Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, " off-pnr " [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, " off-pnr " [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 20, 2022, 4:09 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by nomad420
It was the mileage part. This has happened all be it rarely to me before that I have been right on the UA site looking at the miles needed to upgrade and the agent comes up with a different number, higher or lower (as in this case). Needless to say I just said go for it. Agree it is "puzzling" but why look a gift horse in the mouth.
Upgrade mileage only varies based on fares, a higher fare class can be lower mileage but the fare costs is generally higher.
Old Aug 9, 2022, 10:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
I have three co-workers on the same flight as me (different PNRs) in a few weeks. As a Silver, I can call and put them into Preferred Seats right now. Do I need their PNR, or are just names okay?

Then at T-24, I can select an E+ seat (if available), and my co-workers will remain in their Preferred Seats, right?

Edited to add: if you're seeing my other saga, I just paid a small fare change to upgrade myself to F (for the PQPs). Now that I'm sitting in F, can I still call in to move my co-workers to Preferred Seats?

Last edited by pseudoswede; Aug 10, 2022 at 8:50 am
Old Sep 9, 2022, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Extend 1K benefits to parents and different return dates?

So my parents want to go to Singapore with me. We're all going to depart together on the same day. However, I'll need to take UA2 to fly back sooner than they want. So is it possible to make such a booking and extend whatever 1K benefits to them?
Old Sep 9, 2022, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
What 1K benefits are you referring to?

They can board with you on the outbound if you tell the GA you're traveling together. Obviously doesn't work for the return since you won't be there.

They can have E+ seating with you on the outbound since you're on the same flight. Obviously doesn't work for the return since you won't be taking the same flight.

So what else were you hoping they could use? Baggage? Won't work. Sorry.

-RM
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 6:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL, OZ, AC, AS, AA, BA, Hilton, Hyatt, Marriott, IHG
Originally Posted by RobOnLI
What 1K benefits are you referring to?

They can board with you on the outbound if you tell the GA you're traveling together. Obviously doesn't work for the return since you won't be there.

They can have E+ seating with you on the outbound since you're on the same flight. Obviously doesn't work for the return since you won't be taking the same flight.

So what else were you hoping they could use? Baggage? Won't work. Sorry.

-RM
Yea, and I guess I'll need two separate bookings?
Old Sep 9, 2022, 6:47 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by lsquare
Yea, and I guess I'll need two separate bookings?
Yes, assuming that you get RT tickets rather than (probably much more expensive) OWs. Also, if you've already purchased your ticket, you can't add others to your PNR.
SPN Lifer and lsquare like this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 7:23 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
So my parents want to go to Singapore with me. We're all going to depart together on the same day. However, I'll need to take UA2 to fly back sooner than they want. So is it possible to make such a booking and extend whatever 1K benefits to them?
Problem solved: buy your parents business class tickets.

Seriously, in this situation, you can request for E+ and board together for outbound. If you are lucky, they may get the same luggage allowance for outbound but have to pay for excessive baggage for return (you can take some of their luggage with you).
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K (1MM), DL Gold (1MM), Marriott LTT
Yes, that's correct. You need separate bookings.

And as posted above, you can't add to your PNR. Not that it matters. You can still get them free E+ seating by calling the 1K line and providing both PNRs.

-RM
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 8:17 am

Programs: Former UA1K transitioning to WFBF mentality
Originally Posted by Kmxu
Problem solved: buy your parents business class tickets.

Seriously, in this situation, you can request for E+ and board together for outbound. If you are lucky, they may get the same luggage allowance for outbound but have to pay for excessive baggage for return (you can take some of their luggage with you).
FYI, ex-SIN tickets are pricey but there are a few deals ex-BKK and other nearby cities for sub US$1.5k oneway SQ J to US.
RobOnLI, Lori_Q and lsquare like this.
Old Sep 9, 2022, 11:26 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
As these will be separate PNRs, the wiki explains the limits benefits you can share with a passenger on the same flight(s) as you are traveling. If on different flights nothing can shared.
lsquare likes this.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:38 am

Has anyone tried this:

Book a RT ticket with multiple passengers using one person's status to get everyone into E+. Then, <24h from booking, call in, ask to tease out my ticket into business class in its last row (at least on the int'l leg while keeping the kids and wife in the front row of E+). At that point, would my ticket still show my original PNR (in order to keep shared benefits)?

Indeed, I know that if I am traveling with my family on any flight I am traveling, they will get E+ even if on diff PNRs after a call. And, wife would certainly sit in J on the outbound for those wondering. The issue is that on the return, I will most likely not be traveling with them, and I want them in E+ at time of booking to secure that benefit. Possible?
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dcpdxtrans
At that point, would my ticket still show my original PNR (in order to keep shared benefits)?
No.

The issue is that on the return, I will most likely not be traveling with them, and I want them in E+ at time of booking to secure that benefit. Possible?
Is It possible? It might work; it might not. Generally, if there's no equipment swap, and nobody goes in to look, the seat assignments probably won't change.

Is it ethical? That's an entirely different question.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 8:47 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
If you are all booked in Y and get E+, if you alone get upgraded they are unlikely to be booted from E+ absent irrops that causes a seat shuffle. I have done this even with non-companions (i.e., separate PNRs, request companion to E+ then get upgraded).

As to what is I think a separate question, are you proposing basically a dummy booking for you to get them E+, which you'll then cancel and fly on a separate flight? If done late, again they won't lose the "benefit" but this could run afoul of United rules.
Old Sep 23, 2022, 11:01 am

I think those are good points. It is not certain that I will be on a different flight on the return but very likely. Thus, it is not a dummy booking. I simply want to keep options open JIC. I think if it were certain I'm flying on a different return, that changes the calculus, and then I would readily agree that it would not be right since my intent, ab initio, was compromised. However, I will not know for a couple months...

On a separate issue, it would be nice if UA (and I guess all airlines) allowed one PNR to have different people in different classes of service (e.g., 2 in biz and 4 in eco or some revenue some award).
schalliol likes this.
Old Sep 26, 2022, 3:42 am

On a separate issue, it would be nice if UA (and I guess all airlines) allowed one PNR to have different people in different classes of service (e.g., 2 in biz and 4 in eco or some revenue some award).
The industry wide systems / GDS are inherently unable to di that. There is just a single field in the PNR for fare class. Ut would requirement a change for the entire industry for a small percentage of customers.
jsloan and dcpdxtrans like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.