Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

[CONSOLIDATED] United WiFi and phone calls: WiFi Calling, VOIP apps, & etc discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 10, 2016, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: WineCountryUA
Can I use my cell phone or Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) service for voice communications or videoconferencing while inflight?
Although you are allowed to use your cell phone in airplane mode for activities such as surfing the Internet and sending email, we do not allow the use of our onboard Internet service for voice communication or videoconferencing through a cell phone, VoIP or any similar service. Voice and video calls are not permitted. By purchasing an Internet plan and accessing our service on board, you agree not to make voice or video calls, including but not limited to VoIP, in flight.
Print Wikipost

[CONSOLIDATED] United WiFi and phone calls: WiFi Calling, VOIP apps, & etc discussion

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2015, 9:58 am

Several of y'all are freaking out and Emirates has put mini cell towers on a bunch of their 777s and A380s.

http://www.emirates.com/us/english/f...connected.aspx
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Between AUS, EWR, and YTO In a little twisty maze of airline seats, all alike.. but I wanna go home with the armadillo
Programs: CO, NW, & UA forum moderator emeritus
Originally Posted by wcalvert
Several of y'all are freaking out and Emirates has put mini cell towers on a bunch of their 777s and A380s.

http://www.emirates.com/us/english/f...connected.aspx
Yep - but then again hyperbole and FT have gne together for years.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by UA1K_no_more
I think there are two reasons why airline rules prohibit video/voice calls:
1. Disturbing other passengers.
2. Bandwidth issues. According to Skype, video calling requires at least 128 kbps. It doesn't take many simultaneous video calls to cause issues for others who want to surf the web and/or send some emails. Listening to a podcast downloaded before the flight obviously wouldn't cause any issues, listening in on a conference call may cause issues if a lot of people do it.
Most podcasts seem to be encoded to 64 or 96kbps, so not all that far off from a voice call. I'd say download your podcast before the flight rather than trying to stream or download while in flight. It's possible, though, and does take significantly less bandwidth than a voice call. Video is much much greater suck on bandwidth, of course.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:25 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by China Clipper
God willing, I'll be past my frequent-flying age before yakking on cell phones (however transmitted) becomes ubiquitous in the air. God willing.
+1 ^ Those aluminum tubes are one of the last 'quiet' places on earth, and I like it that way.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 10:56 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.997MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
Meh.

Flew EK twice recently where cell phones may be used and service is even available.

No one abused it.

I am not opposed to cell phones onboard.
I have seen / hear plenty of undesirable cell phone behavior in UCs or other lounges that I would rather not experience in the confined space of an aircraft.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 11:26 am
Suspended

how come when i hit call on whatsapp it uses the normal cellular call function, versus a voip?
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by Doc Savage
Making any sort of calls during a flight should be illegal.
^

Some people have to feel important though.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Hertz PLAT, Mile Runner, Blue Screen.
Originally Posted by Boo_Radley
You bet.

Anyway, was your friend breaking the law? No. Was he breaking UA WiFi ToS? Yes. Was he being inconsiderate? Yes.
1st off -- question? Is it inconsiderate to talk to your girlfriend if she's sitting next to you on a flight JFK-LAX - assuming your keeping your tone normal, or lower?

I don't understand why you think a cell phone should be so different, as well this was a day flight and Since when were flights "no talk zones".
Regarding people who shout at their cell phones - the same people would shout at the person next to them and laugh loud enough at their AVOD's to interfere with the planes signals.
Others bring their noise spreading headphones on board and put it really loud too - acknowledged there are public peace abusers.

Planes are not libraries. i would have no problem if someone spoke - quietly on the phone. it's not inconsiderate. especially on international flights, plug in your headphones and enjoy your AVOD.

Re: FCC law. since this was Voip - it may not fit in the category of the ban, as it seems the intention of the law, was to forbid cellular usage - not data. Cellular connections were presumed to possibly effect the planes signals. voip is data - hence it may not fit into the ban.

Re: United rules - this is not the law. The FA i doubt was dumb enough to think the cellular network was working at 30,000 feet or what not. But ok - united's policy clearly forbids this anyway.

So here's the next question. Because there will be people who abuse it, should all passengers NOT be able to be as productive during flights?

I see a time when flights have not just a seat and wifi for social network browsing, but 1gbs wifi, the tray table has a touch sensitive keyboard, and from takeoff to landing your able to plow away at work on a 17 inch IPS screen on the back of the chair in front of you, to which you connect your "rasberry pi" or your new microsoft or apple equivalent and run your regular desktop from the cattle cabin - and attend web conferences from the inbuilt webcam in front of you.

One of the benefits of flying verses for example driving - is that while flying you should be able to and can already be much more productive, anyone who takes the subway will tell you how much they read or get done on the way to and from work - vs sitting in traffic thats a great utilization. This will be a great benefit of automatic cars, and should in the 21st - be a benefit of flying.

For a NYC-LAX Flight - I want to see an office, not a bed on the next new cabin rollout...
That upgrade would easily go as a business expense - imagine not paying to upgrade from coach to premium economy for more legroom but rather to "economy work" where you can actually be super productive for your 6hrs in the air. If you run your own business this is a very valuable offer.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:58 pm

Programs: AADULtArer
Couple of people arguing that VOIP is not a voice call, but a data call...

"By purchasing an Internet plan and accessing our service on board, you agree not to make voice or video calls, including but not limited to VoIP, in flight."
Old Apr 30, 2015, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by LaserSailor
"By purchasing an Internet plan and accessing our service on board, you agree not to make voice or video calls, including but not limited to VoIP, in flight."
Far too complicated for some
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:18 pm

Programs: Milege+, SkyMiles, AAdvantage, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
RIGHT.
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:25 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium.;UA 1.5MM; UA Lifetime Gold (whoppee); DL Plat
+1 x100^
Old Apr 30, 2015, 1:43 pm

Programs: AA Reg
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
Far too complicated for some
^^^

Seriously. It's cut & dry against UA policy & definitely against the spirit of what FAA/FCC says.

Last edited by SmokeyTheBear; Apr 30, 2015 at 1:46 pm Reason: a word
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:02 pm

Programs: UA Gold, peon everywhere else
Originally Posted by SmokeyTheBear
^^^
Seriously. It's cut & dry against UA policy & definitely against the spirit of what FAA/FCC says.
?? I had always assumed the "spirit" of the FAA/FCC were doing was preventing interference with flight electronics and stressing the cell networks (neither of which is an issue here). They couldn't care less about preserving a pleasant atmosphere for other passengers... (although it's a nice side benefit)
Old Apr 30, 2015, 2:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
It's simple, really. People who wish to make phone calls during the flight should simply be required to step outside so they don't bother others.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.