Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, " off-pnr " [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, " off-pnr " [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2020, 9:57 am
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by whlinder
... do traveling companions with linked PNRs get put on the upgrade list alongside me? I've linked so my family can get preferred seating, but never even considered the CPU part.
There is no such thing as "linked PNRs". It is a term some use but it is not a formal term / process.

The handling of off PNR companions is a manual process. You called and your companions were seated in "preferred seating" which Golds can do for up to 8 companions. It was not something you could do without an agent's assistance. The computer systems are unaware those individuals are connected / linked to you such as in irrops -- you will need mention you have traveling companions

As for CPU, at the gate (but not earlier), you may be able to request one of your companions (if on a paid ticket, not award) be added to the CPU waitlist. Many agents will do this but it is not a published benefit.
whlinder likes this.
Old Nov 12, 2020, 11:24 pm

I (Premier Gold) am traveling with friends (no status) who booked separately on the same flight— if I ask United to "link" the reservations will my upgrade request still clear if there is availability?

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 13, 2020 at 12:21 am Reason: Moved to master thread
Old Nov 13, 2020, 12:14 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Welcome to FT!, saitama
Originally Posted by saitama
I (Premier Gold) am traveling with friends (no status) who booked separately on the same flight— if I ask United to "link" the reservations will my upgrade request still clear if there is availability?
There is no actual concept of formally linking reservations / PNRS. Agents can put a note in the comment section of the PNR but it does nothing. Placing that comment in your PNR would not impact your upgrade chances nor provide an elite benefits to your friend.

However, you can "guest" a single friend into E+ (need to call to do that) and your friends can board with you. Some gate agents will also put a single friend on the gate upgrade list, at the bottom of your status group -- their is no formal policy to do this but some gate agents will.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Nov 13, 2020 at 12:23 am Reason: just a single friend
Old Nov 13, 2020, 12:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
However, you can "guest" your friend into E+ (need to call to do that) and your friend can board with you. Some gate agents will also put your friend on the gate upgrade list, at the bottom of your status group -- their is no formal policy to do this but some gate agents will.
Note also that, in either case, the benefit for Gold* will only apply to one other passenger (OP mentioned friends, plural, so I'm guessing that might be important). Also, while the ability to bring a guest into E+ is applicable on every flight, complimentary upgrades to first class are limited (long-haul flights, along with the premium service from NYC to SFO/LAX, is excluded).

Pre-COVID, early boarding benefits would have applied to everyone. Today, I'm not sure what boarding process they're following.

* At Platinum or higher, you'd be able to seat the entire party in E+, but you'd still only be able to get one other person onto the upgrade list (on a qualifying flight).
Old Jan 27, 2021, 2:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K; DL DM; IHG Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriott Gold; Hertz President's Circle
For E+ access, call now -- BTW strictly speaking you also need to be in E+.
If up front, the agent may decline. The idea of the benefit is to join you in E+. Agents can be all over the map if you are in a premium cabin.

The CPU companion upgrade can only be requested at the gate if separate PNRs.
Originally Posted by findark
Correct. They should have your companion priority (i.e. your elite status, but below all other non-companions). But since you can't do an off-PNR companion until the airport the odds of them clearing are slim to none.
Originally Posted by boat9781
Not the case. Companions added to the Upgrade Standby List at the gate are added at the tier of the elite member, but I believe behind all other elites at that same level, but ahead of the next tier down.
Originally Posted by delpiero223
We recently booked a an CPUable flight with three 1k members on a single booking and a non-Elite on seperate PNR.

Since the 4th traveller booked a couple of hours later, he was on a seperate booking. First / Business class was quite empty and there even remained some empty seats after upgrade list fully cleared.

We could easily get the Eco+ seat for hom. Trying to get him on the upgrade list was really frustrating however:
- 1K hotline told us to ask at the airport
- service desk at EWR couldn't assist, but asked us to call the 1K hotline instead
- Polaris lounge staff (after arriving internationally) couldn't assist unless the companion would show up as well. However lounge staff refused entry for him (since he didn't fly Polaris)
- no luck at the United Club
- Twitter team recommended to use PlusPoints for his upgrade, couldn't put him on the CPU list as well. But looks like you shouldn't rely on companion-CPU on seperate booking nowadays
- Gate Agent refused to put him on the upgrade list despite those empty seats + empty upgrade list

We finally managed to get him upgraded by asking the Purser while boarding.
All the approaches to others than the GA were bound to have met with failure. This has been a GA only "feature" and is not a published benefit. (It was a pmCO feature that was not formally carried over post-merger). And should never be an expected benefit. Best not to bring this up with others, could lead to a complete shutdown.

This was a pmCO practice but was not carried over formally post merger . It is YMMV

The Purser violated company policy.
How would one ask for their off-PNR companion to be added to the upgrade list? Is it just "Hi, my companion is flying with me on the same flight but different PNR, can you please add them to the upgrade list?"

I would expect ground staff at pmCO hubs like IAH or EWR would know how to do this since it was a pmCO practice, but from delpiero's post, it seems like it's really a YMMV situation. (Though, I've never encountered competent staff at EWR. LGA, IAH, and SFO staff have been helpful, IME; and DEN staff are knowledgeable but super by-the-book.)

This post seems to suggest other ground staff at the airport (besides GAs) can add off-PNR companion to the upgrade list, but that was from a while ago, so it might not be a thing anymore.
Old Jan 27, 2021, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by NYC2SGN
How would one ask for their off-PNR companion to be added to the upgrade list? Is it just "Hi, my companion is flying with me on the same flight but different PNR, can you please add them to the upgrade list?"...
Generally just at the gate and it seems more than pmCO agents know how to do this now

At some smaller airports, the GA may be doing check-in and may handle it at that time
Old Jan 27, 2021, 2:38 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Hertz, Avis, National, Hyatt, Hilton, SPG, Marriott
I used to know the SHARES command to add a companion on another record for CO Plat (I recall it was something that included "PLC") but I've long since forgotten. I think it's something an agent needs to switch into native SHARES to carry out, as it's not a incorporated into the AERO interface, and agents are now discouraged from "going native".
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 11:33 am

Programs: UA MM 1K; HA Pualani Gold, SWA A-List; Aloha Silver (RIP); HH Gold
Considered a "Companion" if booked in different class and payment?

If my adult son travels with me but I'm in Polaris (Paid) and he's in Economy (Points), can he get Economy Plus seating by me calling UA?

Thanks!
Old Jul 7, 2021, 11:36 am

Programs: UA LT 1K, 3 MM; Marriott Titanium; IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by 4BandE
If my adult son travels with me but I'm in Polaris (Paid) and he's in Economy (Points), can he get Economy Plus seating by me calling UA?

Thanks!
You are at the mercy of an agent. If he/she gives you a one-time exception, your son will be in an E+ seat. Technically, both are in the same cabin. Good luck (“hang up and call again” might be needed)!
Old Jul 7, 2021, 11:38 am

Thanks!
YMMV

The "intent" of this policy was to have your companion seated with you in E+. Suspect some agents will say no, but if you call a couple of times you might get lucky. Realize that if an aircraft change, even sometimes a tail number change, and the off-PNR companion will be reseated into E-, requiring another set of calls.
4BandE likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 11:59 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, AA, DL
Originally Posted by Kmxu
You are at the mercy of an agent. If he/she gives you a one-time exception, your son will be in an E+ seat. Technically, both are in the same cabin. Good luck (“hang up and call again” might be needed)!
They're not the same cabin. As WineCountryUA points out this request would be for something outside the policy. No issue if you (OP) were booked in economy - then it's routine.

I have been denied E+ for a "companion" (work colleague) in this scenario (though in J by upgrade). However, I have been able to do it and the companion hasn't lost E+ if I'm subsequently upgraded.
SPN Lifer, 4BandE and Kmxu like this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 1:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by drewguy
They're not the same cabin...
United considers E+ just a different seat in the same cabin, just as preferred seats are. They're all coach seats tied to coach fares (ie there's no fare code exclusive to E+) . Some coach cabin seats (E+ or preferred, or PE on flights not marketing PE) require a fee or status to sit in. A coach T fare passenger can sit in E-, E+ preferred, or PE seats (on flights not marketing PE). PE, however, IS a different cabin on those flights with fare codes tied specifically to the PE seats,. A coach passenger cannot just pay a fee to sit in a PE-marketed seat - they actually have to do a buy-up, resulting in a new fare code.

Last edited by IAH-OIL-TRASH; Jul 7, 2021 at 1:42 pm
Old Jul 7, 2021, 1:49 pm

Originally Posted by IAH-OIL-TRASH
United considers E+ just a different seat in the same cabin, just as preferred seats are. .
Why are we talking same cabin
They're not the same cabin...
... I'm in Polaris (Paid) and he's in Economy (Points), ....
drewguy likes this.
Old Jul 7, 2021, 2:15 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
They're not the same cabin.
E and E+ are absolutely the same cabin. You can tell, because they have the same letter!

(But really, the standard of service is the same, the recovery is the same, the IRROPS is the same... it's the same. Functionally, it's just a preferred seat with more leg room and a higher price.)

Seating different-PNR passenger next to you is not a published benefit, but is a practice. I think if you just call and say, "Hi I'm on flight XXX, can I get my companion on a different PNR in seat YZ" you will have good odds.

I've even done, "Hi, I booked (whoever) on flight XXX, can I get them in seat YZ" and had that work even when I'm not on the same flight! (I don't try this often so maybe I just got lucky.)
Old Jul 7, 2021, 2:28 pm

Programs: DYKWIA, But I'm a "Diamond Guest" UA 1K/2MM
Originally Posted by Kmxu
As a GS, I probably do this 10 times a year. II have never been denied. Not once.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.