Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, " off-pnr " [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, " off-pnr " [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2023, 1:52 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by fbcooper
So i switched my flight to a flight with a friend and his family so we have different pnrs. I am silver so i get to choose economy plus at check in. Via chat i tried to get them upgraded but agent wouldn't do it.

Called the premier hotline and they did it no questions asked other than their pnr and confirmation of their name and birthday for security reasons. Was really surprised they upgraded all 3 to e+
As a Silver, you are only allowed to guest a single companion into E+. If you asked for multiple companions, the first agent was right and the second exceeded the policy. Don't expect that to happen again.

Note as a Silver, you can quest multiple passengers any time into the preferred seats.

Neither E+ or Preferred seats are considered an upgrade. The ticket is unchanged, it is the same cabin, same seat, same service levels and these are just seats with access fees for extra leg space.
SPN Lifer and lincolnjkc like this.
Old Jul 7, 2023, 6:42 pm

Programs: Chase and American Express
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
As a Silver, you are only allowed to guest a single companion into E+. If you asked for multiple companions, the first agent was right and the second exceeded the policy. Don't expect that to happen again.

Note as a Silver, you can quest multiple passengers any time into the preferred seats.

Neither E+ or Preferred seats are considered an upgrade. The ticket is unchanged, it is the same cabin, same seat, same service levels and these are just seats with access fees for extra leg space.
Yea thats why i was so surprised. But phone agent was super pleasant so i had a feeling she would do it. Plus e+ had wide open space. Currently 22 spots left open. Hoping it stays that so my middle stays empty.

Might not be an official upgrade but its still better than nothing. Definitely a nice gesture after all the recent delayed flights they been making me sit through these past several months.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 9:37 am

Status perks when travelling alongside someone on different PNR

Apologies if this has been asked before - if I have status with United and I'm travelling alongside my partner who's on a different PNR, can we still share the companion based benefits?

For example, priority check in, complimentary upgrades, access to economy plus etc?

We're on separate PNRs as we had an Amex offer when booking flights which made sense for us to book our individual tickets on our Amex's respectively.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Aug 10, 2023 at 11:23 am Reason: Moved to master thread on off-PNR benefits
Old Aug 10, 2023, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Assuming partner has no UA status...

Priority check-in: yes
Complimentary upgrade: no
Access to Economy Plus: yes (must call or ask at check-in desk or gate)
Boarding: yes (just mention partner is traveling with you)
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Aug 10, 2023, 11:24 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
From this thread's wiki summary
Originally Posted by wiki
These off-PNR benefits are limited to when you are also a traveler on the same flight/

An elite, if in E+ on the same flight, can guest a companion (a Plat & higher can do up to 8) into E+ for no extra fee, will require a phone call.
An elite, if in sitting in "preferred seats" on the same flight, can guest up to 8 companions into "preferred seats", for no extra fee, will require a phone call. Note this will not override Basic Economy restrictions.
The companion can accompany the elite thru check-in, security, and boarding.
If traveling international, one companion can accompany the Gold or higher elite to a lounge
On CPU flights, the elite can request a single off-PNR companion, on a paid ticket, to be added by the GA (only) to the gate list for upgrades (at elite's status) Not a formal policy but a practice some GAs will do - a carryover from pmCO days.

The things that will be, YMMV,
1) the check-in bag allowance. Sometimes the UA bag counter agent may extend the elite allowance, others per policy, will not. If originally on a common PNR, the policy allows extending the bag allowance, Check as many bags as allowed on the elite PNR.
2) Onboard, the food & beverage benefit for 1K/GSs is occasionally extended to the companion but this would not have been a benefit even on a common PNR.
Originally Posted by pseudoswede
.. Complimentary upgrade: no ...
May be possible, ask at the airport / gate. But nowadays keep expectation low. But travel to/from some smaller outstations have a slim chance.
jsloan likes this.
Old Jan 31, 2024, 6:42 pm

Programs: AA Gold
has anyone been able to get an off-pnr companion changed to the same flight the premier is SDC'ing to?
Old Feb 11, 2024, 1:42 am

Programs: UA Premier Gold
Question Booking Strategy UA Gold & Silver

Hello all,

I am a United Airlines Gold Mileage Plus member but I will be traveling to Europe in April with a Silver member. I would like to have us both assigned Economy Plus seats at time of booking but the person I am traveling with will return 4 or 5 days later than me. So, should I book our flights together and get our Economy Plus seats together and then change his return to a different flight a few days later. My goal is to have our E+ seats together for the first flight when we travel together. I realize that he will have to wait until T-24 check-in to possibly get E+ seats for his return flight. I understand that a schedule change could mess this up, but we are looking at traveling in April which I am hoping that the schedule is fairly set.

Also, we would be trying to upgrade on the outbound flights to Europe, so I would hope that both of our upgrades would be processed with my status as a Gold member versus being on two different PNRs.

Thanks for your insights.

misterfuss

Last edited by misterfuss; Feb 11, 2024 at 1:54 am Reason: Added info re: upgrades on outbound flights.
Old Feb 11, 2024, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by misterfuss
So, should I book our flights together and get our Economy Plus seats together and then change his return to a different flight a few days later.
That’s not necessary. You can book the flights as normal, and then call UA to ask for your friend to be seated with you on the outbound. This is a common courtesy routinely offered.

Originally Posted by misterfuss
Also, we would be trying to upgrade on the outbound flights to Europe, so I would hope that both of our upgrades would be processed with my status as a Gold member versus being on two different PNRs.
Here, the book-and-split maneuver might possibly help, as he might maintain your priority after the split if you’ve already applied the upgrade. However, I don’t know that I’d bother. There is an excellent chance that you’ll be adjacent on the priority list anyway, as the only people you’d skip over in this scenario would be Gold members in a lower fare class or Silver members in a higher fare class. Given how expensive mileage upgrades are, there’s a good chance that nobody from this relatively small group wlll have applied them.

BTW — even if your upgrades fail to clear, note that you’ll both be able to use the United Club on your outbound flight, as he can enter as your guest.
SPN Lifer, misterfuss and VRFast like this.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 9:52 pm

Programs: AA Gold
apparently a PCMS SSR is added for companions: "PCMS............** STATUS COMP **MP NUMBERFIRST LASTNAME" after check-in and still stays on after PNR split.

does this do anything at all? Companion's BP still shows their own status
Old Apr 7, 2024, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Only in irops, else no reason anyone will look at this.
SPN Lifer and leftysauce like this.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 6:04 am
Original Member

Programs: SPG/Marriott Lifetime Gold, Amtrak Guest Rewards, UA Silver
I am currently United Silver Premier. I am accompanying my partner (not a Premier member) to a conference in a few weeks; her company purchased United tickets for her and her co-workers (same record locator). I purchased my own ticket separately on the same itinerary. How might my partner and I link our reservations to possibly get an Economy Plus upgrade when I check-in? The flights are all domestic US.
Old Apr 17, 2024, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DivMiler
I am currently United Silver Premier. I am accompanying my partner (not a Premier member) to a conference in a few weeks; her company purchased United tickets for her and her co-workers (same record locator). I purchased my own ticket separately on the same itinerary. How might my partner and I link our reservations to possibly get an Economy Plus upgrade when I check-in? The flights are all domestic US.
Within 24 hours of departure, if there are E+ seats available that suit your fancy, select one of them during check-in and then call and ask for her to be seated next to you. Don't use the word 'upgrade' -- just say something like "My companion is booked on a separate reservation, could you please move her?" Have her last name and record locator (aka confirmation number / PNR -- six-character alphanumeric code) ready.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.