Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > United Airlines | MileagePlus
Reload this Page >

Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, " off-pnr " [Consolidated]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Premier benefits for companions on separate tickets, " off-pnr " [Consolidated]

Search this Thread

Old Jun 3, 2017, 8:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by KAFlyer
You've successfully added companions (without status) on a separate PNR to the gate wait list? Are you sure? That's contrary to everything I've read.
I am very certain of it And yes, it was on UA ... and yes, recently as well. Where are you reading this is not possible? It is automatic when on the same reservation, but I have most definitely had GAs put a companion into F when they had unsold seats prior to departure.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 8:50 am

Programs: United Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by cfischer
I am very certain of it And yes, it was on UA ... and yes, recently as well. Where are you reading this is not possible? It is automatic when on the same reservation, but I have most definitely had GAs put a companion into F when they had unsold seats prior to departure.
Thanks. Do you know whether they were added with your Platinum 1K status?
Old Jun 3, 2017, 9:42 am

Programs: UA Plat MM, AA Gold MM, Marriott LTT, Hyatt Globalist
I am not aware that it is even possible to upgrade a companion who is not on the same PNR. I have always applied my RPU when my family travels with me and we're on different PNR.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by CIT85
I am not aware that it is even possible to upgrade a companion who is not on the same PNR. I have always applied my RPU when my family travels with me and we're on different PNR.
its possible to have a companion from a separate reservation added to the waitlist. However, it can only be done at the airport, as far as I know. And haven't tried in a while, but IME, and I mostly tried to do this within the first year or two after the merger, only some agents know how to properly do it.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 2:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Thanks. Do you know whether they were added with your Platinum 1K status?
no. The companion is added only when all others have cleared ... not NRSA as far as I can tell

Originally Posted by emcampbe
its possible to have a companion from a separate reservation added to the waitlist. However, it can only be done at the airport, as far as I know. And haven't tried in a while, but IME, and I mostly tried to do this within the first year or two after the merger, only some agents know how to properly do it.
exactly. You ask at the gate when you see there are unsold F seats after all revenue pax have cleared. Managed to do that twice last year.

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 16, 2019 at 4:44 pm Reason: merging consecutive posts by same member
Old Jun 3, 2017, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
You've successfully added companions (without status) on a separate PNR to the gate wait list? Are you sure? That's contrary to everything I've read.
I've done this multiple times. Easier with agents from the CO side.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 2:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat Pro, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
its possible to have a companion from a separate reservation added to the waitlist. However, it can only be done at the airport, as far as I know.
Correct.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 2:11 pm

no. The companion is added only when all others have cleared ... not NRSA as far as I can tell
Not the case. Companions added to the Upgrade Standby List at the gate are added at the tier of the elite member, but I believe behind all other elites at that same level, but ahead of the next tier down.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 5:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Don't wait till the gate. Ask at check-in. Or if early, at a Customer Service Center.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 6:09 pm

United must not look me then. My wife and I used our separate miles for tickets. With an E+ subscription they would not allow me to upgrade her seat - they said they had to be on the same reservation. Had to cancel and start over.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 6:45 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by edvasquez
United must not look me then. My wife and I used our separate miles for tickets. With an E+ subscription they would not allow me to upgrade her seat - they said they had to be on the same reservation. Had to cancel and start over.
The E+ companion benefit is only for elites, not for E+ subscribers.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 6:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1K and 1MM, Marriott Ambassador
I'm going to rant about lost 1K benefits for companion.

Originally BOS-IAD-BOS booked in SAME PNR with wife. Return upgrade didn't clear but was waitlisted.

Stupid UA system split the PNR! After we made SDC, they couldn't put wife on companion upgrade list with 1K priority.

It's not our fault for not being on the same PNR. UA system did the PNR split.
Old Jun 3, 2017, 7:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kb1992
I'm going to rant about lost 1K benefits for companion.

Originally BOS-IAD-BOS booked in SAME PNR with wife. Return upgrade didn't clear but was waitlisted.

Stupid UA system split the PNR! After we made SDC, they couldn't put wife on companion upgrade list with 1K priority.

It's not our fault for not being on the same PNR. UA system did the PNR split.
Well-documented (if frustrating) IT issue. Booking one-ways is the only way.
Old Jun 4, 2017, 1:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Correct. They should have your companion priority (i.e. your elite status, but below all other non-companions). But since you can't do an off-PNR companion until the airport the odds of them clearing are slim to none.
Old Jan 15, 2018, 7:21 pm

Programs: HHonors Diamond, MileagePlus Silver, Executive National
If I am flying say RNO-ORD on my own ticket and a friend ends up booking a RNO-ORD-RIC flight is it possible to have him be considered my companion on that RNO-ORD flight and get him E+ seats and or added to CPU list however unlikely that would be? Baggage and E+ would be much more important

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.