Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, " off-pnr " [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, " off-pnr " [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2021, 3:51 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium & LTP, Hilton Diamond (Aspire card), Hyatt Globalist, UA Gold (almost free agent)
I bought first class ticket yesterday then today booked economy seat for my companion the same flights, not in the same cabin can I call to assign her E+ seat? She is waitlisted for first class seat (Polaris) using my Plus points but has slim chance I believe.
Old Aug 10, 2021, 3:59 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by tomwhom
I bought first class ticket yesterday then today booked economy seat for my companion the same flights, not in the same cabin can I call to assign her E+ seat? She is waitlisted for first class seat (Polaris) using my Plus points but has slim chance I believe.
Theorically no, in practice many agent will be a no but with enough tries you might be successul

The benefit was intended to have the companion sit with you in E+, but you are not in E+, so they can not sit with you.
tomwhom likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 1:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Getting close to a trip with 4 travelers on a single PNR, will the PNR try to split to place me+1 on the CPU list and if so would this cause the remaining two to lose baggage/premier access?

I realize that Silver on G fare is the effective bottom of the list, but the flight is West Coast Hawaii with 2/24 in F with a mostly empty Y cabin.
Old Aug 12, 2021, 2:16 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Merolis
Getting close to a trip with 4 travelers on a single PNR, will the PNR try to split to place me+1 on the CPU list and if so would this cause the remaining two to lose baggage/premier access? ...
No, you will be ineligible for pre-check-in CPU on a 4-passenger PNR. At checkin will be ask if you want to split PNR and waitlist (you and 1 companion).
Old Jan 18, 2022, 10:19 am

Programs: UA Mileage Plus
What happens when a Basic Economy ticket is added to a regular 1K reservation

I have a reservation in regular economy as a 1K. There is another party of 4 that want to buy this reservation in Basic Economy. The plan was to attach their reservation to mine so they get 1K benefits.

So the question is: Will these folks get 1K benefits, such as economy plus seating, CPU, baggage check in etc. with these tickets?
Old Jan 18, 2022, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by azfanboy
I have a reservation in regular economy as a 1K. There is another party of 4 that want to buy this reservation in Basic Economy. The plan was to attach their reservation to mine so they get 1K benefits.

So the question is: Will these folks get 1K benefits, such as economy plus seating, CPU, baggage check in etc. with these tickets?
Mostly no because they are on a separate PNR (there is no such thing as linked tickets / PNR) and Basic Economy restrictions will still apply

E+, CPU, free check bag -- no
Premier access when you are present -- maybe

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 18, 2022 at 10:31 am
Old Jan 18, 2022, 10:31 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by azfanboy

Nope to all. If you talk nicely with a gate agent before departure (assuming 4 E+seats are available), they may be able get E+ seats.

If you cancel your reservation and rebook your reservation in BE with them in a single PNR, they will get 1K baggage benefit. But you won’t get CPU.

What is the fare difference between regular E and BE? If you rebook in regular E with them, they will get E+ at booking and baggage benefit. You will still get CPU chance after splitting out yourself from the reservation.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 4:13 pm

Programs: UA Gold
Are the companion benefits (premier check-in, security and boarding) also applicable when flying codeshare, where we'd be checking in with the partner airline? Itin is IAD-MUC-FRA, all on LH.

Me: lowly Silver on award ticket (J / J)
Family member: no status, same flight, paid ticket (PE / Y)

My gut says no dice in this situation, but thought I'd at least ask.
Old Feb 1, 2022, 4:50 pm

Generally, premier check-in, security and boarding, is for *G (UA Gold and higher) for partners. *S benefits are very limited
Being a UA codeshare, partner operated does not change the situation.
You will get those benefits as a J customer

Companions on the same PNR can receive the elite benefits, on a different PNR YMMV (varies with partner)
IADdelayed likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 5:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Saipan, MP 96950 USA (Commonwealth of the Northern Mariana Islands = the CNMI)
Programs: UA Silver, Hilton Silver. Life: UA .57 MM, United & Admirals Clubs (spousal), Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
*S benefits are very limited
Being a UA codeshare, partner operated does not change the situation.
You will get those benefits as a J customer

Companions on the same PNR can receive the elite benefits, on a different PNR YMMV (varies with partner)
Specifically:

Priority Reservations Waitlist

Priority Airport Stand-by

These two benefits for Star Alliance Silver (*S) do not apply when travelling on an award ticket, and are subject to individual member carrier’s fare conditions and legal regulations.
Old Feb 2, 2022, 5:38 pm

Programs: United Premier 1K; Alaska MVP 75K; Hilton Honors Diamond; Hertz Pres Circle
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
Theorically no, in practice many agent will be a no but with enough tries you might be successul

The benefit was intended to have the companion sit with you in E+, but you are not in E+, so they can not sit with you.
For what it's worth, I've never been told no when I've asked for this. I've done this more than a dozen times.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 12:48 pm

Trying to do something which I've done 20 times today, call UA to move a family member/colleague to E+ with me on a separate PNR. Had no problem doing this last month. Was told it was supposed to be same PNR and required a one-time exception with documentation. Took 10 minutes to get done. That's a new one. Hopefully just a rogue agent on the premier line?
Old Mar 22, 2022, 12:58 pm

Programs: UA Premier 1K
I was given the "one-time exception" response when I made a similar request via Facebook chat back in September. Haven't had the need to try again since then.

I've done it enough times in the past that I have a template message put together that I can just swap out PNRs and flight numbers. Hopefully the benefit isn't disappearing.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 5:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AS 75K; UA 1MM; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott LTP; Hilton Diamond (Aspire)
I called last week to move my mom (1K) and her off-PNR companion to E+ on an international flight. It took over 25 minutes and there was a ton of pushback, including agent telling me "these seats cost a lot of money." I kind of lost it at that point, referenced 12 year consecutive 1K, and "this sort of nonsense is why I've moved most of my flying to AS and AA." Agent became more cooperative after that.
Old Mar 22, 2022, 6:10 pm

Originally Posted by whlinder
Trying to do something which I've done 20 times today, call UA to move a family member/colleague to E+ with me on a separate PNR. Had no problem doing this last month. Was told it was supposed to be same PNR and required a one-time exception with documentation. Took 10 minutes to get done. That's a new one. Hopefully just a rogue agent on the premier line?
This pops up from time to time over the years, there is no posted / published policy allowing for this and appears occasionally a new agent or one that feels this is inappropriate pushs back. Personally I would quickly HUCA.

The lack of a published policy makes this an awkward issue but I would guess the pushback is very rare based on reports in FT and easier to move on to another agent.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.