Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect? (Archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

United to Hawaii in First Class - What to Expect? (Archive)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:43 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Portolan
Ouch! Like earlier posters have reported on, we'll be in F on IAD-HNL (B772) and HNL-DEN-IAD (B757 w/lie flat for the first leg). Never occurred to me that they'd not have pillows with lie flat seats...even worse to some extent than no pillow in a recliner since the full weight of your head isn't trying to find support on a recliner. Looks like time to invest in a couple of cheap, inflatable pillows.
I see today that United "fixed" my problem. We're now on a B772 for the overnight HNL-DEN leg...with recliners. No need to bring pillows since my head will be supported by my neck.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:46 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
Originally Posted by Portolan
I see today that United "fixed" my problem. We're now on a B772 for the overnight HNL-DEN leg...with recliners. No need to bring pillows since my head will be supported by my neck.
Not recliners. Barcalounger with head and footrest. But not like a lie-flat for sleeping.

Depending on when you're traveling, you could still get 772 HD with lie-flats or a swap to an international 772.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Kacee
Not recliners. Barcalounger with head and footrest. But not like a lie-flat for sleeping.

Depending on when you're traveling, you could still get 772 HD with lie-flats or a swap to an international 772.
OK, that sounds a bit better. And, as you say, maybe an aircraft substitution.
Old Aug 24, 2016, 11:04 am

Programs: UA Global Services, HH Diamond
2x4x2 F Seating

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
Wow - completely missed it. When they're mostly switched over, I might have to start transiting Honolulu more often. How many F seats?
It's 2x4x2 F seating though. Here's the seatmap:

Old Aug 25, 2016, 4:49 am

Programs: UA MP 1K
Partially correct. The wide-bodies seem to have pillows, but the narrow-bodies DEFINITELY do not. I fly the narrow-bodies at least twice a month from/to the Islands and they do not provision pillows - and have not, for years. You owe the FA an apology.

Good luck finding a LCC with lie flats.
Why? The FA at first told my wife he would look for the pillows and then told me that they stopped carrying them. What constitutes a reason for an apology?

A lie flat without a pillow is useless. It is Y masquerading as F with F pricing. My arm acted as pillow--it didn't work. It was too hard and by the end of the flight my neck hurt and my arm hurt and I barely got any sleep.

Calling this F is at best an outrage. At worst it is a lying outrage.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by euslaner
Calling this F is at best an outrage. At worst it is a lying outrage.
I'll take a lie-flat and no pillow over recliner F any day of the week.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:56 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by findark
I'll take a lie-flat and no pillow over recliner F any day of the week.
Same here, life-flat is so much better. Although that doesn't excuse UA from not stocking pillows.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:01 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by Taoyuan
Same here, life-flat is so much better. Although that doesn't excuse UA from not stocking pillows.
It does run counter to the purpose of having lie-flats.

But then I'm one who thinks it's a disgrace that the airlines don't stock pillows in Y, much less F. It's just cheap.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:27 am

Originally Posted by 1kBill

But then I'm one who thinks it's a disgrace that the airlines don't stock pillows in Y, much less F. It's just cheap.
Especially when you can get pillows in regular coach seats in Y on even short LH flights. When you pay for F with lie flat seats, you expect at least a pillow and a real blanket (as well as food that even Arby's wouldn't dare to sell).
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:35 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by 1kBill

Yeah, it is cheap, and I agree that it's ridiculous that pillows aren't provided with the lie-flat seats.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
When you pay for F with lie flat seats, you expect at least a pillow and a real blanket (as well as food that even Arby's wouldn't dare to sell).
Of course it's cheap of them not to provide pillows in any class, particularly a long haul like EWR-HNL. But what does "paying for F" have to with it?
Old Aug 25, 2016, 9:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
...A lie flat without a pillow is useless. It is Y masquerading as F with F pricing...
UA often charges about the same to Hawaii for a lie flat and a regular F seat ex-Denver and the West Coast. I agree the lack of pillow is annoying, but I'm sure just about anyone in coach would have gladly switched with you. I actually find the blanket useless as a blanket and use it for either lumbar support in regular F or coach, or as a pillow on a lie-flat. I always have a sweat hoodie for overnight flights because I find the planes often cold - the hood on the head does miracles, although I'm probably perceived as a dork by those who boarded with shorts and flops and who are trying to make the blanket work somehow.
Old Aug 25, 2016, 5:20 pm

Originally Posted by Kacee
Of course it's cheap of them not to provide pillows in any class, particularly a long haul like EWR-HNL. But what does "paying for F" have to with it?
When you pay for F, you expect certain amenities (I expect a pillow and a decent blanket as well as a meal where the meat tastes better than cardboard--and can be cut with the knife provided).

UA often charges about the same to Hawaii for a lie flat and a regular F seat ex-Denver and the West Coast. I agree the lack of pillow is annoying, but I'm sure just about anyone in coach would have gladly switched with you. I actually find the blanket useless as a blanket and use it for either lumbar support in regular F or coach, or as a pillow on a lie-flat. I always have a sweat hoodie for overnight flights because I find the planes often cold - the hood on the head does miracles, although I'm probably perceived as a dork by those who boarded with shorts and flops and who are trying to make the blanket work somehow.
I am sure that passengers in Y would gladly switch with me. Would they gladly pay increased fare? The purser gave me an extra blanket, but even the two thin blankets didn't function as a pillow.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 25, 2016 at 7:08 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member -- please use multi-quote
Old Aug 25, 2016, 5:48 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1K; Marriott Platinum; Hilton Gold
When you pay for F, you expect certain amenities (I expect a pillow and a decent blanket as well as a meal where the meat tastes better than cardboard--and can be cut with the knife provided).
I'll bet that when Mr. Pillows is on the Hawaii run, there are plenty of pillows in the F cabin at least.

See:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ws-lately.html
Old Aug 25, 2016, 8:00 pm

You should probably switch airlines.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.