And explained where I was. I kept it brief and got off the phone. I've had other calls since then ring my phone, but haven't answered.

I thought it interesting that it works and actually works extremely well. I'm sure UA will block it at some point and they probably should. Anyone else give this a try on purpose (knowing it's against the rules) or by accident (out of curiosity)?

Last edited by p924s87; Dec 13, 2015 at 12:38 pm
Old Dec 13, 2015, 12:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Gold
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...wifi/faqs.aspx

Can I use my cell phone or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service for voice communications or videoconferencing while inflight?
Although you are allowed to use your cell phone in airplane mode for activities such as surfing the Internet and sending email, we do not allow the use of our onboard Internet service for voice communication or videoconferencing through a cell phone, VoIP or any similar service. Voice and video calls are not permitted. By purchasing an Internet plan and accessing our service on board, you agree not to make voice or video calls, including but not limited to VoIP, in flight.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 12:26 pm

Programs: HiltonSilver, MariottGold, HyattPlat, KimptonTier3, UA 1K, HertzGold,AvisPres
Yes, I know it's "against the rules" hence why I only answered a call once out of curiosity and have never otherwise attempted to use VoIP in flight, so not what I asked, but thanks.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
It's interesting to note that the prohibition as written only applies to making a call, not to receiving one. (Or at best, it contradicts with the "we do not allow" clause.)
Old Dec 13, 2015, 12:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat, Marriott Gold
Carrier wifi calling (3GPP/IMS) is done over a VPN, so UA can't inspect the traffic. Same reason you can stream video or whatever else is prohibited over a VPN.

They could block connections to the carrier's VPN endpoint for all protocols, but they haven't done so yet.
Old Dec 13, 2015, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by mduell
Carrier wifi calling (3GPP/IMS) is done over a VPN, so UA can't inspect the traffic. Same reason you can stream video or whatever else is prohibited over a VPN.

They could block connections to the carrier's VPN endpoint for all protocols, but they haven't done so yet.
That's very interesting. I don't know why I didn't think about that, but makes complete sense that is how the call is handled. That's how their femtocells work. I do like that text messages (real ones) work when it's on as well.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Facetime in Flight

Last night I flew UA 870 (SYD-SFO) in BF. Not long after take off the person next to me connected to United Wi-Fi on his cell phone and then immediately starts a Facetime conversation with his wife which lasted a good 10 min or more. Subsequently, he called her again as well as a friend. Personally I find cell phone conversations extremely intrusive and annoying and even more so in the confines of an aircraft with the culprit in close proximity and nowhere to escape to. I guess I could have expressed my displeasure to this person but not knowing how they would react and having to be seated next to them for 13 hours I decided to not say anything. In addition, it is not clear to me whether or not UA has a policy against the use of programs such as Facetime when connected to United Wi-Fi in flight. I certainly hope UA does have such a policy and I would be grateful if a more knowledgeable FTer could fill me in on this. At least if there was such a policy next time I would bring the matter to the attention of the FA.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 2:47 pm

Please note that we do not allow the use of our inflight Internet service for voice communication or videoconferencing through a cell phone, Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) or any similar device or service. Voice and video calls are expressly prohibited.
https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...i/default.aspx
Old Nov 10, 2016, 2:52 pm

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
United WiFi TOS explicitly forbid the use of VoIP.
From https://www.united.com/web/en-US/con...wifi/faqs.aspx

edit: 474SP beat me to it.
Let the crew handle this. Get up, flag a FA and ask them to remind the offending passenger that using facetime in flight isn't allowed.

Last edited by bhomburg; Nov 10, 2016 at 2:57 pm
Old Nov 10, 2016, 2:56 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
I'd quietly mention it to an FA after the first 60 seconds that it continued.

Either that, or you could have begun yelling "Aussie! Aussie! Aussie! Oi! Oi! Oi!" to drown out the conversation.

God forbid phone calls ever begin to be allowed.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 2:57 pm

Programs: None - previously UA
I would have thought United would have blocked Facetime?

My guess is Apple uses a range of IP's and ports for different services, so disabling Facetime probably means disabling access to Apple store and other stuff as well.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Not only mention it to the FA, but also worth a note to UA.

This one cries out for a tech solution too. People need to complain loud & clear before this becomes the norm.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA, 1K 2MM
Thanks All! That is great news and information to have on board for next time this happens (as I am sure it will). I will now have no qualm in taking appropriate action.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.