FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - [CONSOLIDATED] United WiFi and phone calls: WiFi Calling, VOIP apps, & etc discussion
Old Mar 3, 2019, 3:51 am
FlyerTalker70

Originally Posted by tovo
Has anyone tried to use WIFI calling on United recently? Either WIFI call or through google voice?
I have done it before, back in February 2017. I was on a UA flight AKL to SFO and there was a travel emergency back at the office requiring me to call WS to get employees rebooked for a company retreat that was to happen the following day. I enabled wifi calling on my phone and connected to UA wifi. Phone call went through fine and was working for about 15 to 20 minutes before it started becoming unreliable.

That being said, I would not condone such behaviour normally but this was a serious emergency given the situation. It literally came up in the last minute and there was a lot on the line if the travel plans went sideways there. IIRC my boss moved from the Polaris cabin they were seated in, to my E+ seat in order to hover over me so that when the FA inevitably came around he could calm them down and explain the situation to them. Fortunately, calmer heads prevailed and I managed to get all of that sorted.

Ever since then I've never even thought about using wifi in-flight - only reserve it for absolute emergencies and only do so if you can have someone explain to the FA what's going on whilst you are on the phone. Talking on the phone in confined spaces be it a lounge or an airplane is just a no-no from an etiquette standpoint.

Safe Travels,

James