Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, " off-pnr " [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, " off-pnr " [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old May 24, 2023, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by howie411
So I have a few upcoming work trips that I plan on taking my family. I have to book my flight vi Concur at work which means my wife and daughter need to book separately on United.com The problem I'm running into is none of our perks extend to my wife and child if I'm not on the reservation.

For instance have have both a United Quest and United Club card, but my wife is the AU on both so it seems the free luggage and priority boarding etc don't convey to them since I'm not on the reservation.

How do folks typically handle this?
My solution: book family members in forward cabin on award tickets.
Old May 24, 2023, 3:44 pm

Programs: Honors LT Diamond; United 1K; Hertz PC
So I have a few upcoming work trips that I plan on taking my family. I have to book my flight vi Concur at work which means my wife and daughter need to book separately on United.com The problem I'm running into is none of our perks extend to my wife and child if I'm not on the reservation.

For instance have have both a United Quest and United Club card, but my wife is the AU on both so it seems the free luggage and priority boarding etc don't convey to them since I'm not on the reservation.

How do folks typically handle this?
What is your status? As a 1K my 3x70lb bags has never left me wanting more even when my wife is on a separate res (just check all of the bags under my PNR)... Pretty sure that benefit applies to Plat and maybe Gold as well.... So unless you need a *lot* of luggage or really want something checked under her name for some reason....

For priority boarding whether my spouse or coworker "[s]he is with me" on approaching the gate agent has never been turned away.

Priority security is the only benefit I can't think of a work around for -- but if spouse has PRE or CLEAR (or PRE CLEAR) probably moot anyway.
Old May 24, 2023, 3:55 pm

Programs: UA GS, MR TE, HH Diamond, IHG Gold, Hertz PC, National EE, Avis PC
Same as above, wife and kids just come with for priority check-in and priority boarding. And I use my 3 checked bag allowance for the fam. The only item you would need to call in for is to assign them complimentary E+ seating, tell the agent that they are your companions.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old May 24, 2023, 7:08 pm

Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
What is your status? As a 1K my 3x70lb bags has never left me wanting more even when my wife is on a separate res (just check all of the bags under my PNR)... Pretty sure that benefit applies to Plat and maybe Gold as well.... So unless you need a *lot* of luggage or really want something checked under her name for some reason....

For priority boarding whether my spouse or coworker "he is with me" on approaching the gate agent has never been turned away.

Priority security is the only benefit I can't think of a work around for -- but if spouse has PRE or CLEAR (or PRE CLEAR) probably moot anyway.
Only Silver Member unfortunately so I only get 1 bag if I'm not taking advantage of my credit card perks..
Old May 25, 2023, 12:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Only Silver Member unfortunately so I only get 1 bag if I'm not taking advantage of my credit card perks..
Well, have your wife apply for one of the Chase UA credit cards so she can get the benefits that bestow to credit card holders.

David
Old Jun 25, 2023, 10:23 pm

Programs: United 1k aa exec plat
questions:
. as 1k used my miles for son on UA int flight..understand that as not same PNR then he cannot sit in E+... reading here it seems if i was on same flight even on diff PNR then would be poss?
is that correct? actually have a different son who is 1k (gifted status) on a revenue tkt in e+ on same flight.could he bump the son on the award tkt without status to E+ ??
thanks
Old Jun 25, 2023, 10:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by bryanwallace
questions:
. as 1k used my miles for son on UA int flight..understand that as not same PNR then he cannot sit in E+... reading here it seems if i was on same flight even on diff PNR then would be poss?
is that correct? actually have a different son who is 1k (gifted status) on a revenue tkt in e+ on same flight.could he bump the son on the award tkt without status to E+ ??
thanks
Yes, a 1K traveler on the same flight may call the Premier line to ask for an off-PNR companion to move to E+ for no charge. (It gets a little tricky if the caller is in PE or J, but if the caller is in E+ and trying to sit together, it’s a common request easily granted). The source of the 1K status — gifted or not — is not relevant to the request.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 7:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Do I have to call?

Ran into a co-worker who went fully remote and moved to another state. We were on the same flight back to DEN, and I asked the gate agent to move her into E+ as my companion. The gate agent looked at me as if I had three heads and said that is not a benefit. After further pushing, she said she'd do it, but I (me, not the gate agent) would probably get in trouble with United for this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 7:35 am

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Do I have to call?

Ran into a co-worker who went fully remote and moved to another state. We were on the same flight back to DEN, and I asked the gate agent to move her into E+ as my companion. The gate agent looked at me as if I had three heads and said that is not a benefit. After further pushing, she said she'd do it, but I (me, not the gate agent) would probably get in trouble with United for this.
Where were you flying from? If it's a smaller station (e.g. staffed by UGE / Unifi / Etc. for ATW agents) this is one of those obscure corners of the airline that they are almost certainly not trained on, those agents don't have the lived experience to know about it, and there isn't automation to support it, so I'm not surprised and calling could have been the shortest distance between two points.

OTOH if this was a station staffed by mainline UA agents I'd be concerned -- I've had this "fixed" for me at the ticket counter, club, gate -- even a couple times at the Baggage Service office (long story...)

(When I first skimmed your post I thought you said from DEN and based on who/what I know about that airport and CS management I would have been borderline shocked to hear that -- UGE outstation on the other hand... nah, not surprised)
pseudoswede likes this.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by lincolnjkc
Where were you flying from? If it's a smaller station (e.g. staffed by UGE / Unifi / Etc. for ATW agents) this is one of those obscure corners of the airline that they are almost certainly not trained on, those agents don't have the lived experience to know about it, and there isn't automation to support it, so I'm not surprised and calling could have been the shortest distance between two points.
Thanks. This was at SDF, which I believe is an out-sourced outstation. Seems kind of silly to call when a gate agent is standing 10 feet from me.
Old Jun 26, 2023, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by pseudoswede
Thanks. This was at SDF, which I believe is an out-sourced outstation. Seems kind of silly to call when a gate agent is standing 10 feet from me.
I don't disagree... but a lot of the outsourced stations as soon as you deviate from the 95% script they can be at best hopeless and at worst dangerous.

E.g. for one UA controllable delay at a UGE station that was going to force a misconnect (the one and only FA for our CRJ-550 no call/no showed, solution was to steal an FA from the next inbound...), the UGE agent insisted that even on paid F they could only do Y on AA because "AA doesn't permit it and United can't book it". I did an in-person HUCA -- thanked her, told her not to touch the reservation, walked away "to think about the options" and called reservations. Guess what I got rebooked into without having to be overly annoying?
SPN Lifer and 49penguins like this.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 6:41 pm

Originally Posted by jsloan
Yes, a 1K traveler on the same flight may call the Premier line to ask for an off-PNR companion to move to E+ for no charge. (It gets a little tricky if the caller is in PE or J, but if the caller is in E+ and trying to sit together, it’s a common request easily granted). The source of the 1K status — gifted or not — is not relevant to the request.
promise this is my final question!!! can the 1k traveler also ask for pff PNR companion whos in BE to be moved to E+ for no charge??
thanks!
Old Jul 3, 2023, 6:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by bryanwallace
promise this is my final question!!! can the 1k traveler also ask for pff PNR companion whos in BE to be moved to E+ for no charge??
thanks!
of course you can ask . But it won’t be granted . Try at the gate … they might do it.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 3, 2023, 10:45 pm

understood -thanks-so the only way to be guaranteed getting moved up to Eplus as a 1kcompanion on separate PNR is to buy standard economy tkt-makes sense//thanks
jsloan likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 11:20 am

Programs: Chase and American Express
So i switched my flight to a flight with a friend and his family so we have different pnrs. I am silver so i get to choose economy plus at check in. Via chat i tried to get them upgraded but agent wouldn't do it.

Called the premier hotline and they did it no questions asked other than their pnr and confirmation of their name and birthday for security reasons. Was really surprised they upgraded all 3 to e+
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.