Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, " off-pnr " [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, " off-pnr " [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2021, 2:32 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by porciuscato
As a GS, I probably do this 10 times a year. II have never been denied. Not once.
GS / GS agents live by different rules than Plats, this is really an agent YMMV situation (for non-GS)
drewguy likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by raehl311
E and E+ are absolutely the same cabin. You can tell, because they have the same letter!
True. But OP is in Polaris, which doesn't have an E in it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by drewguy
True. But OP is in Polaris, which doesn't have an E in it.
I think we (Raehl and I) were thinking poster was saying E+ was a different cabin from E. My mistake, if misconstrued comment...
Old Jul 7, 2021, 3:31 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
I think we (Raehl and I) were thinking poster was saying E+ was a different cabin from E. My mistake, if misconstrued comment...
Ahh, I see how you could read it that way.

Of course, it takes about 15 seconds for an FTer to note that an E+ seat poacher is not just changing seats in in the "same cabin" . . .
Old Jul 9, 2021, 12:19 am

Programs: UA 1k
I pull my miles ticket children up to me (paid) in E+ all the time. Most agents by now do it easily, a few still claim it can not be done. HUCA.

If my upgrade clears, my kids stay in their E+ seat, they don't get moved which is great.

QUESTION: About to do this again. My plan is to book E+, call and get kids (mileage seats) moved next to me in E+. Once that is done, actually cancel my ticket and rebook it as a PP seat as I was planning to fly in PP TATL for this flight. You think kids will still be in their E+ seats they were moved to from earlier, or it'll be figured out and back they go? Any experiences with this?
Old Jul 9, 2021, 4:59 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by Channel 9
I pull my miles ticket children up to me (paid) in E+ all the time. Most agents by now do it easily, a few still claim it can not be done. HUCA.

If my upgrade clears, my kids stay in their E+ seat, they don't get moved which is great.

QUESTION: About to do this again. My plan is to book E+, call and get kids (mileage seats) moved next to me in E+. Once that is done, actually cancel my ticket and rebook it as a PP seat as I was planning to fly in PP TATL for this flight. You think kids will still be in their E+ seats they were moved to from earlier, or it'll be figured out and back they go? Any experiences with this?
it is not a good idea because PNRs are crossed referenced. You can upfare to PP with the same reservation, similar to upgrade to Polaris.
Old Jul 9, 2021, 6:43 am

No experience but seems like the kind of thing that could get you flagged if repeated or it becomes obvious.

Also, are your kids old enough not to be unaccompanied? Will system flag them if you drop your reservation?
Old Jul 9, 2021, 8:46 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat

In the shortterm they may be OK, however if a seat sweep occurs -- for various reasons, including the assignment of a new aircraft even of the same type, they will be bounced back to E-. That could be close to departure and the seating options many be poor.

Originally Posted by Kmxu
it is not a good idea because PNRs are crossed referenced. You can upfare to PP with the same reservation, similar to upgrade to Polaris.
Everyone on the same PNR must be in the same cabin / fare class / upgrade status. So if only one is upfared, it will require splitting the PNR.
"PNRs are crossed referenced", it is either the same PNR or separate, there is no cross referencing.

Originally Posted by drewguy
... Also, are your kids old enough not to be unaccompanied? Will system flag them if you drop your reservation?
Once on a different PNR, depending on age, they may not be able to check-in except at the airport and the UCM issue may occur. due to separate cabins.
UA unaccompanied minor (UCM) policy - nonstop only, age (now 14 & lower), same cabin
Old Jul 19, 2021, 2:28 pm

Programs: Cards: JPMR, United Quest, Chase Ink Bus Cash, Chase Freedom U, Citi Costco, AmEx Blue
Traveling w/ Family on Two PNRs, Premier Benefits?

I'm Premier Gold traveling with my immediate family of 5 in economy, but because I had a credit, I'm on a separate PNRs for the same flights.

I've received some conflicting information from United agents, and I wondered if you can point me in the right direction on the following:
  1. Bags: We'll have more than my 2 free bags, and one agent told me that the ticket counter agent will waive the fees for the others on the other PNR. Another one told me that's not true.
  2. Premier Access: Lines this summer are long, and on the bags we'll need to go together to the counter if they will waive bag fees. I'm assuming we can all use the Premier Access lane, but I'm not sure if that's true.
  3. Boarding Group: I'll be 1, but they'll be 3. One agent told me we can just come up together at 1. Is that true?
  4. United Club: I have a UC membership. Will my family be considered "with me" for entry purposes?
  5. Preferred Seating: A phone agent already allowed us to be together with a couple of us in E+ if we wanted in preferred seating, but I thought it would be good to log for future reference.
Thanks for any thoughts!
Old Jul 19, 2021, 2:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by schalliol
I'm Premier Gold traveling with my immediate family of 5 in economy, but because I had a credit, I'm on a separate PNRs for the same flights.

I've received some conflicting information from United agents, and I wondered if you can point me in the right direction on the following:
  1. Bags: We'll have more than my 2 free bags, and one agent told me that the ticket counter agent will waive the fees for the others on the other PNR. Another one told me that's not true.
  2. Premier Access: Lines this summer are long, and on the bags we'll need to go together to the counter if they will waive bag fees. I'm assuming we can all use the Premier Access lane, but I'm not sure if that's true.
  3. Boarding Group: I'll be 1, but they'll be 3. One agent told me we can just come up together at 1. Is that true?
  4. United Club: I have a UC membership. Will my family be considered "with me" for entry purposes?
  5. Preferred Seating: A phone agent already allowed us to be together with a couple of us in E+ if we wanted in preferred seating, but I thought it would be good to log for future reference.
Thanks for any thoughts!
Based on my experience and the rules:
  1. Free bags will only apply to the passenger(s) with the premier on the PNR. While an agent might waive the fee for the other travelers, I wouldn't count on it, AFAIK, that is not permitted by the rules, but an agent may waive them. YMMV.
  2. Agents will almost surely check you in together.
  3. GA will allow you to board together in the highest boarding group (ie, 1)
  4. For UA Club, surely your family is your family. I'm not sure if there is a limit to family guests or not, however.
  5. Based on the fact that the agent allowed 2 in E+, I assume you are gold (Platinum allows up to 8, gold just 2). Typically, agents will allow companions on a separate PNR to join a premier in E+ based on the amount allowed - at least all the reports in here over the years seem to reflect that- though typically, the rules only say 'companion' - I have never seen a separate PNR mentioned at all - either allowed or not. That said, watch the flight on a regular basis - any flight change (flight number, time change, and especially aircraft type/configuration change) often results in the non-PNR companion getting booted from E+. If there are no flight changes prior to departure, it shouldn't change.
Old Jul 19, 2021, 4:49 pm

Policy is just those on the same PNR as elite, some agents (but not kiosks) may extend that to family off-pnr, but you can not count on that. Make full use of the bag allowance of those on PNR, you will get 3 bags each.
Yes to both, standard benefit for all elites
Dependent childern yes, but not adult relatives
Policy is Golds are allowed 1 guest into E+. Golds can guest their entire PNR (and likely traveling companions) into preferred seating (which is not E+ but rather the rows of E_ just behind E+). Probably a limit of 8 companions.

a bit more in the thread's wiki
Old Jul 19, 2021, 7:04 pm

Programs: Cards: JPMR, United Quest, Chase Ink Bus Cash, Chase Freedom U, Citi Costco, AmEx Blue
Thanks, everyone!
Old Aug 4, 2021, 11:19 am

Programs: UA, HH & Marriott
Sorry for resurrecting an older thread, but I have a similar situation coming up. So does UA still allow this?

I'm looking to get Preferred Seats for my family of 3 (not including me) on a separate PNR. I'm a Gold currently and couldn't have my entire family in E+ even on the same PNR, but will be happy with just Preferred Seating for my family so that they can sit together. Thanks.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 12:22 pm

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by F23Coupe
Sorry for resurrecting an older thread, but I have a similar situation coming up. So does UA still allow this?

I'm looking to get Preferred Seats for my family of 3 (not including me) on a separate PNR. I'm a Gold currently and couldn't have my entire family in E+ even on the same PNR, but will be happy with just Preferred Seating for my family so that they can sit together. Thanks.
YES! Just call United. You cannot do it on App or web yourself.
Old Aug 4, 2021, 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by Kmxu
YES! Just call United. You cannot do it on App or web yourself.
Though even calling in will entitle you only to one companion in E+ (if you are UA Gold).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.